Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: Questionnaire for Ex-Christians

New Iberia, LA desperately seeking real estate in Rivendell
    Quote Originally Posted by Cunae View Post
    I made this up myself, asking the things about which I am curious:

1. What denomination of Christianity did you start in?
    Episcopal
    2. How old were you when you left for something else?
    Well, I started drifting away from Christianity in my late teens and started the Wiccan path when I was 23.
    3. Why?
    Christianity just didn't fit me anymore. It didn't work. It left me wanting. God was unknowable and remote. The system is too contradictory and irrational. Half of the rules made no sense.
    4. What was your first interest and how did you pursue it?
    I actually stumbled across Wicca in a Mack Bolan novel (a series of books about a special forces vigilante. I them devoured as a teen and young man). In this particular book, the hero battled a satanic cult and got help from a Wiccan. Years later I was reading about Druids and noticed the resemblance it had to the novel's portrayal of Wicca, so I started reading up on Wicca. It was like a curtain had lifted. Ray Buckland described it as feeling like coming home after a long journey, and he was right. Well, I'd say it was more like waking up from a coma. One of the big epiphanies I had while still just sniffing around Wicca was a little thought experiment: I never gelled with the whole "God, the Father Almighty" thing because I was so young when my father died I don't remember him. I don't know what it's like to have a father. My mother was the primary force in my childhood. So one day I thought, "Well, why not Goddess, the Mother Almighty?" and BANG! Instant personal relationship with divinity. No more vague, remote God. While I have no trouble knowing the Lady, I still have trouble knowing the Lord, but I'm getting better. Wiccan beliefs and Celtic gods made so much more sense and fit me so much better.
    5. Are you in the same path now? (If not, why?)
    Yep.
    6. Will you raise your kids in that path? (If not, why not?)
    My wife wants to raise them in her tradition (Roman Catholic) and that's as good a starting point for their journey as any. My 14 year old daughter has turned to Wicca. I don't know if she'll stay with it or not. I help her as best I can but I stress she doesn't have to follow the path just because I do.
    7. How did your friends and parents reacted?
    Once I convinced Mom my soul was in no danger, she was cool. Dad died when I was 2. My wife and kids are the only others who know. Well, I did tell a couple of my students at a community college, but otherwise I've kept my mouth shut because:
    8. Do you feel comfortable expressing your faith publicly?
    If I had only myself to consider, yes, but I don't want anything to splash onto my family, so I keep my mouth shut. Violence would be unlikely, but it would cause them unnecessary headaches, and I think it selfish for me to subject them to that just so I can come out of the broom closet, although it does cause loyalty issues (loyalty to the Lord and Lady vs loyalty to family).
    9. Are you completely satisfied with your path, or are you seeking something else?
    My only complaint is the fluffy bunnies, and any group/demographic/category is going to have members I don't like.
    10. Do you have friends on the same path (not on MW) with whom you can worship or conduct rituals?
    No, and if I did I probably wouldn't worship with them. I loooooooooovvvvve being a solitary.
    "I would rather make the gravest of mistakes than surrender my own judgement." -- Cora Munroe in Last of the Mohicans

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -- Conan the Barbarian in "Tower of the Elephant" by Robert E. Howard

"Moral outrage has little effect on a cat." -- Garrison Keillor

"There aren't many problems than can't be fixed
    with $700 and a .30-06." -- Jeff Cooper. Or maybe it was his daughter Lindy. I can't remember.

ChurchofChrist

I'd say 20

3. Why?
    For one thing it just didn't answer my questions I had.
    Like why do we have a father but no mother everyone on earth has a father and mother why not us?
    How do you know your church is true a billion religions say the same and Have holy books they see as true.
    I also, Lothed the idea everyones going to hell but this Church..I don't know if all ChurchesofChrist are like this but this one was.
    I'v tried ChurchofChrist,Baptist,Pentacostal,LatterdaySaints, ChurchofGod it was all the same. Everyones going to hell, Your questions are mysterys or devilish what ever! No room for exploration I like exploring and I can't be kept in a little cube for long.
    They say you gotta believe this! This only and Do this only...Never could.

I think my first interest was finding my "mother" I just couldn't escape the idea.
    I decided on my own that Mary was her cause God wouldn't give his kid to just anybody. But, I don't know now I am doubtful she can be considered a Goddess But I was a kid I didn't think about it.
    I studied other religions in encylopedias and Really liked the Sun God Apollo and Moon Goddess because you can see the sun and moon.
    I started studying Wicca when I moved out in 95.
    I decided onetime to look up Witchraft on the internet and Found Wicca.
    It had a Mother and A Father, No hell, Reincarnation sounds better and All Gods and Goddesses are one so no one is wrong in that sense.

I'm not in the path I was when I left Christianity.
    I wanted to learn Wicca so I joined a course I had no problem with worshipping and doing rituals with Celtic deities But..I didn't want to throw Mary and Jesus away So, They were the main ones in the middle.
    I also didn't quit reading the Bible, Writing stuff down So in a way I was teaching myself Christopaganism cause I was studying Wicca and The Bible.
    I studied Angels, ChristoPaganism, Gnosticism, Wicca, the internets full of stuff but, I had to leave the course cause I kept getting told I can't do that! I can't mix it it's wrong!
    You know..Them course people kinda remind me of the church I left..Oh, Well I found more tolerant people.
    The Coven I was in was ok with this they gave me sites and books.
    I'm not in the Christopagan path anymore cause i'm tired of arguing with people.
    Some Christians Don't like me enough being Pagan without mixing it
    Some Pagans don't like it cause the Bible forbids witchcraft even says don't let them live in the old testament and Also, alot of Pagans in Alabama have gotten fired, kicked out of apartments, got children removed and Endless perscution in Alabama So, it's kind of a bad name to stick on Paganism.
    Note:I said some Christians and Pagans feel this way! So, Don't get mad and Say"I am not that way your grouping us together" No. I am not.
    This part of me isn't dead even tho because of arguing I have thought I must kill it But, Now I decided not to try to kill it anymore.
    I still study Angels, Gnosticism, ChristoPaganism But, I don't use the deitys or Say I am ChristoPagan.
    To label my path is pretty difficult I mean I got books onShamanism, Witchcraft,Wicca, Christian Mystics and just bought a Buddha statue to do meditations with So..Do I just smash all my interests together..It'd be a long name. I just remembered more stuff I got..You name I probally got it. If You name something I don't got i'll probally get it.
    So, What Path am I on all of them lol..Well, I was intitated Wiccan So I go with that cause I wasn't intitated in enything else.

I would like to let my kids if I ever have any..Explore diffrent religions coming up with their own ideas. I want them to feel free to explore.

Not so well at first I have had interventions, begging to throw everything away from my mom...Still wish I didn't do that..Alot of my Christian freinds and family actedabout like you would if you decided to start smokingcrack.
    They are loosening up better than they were. I wish I had more Pagan freinds around here.

No, Because I don't like arguing and debating like i'd get in this town.

9. Are you completely satisfied with your path, or are you seeking something else?
    I am satisfied with my path I just feel like I need to put all beliefs together somewhere I thought about making my own path many times.

10. Do you have friends on the same path (not on MW) with whom you can worship or conduct rituals?

Not in along while but I am looking.

There ya go. Another questionnaire! Oh, and atheists can answer it, too, of course.[/quote]

Catholic.

Thirteen.

3. Why?

There were questions the religion couldn't answer, quite a bit of hypocrisy and more hate than love, IMO.

Anything that emphasized nature/elements, had a duality(God/Goddess) and was tolerant.

I started looking at Wicca for the reasons above but researched other paths and religions but stayed with Wicca.

They will learn about different religions and choose when they are old enough to do so.

My best friend kept telling me I was going to hell and my mother was iffy.

I suppose though I don't feel the need to.

Satisfied.

Not currently though I'd like to.
    For all sad words of tongue and pen, the saddest are these, 'It might have been.'

John Greenleaf Whittier

Usually when people are sad, they don't do anything. They just cry over their condition. But when they get angry, they bring about a change.

Malcolm X

The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it.

W. M. Lewis

is offline enthralled by the infinite light

Non-Denom

3. Why?

I no longer believed in the claims that Christianity presented

Anything that gave me a direct experience that was backed up by reason

Yes

Yes

Harshly at first but now they embrace me.

Yes

Nothing else is needed

Quite a few actually!

Nothing. I was Christened Episcopalian but we never went to church, prayed as a family, told to pray as children, discussed the bible or anything like that.
    3. Why?
    I didn't agree with Christianity being the only way and I didn't like ignoring the spirit of the Earth that I knew existed.
    Wicca, by reading.
    No. I understand the idea of a duality but my mind won't allow me to have faith in it. I have no problems with people who are, I'm just not.
    I will raise my daughter to accept all religions and to spend her life discovering her own.
    When I was 15, my parents were just happy I wasn't atheist. My friends never found out, and my husband is supportive.
    No way.
    I'm satisfied with what I believe, it's difficult to find a name for it.
    No, I seriously wish I did.
    I am... Witchy Woman Incognito
    “Although only breath, words which I command are immortal.” - Sappho

Baptist

3. Why?

I was often accused of being "satans child" when I was younger because of how I dressed. I was judged not only by the way I dressed but my piercings, which, I didn't feel was right. Furthermore, Christianity is a very hypocritical religion that makes absolutely NO sense to me. I couldn't fathom humans being the only ones with souls, I felt close to nature and any pets we had at that time as well. I knew there was more too it then what their "bible" had to say.

I did some researching about Earth based religions and happened upon Wicca/Wiccan, it felt right but not completely so I continued searching until finally I came across Paganism. I studied bits and pieces while my parents were away or sleeping but I got caught one day and it was the end of it. I then become Agnostic for a while there because I did not know what I believed.

Recently I have began studying again. I am doing a year and a day study to be sure that this is right for me. I have become close to one or two god/ess's and I feel right about this. I am now an Eclectic Pagan.

Yes, I am still studying.

No, I will teach my children about the pagan religion however I will also teach them about other paths as well and let them decide what they believe. I hated being so limited and controlled when I was younger, I don't want them to feel the same.

It was not a surprise to friends. My parents still don't know but some other family members do, some have taken to it well and don't mind it. Others think I'm going to kill or curse them and then there are the ones who keep telling me I will go to hell.

Somewhat....I will express myself publicly if my parents are not around because I still live with them and have no where else to go if they find out.

I am very satisfied with my path. I feel more complete, relaxed, and able to move on with my life.

Yes, I have a couple of friends on the same path however we do not worship/ritual together simply because they do not live in the same state.

is offline Conqueror of the known world

Well I was never really a Christian by heart but I grew up going to a African Methodist Episcopal Church.

12, I started reading and studying and even gaining a high level of logic and comprehending at a very young age

3. Why?

I used to read a lot of books on cosmology, cosmogony, the Egyptians, Greeks and Romans and along with that I always noticed how Christians misinterpreted the Bible as well as lived hypocritical lives

Greek Polytheist Pagan Pantheon

Yes and no, my path is not specific to one pantheon as being the only way. But I place monotheistic Egypt on the highest.

Yes

My parents don't really know exactly the details of my system of belief but my friends are Christian and you know how biased Christians can be, they don't want to even hear you speak.

Yes

I am satisfied to the point where I'm almost comfortable but I won't ever be ultimately satisfied

nope no friends who are on the monotheistic Egypt path because mine is unique to anyones, it is my personal path.
    Last edited by Caesar; June 15th, 2010 at 03:49 AM.

Free will Baptist

3. Why?
    Since I was a small Child I had always had doubts that everything they had said in that church were true. I had ideas about spirituality and people at the age of 5 that I shouldn't even have been able to contemplate until I was an adult.

I immediately looked into your basic metaphysics (grounding, centering, sheilding, etc...) Whilst learning these things I Began to study other religions and Stumbled upon Wicca through a friend at school.

Yes and no. I am still wiccan, I have just evolved further into my studies that I am more eclectic wiccan.

Yes. I have already begun by introducing my 18 month old to Crystals and she is becoming familiar with nature.

Most of my friends were ok. It took a few of them time to warm up to the idea. Most of my family doesn't talk about it. They still adjusting. However, my mother who took it the hardest, is starting to come around.

I am more than comfortable. I am the type of person where if you ask me, I'll tell you, and if you don't like it... Oh well.

I am very satisfied. 20 years from now may be different because people change. However, as of now, I see myself comfortable with my faith for a very long time.

I do have friends on similar paths. However, because of work schedules and families, it is sometimes hard to do ritual together. But everytime that at least two of us can get together, we will.

Pentacostal, Church of God specifically

3. Why?
    I came to the realization that I did not believe it or feel it.

I was initially a self-styled atheist. I did this by supposing that since the Christian deity does not seem to exist, then no deity exists. I simply stopped caring or thinking about religion.

No. I eventually came to realize that I did not believe in "nothing," and began to look for the thing I did believe.

I will do my best to safeguard my children from exposure to any sort of religion in their formative years, so that they can evaluate and choose of their own rational accord.

My family are blissfully unaware. I have met many friends through my spiritual pursuits.

Yes.

I will perhaps never stop seeking.

Not since I left the military and moved to the Mid-West.

Southern Baptist

I was around 14 when I stopped beleiving in the Christian path but with the way I was raised it was pretty much impossible to explore anything else untill I was on my own. I started finding my own path around 22.

3. Why?

There are many reasons but I think what really did it for me was that my parents were lesbians and I was told practically every time I went to church that my parents were going to burn in hell for eternity because they loved each other. I was very devout in my younger years as my parents encouraged us to be strong christians despite their choices. Once I realized that I didnt think God would burn my parents for being gay I realized there were a lot of things I was being taught that I didnt agree with. I stopped going to church and slowly began breaking away from christianity.

My first intrest was Druidism, I had a friend growing up who studied druidism and he use to talk to me about it when I was a teenager, it really appealed to me as a nature lover. The more I learned about celtic druidism the more I loved it. The stories were so beautiful and magical.

I started buying as many books as I could and reading as much as I could find on the Internet but it wasnt enough so I began to take the first steps on a life long journey of learning. I started searching our mentors and teachers and learning as much of the lore as I could find.

Most certainly

I wont raise my children on my specific path as I beleive that we all have our own journey when it comes to finding our spiritual path but I will raise them on an eclectic pagan path and I will share the stories and tales and magic that Ive discovered on my path.

My friends were all fine with it as many of them were pagan/pagan friendly but my parents were a differnt story. My real Mom was fine with it but my t.o.m. (the other mother) was livid. She didnt speak to me for about 4 months and said I was following satans path and my life was filled with demons and vile darkness. Im so glad my mom and her split up last year. She recently decided after being a lesbian for 54 years and being my moms partner of 21 years that being a Lesbian was demonic and that she was going to go to hell if she didnt change. Sadly she went beserk and left my mom after saying that Satan used her and me to keep her in a life of sin and depravity and that my mom was demon spawn and a vile witch who lives in vile darkness blah blah blah... Were so much better without her in our family.

This woman actually had us all pray over a troll doll (the kind with the gems and spiky neon colored hair) and then she burned it in the barbeque pit after screaming at the demons to flee in the name of God...yup apparantly it was possesed with demons.

Most certainly. I even have a celtic Triskele tatooed to my wrist so people can ask me about it.

Very satisifed but Im always seeking more.

Many of them normally but not so many now that Im back in corpus christi... *sad face*
    There is always something worth fighting for.

Help my eggs hatch!

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast