Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Example Of Atheistic Spirituality

Quote Originally Posted by Benvarry View Post
    I approve of this thread.

I think atheistic spirituality can also be an expanded way of looking at the world. I can look at a tree and see simply an unconscious (but immensely complex) assemblage of life chemicals, but when I'm in a different frame of mind it becomes also a symbol for beauty or strength or wisdom that I can weave into whatever mundane thing I'm contemplating. Or some days it's just what other people see - a tree: decoration for the sidewalk maybe. Somewhere for my dog to pee. But it's all spiritual in its way, to me. This may be going in a totally different direction than the OP intended. But there you are!
    I think that comes closest to my own ways of looking at the world. Sometimes I look at a crowd of people rushing by and think how amazing it is that there are so many thinking, feeling conciousnesses (my spellchecker says that's not a word!) in the world to potentially link to; at another time, it's just a crowd of people getting in my way!
    I now call myself an atheist pagan - I never could really believe in the Gods and Godesses as real beings - just as archetypes and, as you say, symbols to live up to.
    Last edited by ValD; November 24th, 2009 at 12:52 PM.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Oakleaf Circle - Pagan Resources in the UK
    Astrology!

Beautifully put and inspiring Njourn Alma!
    More and more I find myself leaning towards more atheistic viewpoints. Seeing the Divine as symbols, vehicles for concepts and as archetypes instead.

To have someone else be so "spiritual" without needing that divine presence to be a part of it is reassuring and interesting.

This is something I have been thinking about for a while.

The question is how do you define spirituality?

Thank you. I enjoyed reading this.

I have more in common with you belief-wise than I might have realized.
    The possibilities are endless.

is offline I was not born under a rhyming planet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vampiel View Post
    This is something I have been thinking about for a while.

The question is how do you define spirituality?
    For me spirituality is something that inspires and brightens your day. Something that "enriches" the spirit. Or lifts your spirit.
    A good song, a good book, little rituals, specific scents... all of these can be spiritual. Things that soothes your mind and helps you relax, things that puts things into perspective... It's kind of hard to define, I suppose.
    Previously known as Njorun Alma

"A mind of the calibre of mine cannot derive its nutriment from cows." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by Njorun Alma View Post
    For me spirituality is something that inspires and brightens your day. Something that "enriches" the spirit. Or lifts your spirit.
    A good song, a good book, little rituals, specific scents... all of these can be spiritual. Things that soothes your mind and helps you relax, things that puts things into perspective... It's kind of hard to define, I suppose.
    That makes sense, and would like to continue the discussion http://www.mysticwicks.com/showthread.php?t=229851 because I think it warrants its own thread as defining what "spirituality" is.

Quote Originally Posted by Benvarry View Post
    I approve of this thread.

I think atheistic spirituality can also be an expanded way of looking at the world. I can look at a tree and see simply an unconscious (but immensely complex) assemblage of life chemicals, but when I'm in a different frame of mind it becomes also a symbol for beauty or strength or wisdom that I can weave into whatever mundane thing I'm contemplating. Or some days it's just what other people see - a tree: decoration for the sidewalk maybe. Somewhere for my dog to pee. But it's all spiritual in its way, to me. This may be going in a totally different direction than the OP intended. But there you are!
    I definitely agree with this - this is what non-theist spirituality is to me. Just finding beauty in everything, and getting a sense of joy from that alone.

Namaste & Blessed Be } |

My Blog: http://littlecitywitch.tumblr.com

Hmm

Quote Originally Posted by Njorun Alma View Post
    Seeing as how there has been a lot of questions and such about being spiritual and being an atheist I though I'd post a few of the things in my life I do that I view as spiritual as an example of how atheistic spirituality can look.

First of all I have little morning rituals that I try to remember to do every morning... I sit down in the back yard and look out over the trees surrounding it and sip my tea, thinking about the beauty of the world around me, the vastness of the sky and how happy I am to be a part of this magnificent universe.

I have a little "altar" like thing where I have two strawberry scented candles, incense, my Buddhist mantra beads and a pendant that I inherited from my grandmother.
    It's good for me to have this one little corner where I can sit down, light candles, breath and practice mindfulness. (Being here and now without judging)
    The only thing the little table is dedicated to is myself and my well-being.

I make brewing my tea and drinking it into a small ceremony at least once a day... also with the purpose of mindfulness, something I learned in therapy.

I practice what one might call "magic" every now and then with mantras, affirmations, aromatherapy, herbal lore and similar things.
    While I do not believe in Gods or Goddesses that does not mean that I do not believe in rituals and ceremonies to focus your mind on specific things, allowing yourself to put more energy into what you need and want.

I believe in the power that symbols and habits have on our psyche and our mind, and I gladly indulge in symbolism that means a lot to me.

While most of my spirituality is based on psychology and I am fully aware of that, I do not think it makes me any less spiritual than someone who believes in Gods and Goddesses.
    And it doesn't make me less of an Atheist either.

I hope this made sense to those of you who find the concept of atheistic spirituality interesting.
    Have a fabulous day!
    I used to call myself a Spiritual Atheist but it got on nerves so I set off to find a new title for myself. Im pretty settled on Solitary Pagan these days though I was recently told Im a Pantheist so I dont know really but I do pretty well the exact same things you do, I have an altar-Mine has candles, oils, Incense, Sage, a bowl of water, A Turtle statue, rose petals and seashells at the moment on it, I change it ever so often to reflect where I am on my spiritual path.

I meditate, do affirmative prayer, spirit dance, Chant, Garden and cook, I also do Magic which I consider to be HIGHLY Psychological with the possibility that it does do some good outside of myself, I might light a candle for a sick friend for example mainly because I have a chronic illness myself and when I see the candle I think, wow, someone else is far worse off than me because lets face it, it can always be worse!

I do believe Nature is Sacred, Holy and Divine though, someone said to me that Divine implies a Creator or a deity and I dont see it, I dont believe in any God or Goddesses, Just Nature and The Universe which to me deserves religious respect, reverence and Honor mainly I admit because I was raised Pagan and this was a belief that was ingrained into me but I do just find myself staring out at the stars or the forests around me and feel so interconnected to the magnificance of it all.

So, I am glad to see someone who has similar beliefs and ideas regardless of what you choose to call it and I like this thread

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2