Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Long Distance Relationship (LDR) Support

So I got engaged two nights ago. It's awfully nice to have something to look forward to now...we hope to move in together around May or so and get married in November.

How is everyone else doing?
    -little owl[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Very good idea for a thread. I know long distance relationships can be hard. My boyfriend Brian and I had been in love long distance for several years before we would ever admit it. We became friends online and began talking on the phone and we immediately clicked. We were always talking, every day, sometimes three or more times a day. He confessed that he loved me, but would not hinder my current relationship. I was married at the time, to an abusive man, yet I am faithful and wanted to save my relationship. So I would not admit any feelings for Brian at the time. We went on as friends for about 4 years, until my husband's frustration turned toward my children. They were never hurt, but we'll just say that what happened was enough to scare the daylights out of me and we separated. There was a rough time in between there. I stayed single for about a year, and continued talking to Brian via phone. He continued letting me know that he loved me, but would not push me into a relationship until and if I was ready for one. After a year of being single I finally got up the guts to let him know that I was prepared to try a relationship again and I would give him a chance long distance and see how it went. We dated long distance for a month less than a year before it was too much to be so far apart. We couldn't make trips to see each other at all. Neither one of us had the means. So, he moved down here with me a month shy of our 1 year dating anniversary. He has been here for almost two years now and I have never been happier or more content. My family finally feels whole again and I am at peace with my children and my Brian.
    As everyone else has stated, communication is very important. Brian and I talked a lot as friends and several times a day while we were dating long distance. He would call me to wake me up in the morning and talk to me via cell phone as I drove to college. He talked to me on my breaks at school and on my way to work. We talked on my break at work, on the way home, and then he would talk me to sleep at night as well. Sentimental things are very important. You're not there to hold him/her at night therefore you have to simulate that physical affection as much as possible. I know that talking to someone so much can seem strange, but at times it can help to simulate them actually being there. Long distance relationships can work! Stick with them! They can be some of the best relationships before and after the space between has been closed permanently!
    Starlyn Trinity Saphrose

I'm currently deployed to Iraq, engaged to be married next fall. I will admit that it's hard for me, not knowing what's going on back home. There are times when I let the depression swallow me because it feels like I'll explode if I don't. Any advice?

Cheers for the thread! LDR are very hard and take a lot of work, but they're totally worth it in the end! I've been with my SO for 6 and a half years and though things have been tough at times due to the distance, just being able to be mentally and emotionally connected to each other has made all the difference.

And congrats to everyone in this thread who have managed to keep their LDR going strong!

I was in a long distance relationship, it didn't work.

But I still think it can work. If it last, I think it is a measure of how strong the relationship is. I don't think its for everyone. Not everyone is willing to put in the patience that is needed to keep it working. I think it also may be a test of how strong minded a person is. Even though it didn't work out for me at first I wouldn't give up on long distance relationships.

Aww, I didn't even know this thread was here! :3

I'm a survivor; I was with a man for about a year and 9 months before we got married and moved in together. Unfortunately we have had TERRIBLE luck and I don't know how we've made it this far, but somehow we have. Dealt with a TON of job loss and economic issues though.

Here's some advice I really, really wish I knew: DON'T move in together right away!! Don't get me wrong, living together is awesome, but it's also super stressful on both of you. So, try and ease into it if you can; it will help you adjust. It's jarring to go from never seeing someone to living with them, and you learn intimate details you never thought you'd know...like that my husband reuses dishes all the time (ew) or that I wear the same pair of socks three days in a row (come on, it's not like my feet sweat that much! May as well save some water...)

Good luck everyone, you can do it!!

I'm in a LDR right now. I got a studentship in WY and my better half is still in MA. He is able to come here every 1-2 months. However, come May, he is moving back to his home country for a new position. He will still be able to come here every so often, but it's going to be much harder, especially with the severe time difference....

My biggest complaint is being alone at night.

Bless the internet, though.....

ETA:
    We've been together nearly 3 years now, but physically separated for only 8 months.
    Last edited by antiquitas; March 15th, 2011 at 10:56 PM.

just sent my SO away again.....

but will see him for my brother's wedding mid-April.

still,

sigh.

:o

Hello. I just found out my boyfriend is moving to Austin, Texas. I am surprised that he is planning to move in two months. I thought he was going to move sometime next year. I miss him already. I am in living in Central New Jersey.

"Madness takes its toll, please have exact change".

-Jessica [aka Whitewolf][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Myspace:http://www.myspace.com/White_Wolf1

My Paganspace page: http://www.paganspace.net/profile/whitewolf51

I'm no stranger to long distance relationships...
    things are going really well with my sweetheart, we got engaged on his most recent visit here and are planning for 2 more trips this year! I'll be finishing my diploma in the spring and at that point we're making the move - I'll be moving from Western Canada to the Eastern USA! Eek!

TWM's Blog

Check out MWMagazine!
    MW FORUM GUIDE - Dreams and Divination + A Pagan's Life.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast