Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Halloween/Samhain Myths

Halloween/Samhain Myths

SO, I've been working on a website project about Halloween for a couple of years now, on and off. I know there are a lot of sites about Halloween/Samhain already, but it's something I'm very passionate about. I love to "inform" people and the number of GOOD sites out there is few.

Anyway, my question is, what are some common falsehoods, urban myths, and misnumers you've heard about Halloween/Samhain?

I'm going to make a True and False page to education people about the facts.

I have had co-workers that actually believe that witches hunt for virgins to sacrifice on Halloween. *le sigh*

That roaving packs of "satanists" (usually described as teenagers wearing all black and listening to death rock), will move from town to town abduting people, pets, and whatever else they can find to sacrifice to "Sam Hain", described in these urben legends as either a god, devil, or deified human cult leader. One retelling even went so far as to name him "Sammiel Hain"... which is mixing all kinds of stuff willynilly.

Another is that there are "covens of vampires" which use the atmosphere of the night to prey upon innocent people. Sometimes they're described as "classical" vampires, but the myth is usually updated to describe vampire lifestylers.

True! I hate that most of the "anti-halloween" sites I find label all witches, wicca, pagans as satanists. Get your religions straight! lol

I hadn't heard of the vampire one. Thanks! I'll need to add that...

The one myth that gets me (that I've even seen repeated in a Pagan book or two!) is that Samhain was the name of a Celtic god. Of course he's supposed to be a god of the dead too.

Ben Gruagach
    MysticWicks forum guide in "Paths: Wicca", "Books" and "History"
    author of The Wiccan Mystic: Exploring a Magickal Spiritual Path
    visit my website at http://www.witchgrotto.com
    read my LiveJournal blog
    find me on Facebook

is offline has the right to eat chocolate
    I have loads of these...the file is on my other computer. Will post tomorrow.

One of my favourites is that if a candle flame turns blue, that means a ghost is nearby.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Gruagach View Post
    The one myth that gets me (that I've even seen repeated in a Pagan book or two!) is that Samhain was the name of a Celtic god. Of course he's supposed to be a god of the dead too.
    Same here, or, that all ancient Pagans celebrated Samhain.

Quote Originally Posted by Iris View Post
    I have loads of these...the file is on my other computer. Will post tomorrow.

One of my favourites is that if a candle flame turns blue, that means a ghost is nearby.
    I loved that one! I can't tell you how many times in my childhood we tried to contact a ghost and waited for the candle flame to turn blue!

is offline has the right to eat chocolate
    I don't remember where I got this from but it's been on my hard drive for a few years. Here goes.

Halloween Superstitions

If you hear foot steps behind you on this night, don't look back. It may be the dead following you. Turning back could mean that you will soon join the dead.

Girls who carry a lamp to a spring of water on this night can see their future husband in the reflection.

An old tradition was that girls should go into a field and there scatter the seed of hemp. While they did so they chanted “Hempseed I sow thee Come after me and show me”. Upon suddenly turning round, it was declared that each girl would see a vision of the man who would be her husband.

Bobbing for Apples - Each member of the party is given an apple, from which a small piece has been cut, and into which a fortune written on a slip of paper has been inserted. The apples are thrown into a large tub of water and the company invited to duck their heads and retrieve an apple with their mouths. Upon doing so they draw out the slip of paper and read their fortune.

To find out of your lover is true - select one of the letters which you have received from your sweetheart. Lay it wide open upon a table and then fold it nine times. Pin the folds together, place the letter in your left-hand glove, and slip it under your pillow. If on that night you dream of silver, gems, glass, castles or clear water, your lover is true and his declarations are genuine; if you dream of linen, storms, fire, wood, flowers, or he is saluting you, he is false and has been deceiving you.

The old Celtic custom was to light great bonfires on Halloween, and after these had burned out to make a circle of the ashes of each fire. Within this circle, and near the circumference, each member of the various families that had helped to make a fire would place a pebble. If, on the next day, any stone was out of its place, or had been damaged, it was held to be an indication that the one to whom the stone belonged would die within twelve months.

If a bat flies into a house it is a sign that ghosts are about and maybe the ghost let the bat in
    If a bat flies around a house 3 times, it is a death omen.

Peel an apple from top to bottom. If you throw the apple peel over your shoulder, the initial it forms upon landing is the initial of your future mate.

When bobbing for apples, it is believed that the first person to bite an apple would be the first to marry.

If you go to a crossroads at Halloween and listen to the wind, you will learn all the most important things that will befall you during the next twelve months.

A person born on Halloween can see and talk to spirits

To prevent ghosts coming into the house at Halloween, bury animal bones or a picture of an animal near the doorway.

Many people used to believe that owls swooped down to eat the souls of the dying. If they heard an owl hooting, they would become frightened. A common remedy was thought to be that turning your pockets inside out made you safe

You should walk around your home three times backwards and counterclockwise before sunset on Halloween to ward off evil spirits

If you ring a bell on Halloween, it will scare evil spirits away

If a candle flame suddenly turns blue, there's a ghost nearby

Thanks, Iris!!! That really helps.

There's a lot of divination myths...interesting. Everyone wanted to know who their husband was going to be!

Quote Originally Posted by Weatherly View Post
    SO, I've been working on a website project about Halloween for a couple of years now, on and off. I know there are a lot of sites about Halloween/Samhain already, but it's something I'm very passionate about. I love to "inform" people and the number of GOOD sites out there is few.

Anyway, my question is, what are some common falsehoods, urban myths, and misnumers you've heard about Halloween/Samhain?

I'm going to make a True and False page to education people about the facts.

I have had co-workers that actually believe that witches hunt for virgins to sacrifice on Halloween. *le sigh*
    Why? Do you really think another site is going to change anything? Or is this just your personal form of mental masturbation?

While there may be a shortage of "good" sites in your opinion, there is no shortage of books on the subject.
    Brought to you by the
    National Association For Addressing Prejudice Against Jackasses (NAFAPAJ).
    Not all witches are love and light, nor are they all hate and darkness.
    Some witches are just real mothers - like me.
    You cannot carve a beautiful sculpture in stone with loving strokes.
    It takes a hammer, a chisel, and a lot of aggression that needs converted.
    I am aware of how nasty I come across.
    If others have the right and freedom to be sweetness and light,
    I have the right to be spit and vinegar.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast