Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Questionnaire for Ex-Christians

1. What denomination of Christianity did you start in?
    Catholic

2. How old were you when you left for something else?
    4 yrs old
    3. Why?
    Because a grasshopper showed me they have a spirit and I knew the catholic were wrong about animals thus most likely wrong about a lot of things that made no sense to me.

4. What was your first interest and how did you pursue it?
    I was 4 so I knew no path just my own feelings.

5. Are you in the same path now? (If not, why?)
    Yes, my own thats always changing as everything is always changing and evolving.

6. Will you raise your kids in that path? (If not, why not?)They will find their own way. Why would I want to take them my way? They are not me.

7. How did your friends and parents reacted?
    My family and friends I choose the rest are passing moments. I dont see a need to share my personal thoughts with passing moments.
    So all whom mattered to me is all that knew anything and they mattered because they are tolerant of others.
    I dont waist my time on intolerant people even if they are related. Intolerant people would not be a friend of mine, same for family.

8. Do you feel comfortable expressing your faith publicly?
    Publicly? How does that happen? If that means do I wear my talisman around my neck in public, of course. Is it anyone's business, no.

9. Are you completely satisfied with your path, or are you seeking something else? I follow me, how can I not be satisfied exploring myself?

10. Do you have friends on the same path (not on MW) with whom you can worship or conduct rituals? We all are on our own paths as it should be.

Catholic (Roman Orthodox - then forays into Baptist, LDS, and a few others.

I don't look at it as leaving so much as just growing into my beliefs.

3. Why?

Why what? Why did I leave? Why was I a certain age?

I found that Christianity didn't answer for me. Specific religions annoyed me in their dogma that didn't match the actions of the followers and since religion isn't only theoretical but an active part of a person's life - I felt that it wasn't meeting my needs. Also, other alternatives to christianity were not a problem in my household - for instance most of my family were some combination - even if they were christian they had many non-christian beliefs and practices. Plus my mom's family were all witches even if they attended christian churches. My Mom's family is also strongly Cherokee, so that left an impact on our beliefs.

Taoism. and witchyness By study and meditation

Yep, sure am.

6. Will you raise your kids in that path? (If not, why not?)

I raised my son to think for himself. To explore and find the path that suits him the best. Thus he is buddhist.

Meh, Mom always knew, Dad didn't really care one way or the other and ........well they are by definition MY friends thus they are okay with it since it is a part of me.

Sure. However, I don't go into details or even discuss faith or belief systems with clients or students. I feel that is inappropriate.

9. Are you completely satisfied with your path, or are you seeking something else?

I've tried other stuff and I'm satisfied.

10. Do you have friends on the same path (not on MW) with whom you can worship or conduct rituals?

I do not worship. I usually conduct rituals alone because I'm not one for that sort of thing (and honestly, I get the giggles when I see folks doing that "so mote it be" thing - not polite so I avoid it)

I do have friends on similar paths and a few ex friends on similar paths. However, I believe that a person's belief system is personal to them and private for the most part. I will discuss, and maybe even share a ritual or two, but not often.
    Last edited by sarabethv; November 28th, 2009 at 08:15 PM.
    Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting; "HOLY SHIT!!!! What a ride!"

A celebrant of nannymas and sarabethvmas

1. Church of Christ

2. 22 - 23 ish

3. My beliefs changed

4. I've always studied various religions.

5. Still Wiccan

6. My kids can follow whatever path they want. Makes no difference to me.

7. Friends fine. Parents don't know.

8. Yes, when I'm away from home. No in my home town.

9. I shape my path to fit me, rather than the reverse. I'm happy.

10. Solitaire. Have worked with a coven before.
    When the stars shine bright through the engine's trail
    And the dust of another world drops behind
    When my ship is free of the open sky
    That's a damn good day to my way of mind

There's a barren planet you never can leave
    There's a rocky valley where we lost a war
    There's a cross once hung round a soldier's neck
    There's a man's faith died on Serenity's floor

But I stood my ground and I'll fly once more
    It's the last oath that I ever swore
    - Mal's song by Michelle Dockrey and Joss

is offline She's a little bit eclect-ish...
    Southern Baptist.

I stopped believing when I was about eight or nine, but I didn't become a pagan for another few years.

3. Why?
    The way I was raised led me to believe I didn't have a choice in my faith, and when I finally grew out of that notion, I realized Christianity was not my path in the least.

I'd always had an interest in the occult in general, even as a little kid. The interest had only grown, so I followed up by reading whatever I could online or in books.

I started off as a Wiccan, but I'm an eclectic pagan now. There were just some things in the Correllian tradition that I didn't agree with; that and I've always been pretty eclectic in my interests, so it only fit.

I'd like to think so. I mean, I don't have children, but I'd very much like to show them there is not one "right" or "wrong" religion, and it's a very, very personal thing despite what family/friends/etc. may say.

Most of my friends were curious, having been brought up much the same way I was, and thankfully no one took it hard. My parents have been accepting, or at the very least tolerant, but it hasn't been discussed.

I've never really been one to shout from the rooftops about anything, especially faith. If someone asked, I wouldn't hesitate to say, but you won't find me randomly going up to strangers and going, "Hello, I'm your local eclectic pagan!"

9. Are you completely satisfied with your path, or are you seeking something else?
    Eclecticism is such a broad term, I think I'd be hard pressed to find anything more befitting of myself ^_^ To me, it means I'm not boxed in and can create my own path.

10. Do you have friends on the same path (not on MW) with whom you can worship or conduct rituals?
    Hmm, yes and no? I have a couple of friends online, though they don't practice much, and I've met a pagan or two when I was still in high school, but we've since lost touch. I'm mostly on my own.

I'm not sure, regular christian on one side and catholic on the other

2. How old were you when you left for something else?-

In heart and mind 11, physically not until 12 when i was out of my parents house

3. Why?-
    I got called by other Gods and it felt right for me

mythology and i read it ardently

yes and no. alot of my perceptions have changed as i've matured but i still identify as a, rootless pagan.

6. Will you raise your kids in that path? (If not, why not?)-

no. because human beings should never be arrogant enough to decide that THEIR ideals of the divine should be everyone's ideal of the divine.

with nonchalance

yes.

yes and i no. i'm content being pagan, but i believe that wisdom can be gleaned from everywhere

i guess my boyfriend. he's a pagan too but he takes entirely different approaches
    Last edited by aluokaloo; November 28th, 2009 at 09:31 PM.
    Crying "cherry-picking!" with one breath and "diversity!" with the next doesn't work either.~brymble
    "Sometimes the Light at the End of the Tunnel is really a Cranky Dragon waiting to roast your ass!"

In Darkness I Know Myself

Close friends with: Yarrow Elfglow, Czechwoods, Rudas Starblaze, Stormbeard, Philosophia, The Woman Monster, Rick and Elise, Sacred Sin David19.....

We were Pentecostals, then we were Baptists, then I was non-denominational before finally leaving the path.

First time 13, second time 19.

3. Why?
    Dissatisfied with the answers I was being given for why life is what it is. It all felt forced and false.

Just living life by my own moral compass.

In a way yes, though I have matured and developed.

My children (if I have any) and any in my life will be allowed to follow their own path.

Most of them stood by me or didn't notice any difference anyways in how I lived my life.

Absolutely.

It's always developing, I think to feel satisfied is a dangerous place for me.

I don't really do a whole lot, but the fella I'm dating right now gets me. So that's good.

TWM's Blog

Check out MWMagazine!
    MW FORUM GUIDE - Dreams and Divination + A Pagan's Life.

Morman AKA LDS

officially 25
    but inside much much younger

3. Why?too many unanswered and unlogical questions
    and they were so prejudice against other people which really confused me saying love all and judge not

4. What was your first interest and how did you pursue it?just basically digging deep inside myself to see how I felt and where I fit in
    I pursued it secretly for a very long time

5. Are you in the same path now? (If not, why?)I don't consider my searching phase a path

6. Will you raise your kids in that path? (If not, why not?) not really
    I have always given my children the freedom to choose what works best for them

they know what I am and what I believe but they choose not to acknowledge it

if asked yes
    but I will never try to force my beliefs on another

9. Are you completely satisfied with your path, or are you seeking something else?satisfied

10. Do you have friends on the same path (not on MW) with whom you can worship or conduct rituals?of course
    I lead a coven here
    Being powerful is like being a lady If you have to tell people you are, you aren't

Advanced Paganism, Meditation
    and Books Forum Guide
    and also a writer for MW Magazine

Serenity is not freedom from the storm..it is peace during the storm

:fpraise: many thanks to Patriciaj for great banner

Its your life..live it as you like

myspace.com/Mydnitejazmine

my covens site
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/archaic_silvermoon/

Baptist

3. Why?
    It was supported by history,science and didn't fit my personality.

What is most accurate perception of reality.

I wouldn't call it a path but yes.

Yeah

No big deal everything is everything.

Yeah but i wouldn't call it a faith.

9. Are you completely satisfied with your path, or are you seeking something else? 100 % satisfied !

More or least but it's not really necessary.

is offline walking the road to see where it leads

Baptist/Free Methodist/Wesleyan

My soul left upon infancy... the mind died when I was five... and for the next ten years my brain was praying that if I farted I wouldn't go to hell...

3. Why?

... since I was young, living deep in the backwoods and mostly unmolested hills of West Virginia I heard the "Call of the Wild" I've posted elsewhere with other reasons, such as being tired of being scared of making one mistake and getting the express escalator to hell, of how I noticed the corruption of 9 tenths of the preachers that were "shepherds"... and of encounters my whole life with ghosts, the wee folk, and the such...

but this reason was also there, I always felt afforementioned call. One day, my soul returned, and my mind did too, and the disillusionment began... I noticed flaw upon flaw in the supposedly impervious social "order" that was the mainstay church we went to, I also noticed that shortly after my mom stopped the advances of our "preacher" [yes, in front of her children nonetheless] we all of a sudden got cast out of the church...

things started to make sense, that preacher would start every sermon with a prayer "casting Satan" out of the church... whereas the one genuinely talking/walking the preacher role never made mention of such things... I'd surmise because his conscience was clear. Either way, it became apparent to me that every man is just as the corrupt as the next guy, and if there is a Satan, a statement from the Bible states something to the tune of "Satan is the most beautiful angels, with a toungue of gold and honey."

What could a more beautiful picture be than many people congregating in a sin free area where the chosen can worship without worries? Also, this inspiration lead me to connect the corrupt clerics with self-serving innuendos directly to the being... I went to another service shortly thereafter and could almost see a very beautiful angel behind the pulpit.

The final nail, as I recall it now (though I remember most everything from that time, due to the trauma on all fronts, the structure as to what happened when is still a blur) I sat down one day, felt that call again... felt a call from my matron and patron dieties (though I didn't recognize it because I listened to a nice little psychologically built "god" that attracted my otherwise decent senses)...

either way, I was expected to become a preacher due to that being the prevailance of two generations of my dad's family and because I had intelligence (although my dad would argue the latter point... to the point of saying I had none)

... i asked myself... should I be doing this? Is this really me? How many "evil" things have I looked at and realized were not "evil" at all?

That was the starting of semi-atheist Thought (yes, semi-atheist as I refuse to use the term agnostic as half my head said there was no deity... but there were many forces or entities otherwise [which due to my secret past I could never neglect it], and the other side was saying there were, just not the one I was forced to listen to)

I started manipulating energy when I was a kid, at one point I seemed (this time was very fuzzy but I'm sure it wasn't a dream) to posess telekensis and I know beyond a shadow of a doubt I learned to communicate and sense the feelings/thoughts of our farm animals, I worked on these things and was meditating by the age of 8 (thanks to a book I grabbed from the adult section of the local library)... and of course, the whole of my life, moreso then before I was told it was "evil" I would most times walk into a wall of random emotions, literally slamming into it each time I went into any church (funerals were by far the hardest as I could sense the genuine and deep remorse, the apathetics, and the ones with hidden agendas inwardly "glad to see that old coger's dead so I can sell the land")... not to mention the greazy wolf's smile employed by "prominent" members of the church trying to shake my hand because I was a kid, and they felt entitled to shake it for appearance [which, by the by, is why I like shaking hands when I meet anyone as that can give a fast track into what type of personality, mitigating circumstances aside]

I'd be hard pressed to give a definitive first as the Aquarian rebel that was me was always trying things out consciously... and sub-consciously... but if you're talking formal, my first subject was Natural Magick when I was fourteen to sixteen... somewhere in that area.

My paths started with Dainic Wicca, Eclectic Wicca, Faery Wicca, Celtic Wicca then came Norse Heathenism, then Taoism (that has never left) and then Satansim, and finally I decided Non-Traditional Eclecticism would be the best descriptor as the deities that have been calling for me for so long do not ask for and would be very upset if I started burning candles in a circle just to afford them a certain reverence, more preferring direct communication and to assist me with whatever mundane or spiritual pursuits I may or may not be in (obviously if I feel the need to do a rite with another type of specific intent they could care less)

Yes, life is a road (as the river interpretation of the word Tao doesn't make sense for my life in general) and the forces that be that I pay homage to are still there and my wide ranging interests in most fields of "paranormal", psychic, and magickal endeavors I am non-traditional in approach except to say that sometimes I have trouble with psychometry and ritual magick...

Umm... normally I'd say no on the grounds that I had religion shoved down my throat my whole life, but... Non-Traditional Eclectic Paganism really isn't that linear, and is more a tool of discovery for who you are and what you feel calling you... as long as your heart and judgement are in it... so sure I'll raise them in that path, and if preaching just happened to have skipped a generation, that will be my childrens choice... I won't force them into anything religiously.

My mom and I had words, and for some reason, the little writing in the back of Teen Witch by Silver Ravenwolf actually worked... the part where she suggests you give that page to your parents....

My dad will never know... I can talk to him about all my magickal theories and the such. but am sure to tie it in to JC and my Dad's god, he's a evolutionist/and creationist citing that the timespan of a deity is not that of us the small on a rock of a planet... so he likes Darwin as much as he appreciates the teachings of his churches... but the word witch incites the torches and stakes mentality as Satan must surely be misleading you.

Used to... then I lost a stripe in the military... now I wear my pentacle belt buckle everywhere... under an untucked shirt... Although I will do Tarot readings and speak of ghosts to anyone interested, and I can hide a lot of my spiritual beliefs behind Quantum theory...

Completely Satisfied...

Question does not apply in the traditional manner, as I feel anyone who is a free thinker may follow a similar approach... in that stand point, I was a part of a group of freethinkers, and our "worship" would be in our converse or randomly awesome roadtrips/camping in nature.
    Last edited by thought_on_a_wind; November 28th, 2009 at 10:17 PM.
    Per Mare, Per Terras!!!

Feel Free to PM me with your request

*sigh* I finally did it... thar be my dragons, pwease qwick them... I don't want to go to jail for neglect... what'd a dragon ever do to you??

Your friendly solitary non-traditional eclectic.

"Follow me into the depths of insanity, leave beliefs and apprehensions at the door"- quoth the ocelot

Catholic

3. Why?
    Religion in general just didn't make sense to me then.

Being an Atheist. I just was, their wasn't any pursuing.

Nope,
    I got bored
    Found out about witchcraft
    Wanted to become Wicca just for cursing
    Found out cursing is frowned upon
    Discovered polytheism made a lot of sense to me
    Didn't have a connection to a deity right away
    Went back to Atheism when I was in a rough patch
    A close friend inspired me to go back to trying to become Wiccan
    I found Aset
    Decided Wicca wasn't for me and an Eclectic path would be a better fit

If I ever had/adopted children I would.

I get a feeling my family they think it's really weird in a bad way. I doubt they'd ever say it to my face though.
    As for friends: Some are cool with it. The ones that are I feel a lot closer too. As for the ones that aren't...I don't think I'll ever consider them close friends of mine.

Depends on where. Like if I was on vacation in the Bible Belt...I wouldn't. But in the Midwest I would.

I'm satisfied with my path.

I don't think so...maybe soon? (I think one of my friends is trying to figure out his path right now...)

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast