Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What to wear with rather hippie-looking ethnic pants? (Besides tie-dye?)

What to wear with rather hippie-looking ethnic pants? (Besides tie-dye?)

I wasn't sure whether to post this in textiles or beauty & fashion.

OK, so I've gained weight and can't fit my big fat butt into my old jeans anymore. Desperate for pants and having no money, I did a search on the internet for free pants patterns, because I do have fabric/sheets lying around that can be turned into clothes. I found a jackpot of pants patterns, but many of them are ethnic: salwars (the authentic ethnic version of the "I-wore-these-in-the-80's-before-MC Hammer-made-them-popular-and-ruined-them" pants) Thai fisherman's pants, Indian and Japanese lounge pants that are like pajama pants, and harem pants, as we well as wrap pants (not really "ethnic" but often included on the costuming and free pattern pages on bellydance sites, which is a good place to find free exotic clothing patterns.)

I made some Thai fisherman's pants last night, out of some calico, and so of course they look kind of hippie. I'll be making plain red Thai pants, and either a salwar or harem pants out of this wonderful brown cotton crinkle gauze. Some of the patterns are authentic, but a lot of the fabric won't be, because quilting calico and solid color sheets are a lot of what I have to work with.

So what (besides tie-dye, which, believe it or not, even people like me get bored with after awhile) can one wear with calico or gauze ethnic pants? I'm finding no suggestion of what Thai fishermen wore with their pants! I've been looking for kurta patterns on the internet, and may end up modifying an SCA T-tunic. Any other suggestions? I kind of want to hide my belly, but the Thai pants have a panel that folds over and looks kind of nice so I don't want to hide that, either.

Suggestions would make me oh so happy! And if anyone knows where I can find a free kurta pattern, I'll be even happier!

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!

Are you up for knitting or crocheting? Some nice shrug sweaters over tees or tanks (depending on climate) could be cute.

"Keep away from small people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great." --Mark Twain

If having a deep disdain for entertaining the cerebrally challenged in politics makes one a bigot than the Queen Bigot am I.

If you search for the laws of harmony, you will find knowledge
    ~temple wall in Luxor~

I don't know how to knit or crochet yet, but I know how to deconstruct a sweater for recycled yarn.

Look at this link
    Code:
    http://www.thefashionpolice.net/images/6a00d8341c873353ef011570e7d02f970c.jpg
    those kind of tops are ultra feminine and long...might be what you're looking for. I've worn that type of top (wish I knew what the name of them are) with my harem pants and hip belts when we dance at a place that wants our tummies covered.
    Last edited by Lady Draven; November 23rd, 2009 at 03:23 PM.

What about an empire waist line hankerchief top? Something like this but I'd alter it a bit...
    http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php...ng_id=33666580
    Last edited by HetHert; November 23rd, 2009 at 03:58 PM.

"Keep away from small people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great." --Mark Twain

If having a deep disdain for entertaining the cerebrally challenged in politics makes one a bigot than the Queen Bigot am I.

~temple wall in Luxor~

Quote Originally Posted by HetHert View Post
    Are you up for knitting or crocheting? Some nice shrug sweaters over tees or tanks (depending on climate) could be cute.
    Thinking more along the lines of a shrug - I can't knit myself, but I wonder if I could reconstruct a sweater to make something like this:

http://www.fitzpatterns.com/collecti...sewing-pattern

and wear it over a black tee?

I like the handkercheif top, and could probably make it without a pattern. I'm a bit larger than I want to be, would it make me look bigger?

Lady Draven, that looks like a women's kurta. I've been looking for patterns for one, and may resort to modifying a T-tunic.
    Last edited by brymble; November 23rd, 2009 at 08:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by brymble View Post
    Thinking more along the lines of a shrug - I can't knit myself, but I wonder if I could reconstruct a sweater to make something like this:

Too cute. That's what I was picturing earlier when I asked if you knitted or crocheted. Recycling a sweater for the same effect should be fun!

~temple wall in Luxor~

Quote Originally Posted by brymble View Post

I would say so. Black is your friend in Tee ot Tank form, keep it V-neck if possible ( more slimming that a boy T)
    Health&Beauty & Sports Forum Guide

This might be interesting for you to watch http://www.curbly.com/threadbanger/p...an-old-sweater

http://indietutes.blogspot.com/2007/...nt-blouse.html

Here's a tutorial for a peasant blouse. I might have to try this one myself! I'm always trying to find something to wear with broom/patchwork/gypsy skirts. One can only do tie dye and Grateful Dead or Beatles or Zeppelin shirts for so long!
    Our Blog! The Intuitive Unschooler

Freaky Mama to Arlo, Donovan, and Iris! (Homeschooled since birth!)

as well as three cats, six cockatiels, and one parakeet.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast