Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Questionnaire for Ex-Christians

Questionnaire for Ex-Christians

I made this up myself, asking the things about which I am curious:

1. What denomination of Christianity did you start in?

2. How old were you when you left for something else?

3. Why?

4. What was your first interest and how did you pursue it?

5. Are you in the same path now? (If not, why?)

6. Will you raise your kids in that path? (If not, why not?)

7. How did your friends and parents reacted?

8. Do you feel comfortable expressing your faith publicly?

9. Are you completely satisfied with your path, or are you seeking something else?

10. Do you have friends on the same path (not on MW) with whom you can worship or conduct rituals?

There ya go. Another questionnaire! Oh, and atheists can answer it, too, of course.
    Last edited by Cunae; November 28th, 2009 at 07:22 PM.

Okay, what the heck.

Church of Christ

39 years old

3. Why?
    I was sick of the contradictions and sicker of the people who thought problems would go away if you prayed about them.

4. What was your first interest and how did you persue it?
    Do you mean my first religious interest after leaving the church?
    Metaphysics. I wanted to learn how to shield and block all the stuff I was being bombarded with as an Empath. Later I learned that shields aren't always the best way to handle it. That led to the Goddess talking to me and my wanting to learn more about her.

Yes. 20 years later I'm still on the Wiccan path.

Nope. My daughter is all raised now and her path is her choice. I talk to my grandchildren a little bit about my beliefs.

My friend were cool with it. My mother was not happy at first, but she accepted it in her own way.

Most of the time. I don't find myself in very many situations where I wouldn't be comfortable. One would be at my grandchildren's school, this is about me, not my grandchildren.

9. Are you completely satisfied with your path, or are you seeking something else?
    I'm quite happy with my path, but I enjoy learning about other paths now and then.

10. Do you have friends on the same path (not on MW) with whom you can worship or conduct rituals?
    Some of my friends are also Pagans, and I have another group of friends that I worship with.

I made this up myself, asking the things about which I am curious:

I was raised in a family tradition and attended what I think was a Southern Baptist Church initially. As family moved about attended other churchs but think they were the same.

The last time I attended church I had to be about 15 or so. Up to that point it was hit or miss.

3. Why?

Truthfully it was because the kids were left on a bus in the winter for services. The pastor had a thing about girls had to be in dresses and boys where damned if we had long hair.

After that my younger brother never went back nor did I. My sister's continued for a bit longer then they stopped. To date only one of my sister's is heavly involved in Christanity the rest are somewhat believers but it's mixed with the lessons we were taught growing up.

Just general occult things. Studied all I could through reading and speaking with others. Never had a strick name for it though what I was taught and those I met I found out names for facets of it.

No. Today I follow more of a Greenwitch / Warrior Shamanic type pathwalk. Yet all I did over the years moved and pushed me into the pathway I follow today.

No I speak to them of my beliefs but encourage them to discover and explore on their own. I tell them it is not my place to set thier trail though I can guide them when possible and always be available to talk over anything they desire.

Well at the time my father refused to place us or force us into any religion. All of us (5 total - 3 girls / 2 boys) were encouraged to be what ever we wanted and explore any thing we desired.

That's more difficult to answer. I have no problem speaking about it or telling when asked. I simply do not project or wear it visibly. My faith is carried within and what I honor has no need of me wearing signs or jewerly to remind me of that belief.

I'm never fully satisfied for there is always something new to learn or be taught. I suppose I shall be a seeker untll death claims me in this body. But then I shall simply seek upon another plain.

At this point in my life my rituals are pretty much singular in nature. I honor and recognize in my own way and method. I perform few rituals or ceremonies as I am always speaking to Spirit and my gods / goddesses. Every day is a ritual or ceremony for me in that I observe the world and see thier place and influence upon it.

There ya go. Another questionnaire! Oh, and atheists can answer it, too, of course.

Peer Pressure. "You don't believe? You're goin' to hell!!"
    Five or Six.
    3. Why?
    Inane concepts were demanded to be taken on faith. Everything began 6000 years ago?? Yeah, right!!
    Communing with nature, energy work. I encountered like-minded people.
    When I can...
    If she so chooses. I might council against rabid practices of any faith.
    7. How did your friends and parents react?
    Hippie parents were hep, friends didn't ask.
    Yes, but I expect scepticism. I am generally discreet.
    I would like to practice more.
    There must be some around, but I have not had a chance to seek them out yet.
    In each of the last two places that I lived, I was fortunate enough to meet an awesome preistess, who made particpation fun and easy. I would really like to meet one around here.
    The secret ingredient is LOVE!!

Anglican/Episcopalian

28 years old. The last few times I have been in a church, it was for a wedding or a funeral. I won't go otherwise.

3. Why?
    Because psychic awareness was considered the "work of the devil" and I believed there was more to life than the Christian Bible says there is.

Wicca... I read up on it but found it wasn't for me.

No... I started out studying Wicca then turned to Christo-Paganism. At first, I was a Christian Wicca but my path eventually evolved to Christian Witchcraft.

No. I had religion pushed on me by my mother and I do not wish that for my son. When he is ready to find a path, I will help him find the path that is right for him.

My father passed away before I started down my current path. My mother doesn't know... I'd be excommunicated from the family if she or my sister ever found out the truth. (They think I'm a liberal Christian who doesn't attend church). Some of my friends know and they don't care what my path is... In fact, one of them has even asked me for help in times of trouble. My in laws are okay with it, especially my husband's siblings, and they are very supportive. My husband is VERY supportive of my path and has even helped me prepare for rituals, etc. :D

Not really, due to the fact that there are a lot of fundamental Christians in the area... Even though I am on what's considered a Christian path, they look at the pagan side of my beliefs and freak out. Besides, I believe that one's path is one's own and one doesn't have to advertise it if they choose not to.

Yes, I am very satisfied with my path right now.

Unfortunately, no... Pagans are not very common in my area, Christo-Paganism is even rarer. To my knowledge, I'm the only Christian Witch in my county.

*****DISCLAIMER: I answered this survey because I consider myself more Pagan than Christian.*********
    Last edited by Cloaked Raven; November 28th, 2009 at 06:39 PM.
    "Writing is as vital to me as breathing. Without it, I wouldn't be living, only exisiting." ~ Me

Cloaky

Happy 150th Birthday, Canada!
    1867 - 2017

Non-Denominational, however with Catholic and Assemblies of God influences from my mom and dad respectively. Basically my mother was raised in a Catholic family so I was exposed to that throughout my life and my father was raised in the Assemblies of God churches and that influenced my upbringing as well. I also went to Baptist church every now and then with my grandmother. As long as I wasn't Catholic and fell under the Christan branch my dad didn't really care what church I went to.

It was a gradual shift between the ages of 15 and 16.

3. Why?
    To put things in perspective at the time I had been going to a small, country church for several years. It was non-denominational, however the people around me were small and closed-minded. At around the same time I began being interested in history and began to have a more "secular", accepting mind set. I began to see fallacies and inaccuracies in the sermons as well as a complete closed-mindedness. I began debating with the preacher after sermons, switching notes, etc. I began to become more and more disillusioned with the whole thing and then I was introduced to Paganism in the beginning of 10th grade via a girl who would become a best friend of mine later on. From the time I found Paganism and began learning about it I became more attracted to it until I ultimately, eventually left the church for a more general pagan path.

I had a lot of first interests, however what has stuck around the longest has been a love for observing the wheel of the year, observing nature and understand its importance in all its beauty and glory, certain deities, gems, herbs, the list goes on. I was drawn more to a Green Witch path and later I was also drawn to Heathen paths.

Somewhat. I have always been eclectic. I have never been on a specific, set path such as Wicca or Asatru or any other path. However I still and observe most of the very same things that drew me to paganism in the first place.

Nope and especially not if I'm still with Nick since he's an Atheist. I will practice around my kids, let them know what I believe and how I feel at the time but I won't force it on them and will try not to indoctrinate them. I may also take them to rituals if I stop being solitary or feel like going to a local get-together, but I won't force anything on them. When they're ready and want to start looking into other things they will be welcome to do so without fear of being punished or disappointing me.

My friends didn't much care. At the time my two closest friends were an atheist and the chick who introduced me to paganism in the first place. My parents were really upset and tried to change my mind. They hoped I was being rebellious or going through a phase. Now that they realize I'm still "me" and haven't become evil, and have had time to get used to the way I believe now they are so much more comfortable with things. They realize I'm an adult now and have to make my own decisions.

Somewhat. I wear symbols of my faith openly, however whether or not I talk about it is a different story. I feel if the time, place, and person asking is appropriate I will share my beliefs with them, however if I don't I won't. I don't feel the need to openly state I am this or that however.

I am but I am also growing in it every day. I find myself sliding towards more agnostic beliefs and becoming more skeptical however. I'm moving away from deity and more towards observing the seasons if that makes sense.

Nope because my path is so eclectic there is no one else I know who believe exactly as I do.

Hope that helps..it was kind of fun.

Feel free to ask follow ups.

I was raised Methodist, though my father is Episcopalian.

I began feeling dissatisfied probably around 14, but didn't really begin to claim being pagan until I was 16.

3. Why?
    It just didn't fit right.

I just began studying general paganism through books and the internet.

I am still a pagan, mostly eclectic, that hasn't changed.

Probably, but I can't say. I'm only 17 and plan to be much older when I decide to have children.

My mother was really against it, but has come around more. She listens now and doesn't seem just downright angry anymore. My father and friend's reactions ranged from cool to what to not caring.

Not particularly, no.

I'm always searching, growing and learning.

Nope. I'm a lone ranger.
    Last edited by evergreen; November 28th, 2009 at 06:41 PM.

Non-denominational.

Probably around 12. Maybe closer to 15.

3. Why?
    I got tired of being told that all the answers were in the Bible...even when the Bible stated that what they (my mother in particular) were teaching was wrong.

Satanism was first for about 2 weeks then moved on to Wicca for about a month. I couldn't really pursue it because the libraries and book stores didn't have any books I could read on either subject. And by the time I managed to get online with any privacy at all I was interested in other subjects.

There are aspects that are the same, but a majority of what I believe in these days is vastly different from what I started out to learn about. So no, it isn't the same. And I would guess that is because I've grown in my beliefs.

If I ever have kids they will have the chance to find their own Paths. The only things I will insist on them learning about my own Path is that everyone is entitled to believe as they wish and it isn't up to them/me/anyone to say differently. (As long as it isn't hurting anyone that is.)

My mother believed I was possessed by the devil and took me to our pastor for an exorcism (at 16).

The only friend who knew was my Mate and we were kept from seeing each other until I was 21 (lost touch and stuff), but she was on a similar Path so she accepted me as I was.

I've gotten a bit more comfortable with it, but I still end up guarding my words very carefully (even with my Beloved).

I'm always willing to learn and grow, so I guess I'm always seeking. But for the most part I'm very happy to be on my Path.

Not really. I'm less likely to be open with someone sitting next to me than through a computer screen. Even my Mate and I didn't share everything.
    What We have fought and bled for will never be lost to us.

Catholic

13 when I quit believing, 18 when I was able to leave my Catholic High School

3. Why?
    Not my calling, I felt no connection
    I did not know what Paganisim was, I looked more into Budisim
    I am a solitary hedge/gree/kitchen witch
    My son is 14 and has decided that Christianity is not for him. He has yet to find his path, I am very open so he can worship how he chooses
    It was more of a don't ask - don't tell. My friends know and well.. think I am odd anyway, until they need help with something... then it is"Glowy, come salt my home"

I am not ashamed. I did not wear a cross, nor do I wear a penticle. If asked, I will answer honestly
    There is always room for more knowledge.

I have friends that "dabble" but.. I prefer to be solitary.
    Health&Beauty & Sports Forum Guide

is offline I was not born under a rhyming planet.
    Church Of Sweden

About fifteen to sixteen years old.

3. Why?
    My confirmation priest would constantly tell me I was "unchristian" because I was a vegetarian, because I liked crystals, because I believed this and that.
    And occasionally he would tell me that the only place in Christianity for me would be with the Catholics.
    Eventually I realized that Christianity just didn't fit in with what I believed and went down another path.

4. What was your first interest and how did you pursue it?

I started studying all kinds of different religious believes. I think I actually contemplated Judaism for a while before moving on to more "unconventional" religious paths.
    I was completely entranced with Buddhism but ended up starting to study Wicca instead.

No. I eventually found Wicca to be little better than Christianity and I am currently an Atheist. I suppose all in all I still have a lot of love for Buddhism, but I will not commit myself to that label before I have conducted a heck of a lot of research.
    I still have a fairly "witchy and pagan" spiritual side to my life, however it is not based on Gods and Goddesses as supernatural at all.

I will raise my kids with knowledge about a lot of religions and I don't think I'll point out any one more than the other.

I have an atheistic mother and a agnostic father. My mum was ecstatic.

Not in this house, lack of faith in God and Jesus sort of... well... gets you into a very long and annoying discussion.

I'm perfectly fine with where I am right now.

Seeing as how the closest thing to a ritual we have is drinking beer and watching Carl Sagan videos, I have my husband to do that with.
    Last edited by Aeon Flux; November 28th, 2009 at 07:51 PM.
    Previously known as Njorun Alma

"A mind of the calibre of mine cannot derive its nutriment from cows." - George Bernard Shaw

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast