Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Questionnaire for Ex-Christians

Quote Originally Posted by BryonMorrigan View Post
    It's boring as hell to me. Buncha wussies wandering around in the desert, trying to get Yahweh to fight their battles for them. Give me the Iliad any day of the week.
    I want to read the Iliad, but, everytime I pick up a version, I just can't get into it, maybe when I get Richard Lattimore's, that'll change (that said, I'd like to find one that speaks in modern day English, that keeps the spirit of the Iliad, but, not in outdated language).

That said give me demons, angels, magic, Gods, resurrected corpses, etc anyday !.

They have freedom, which is why my one daughter is all about Kemeticism. (I've been thinking about building an altar to Serapis, to kinda bring all of the Greco-Roman and Egyptian stuff together...) They know that most people don't believe in the Gods or magick, and frankly, they pity them. I don't see them, as they are being raised in a very Liberal, very Polytheist, household, that they will suddenly become Bible-thumpin' Fundies any more than they'll become racist or homophobic. Just as children will not likely become racist, sexist, or homophobic unless they are _taught_ that by their parents, I sincerely doubt that my children will suddenly become Exclusivists. (*)
    What I meant about freedom, was, did you raise them with a belief in Gods, and/or magic, from the start, or were they allowed to come to that decision themselves. I'm not so sure about children not becoming racist, sexist, homophobic, etc, unless they're brought up in it, I remember seeing on some show ages ago, this white "supremacist" guy, who came on to tell his mum he was into "White Power" and everything like that, and the mum, basically, disowned him, or, at least, showed her disapproval, also, many people can be brought up in Atheist households, and, through whatever reason, become Fundamentalist, Bible Thumpers, of whatever religion (I know "Bible Thumpers" commonly refer to Christian Fundamentalists, but, I also use the term to describe people of any religion who, basically, are the equivalent of Christian Fundamentalists).

I took it to mean the standard pentacle-wearing-Wiccan kind of publically, myself. I tend to wear necklaces like this one, from Greek Jewelry Shop:

...but of course, most people don't "get" it, so it's not the same as wearing a pentacle. If I'm talking to a halfway intelligent person about my family and our beliefs, then I might discuss it with them. But if it's a case of local preachers showing up on my doorstep, trying to get me to go to their church (Yes, this has happened multiple times now...) then I'm not gonna be like, "Begone SWINE! I worship the gods of Olympus, not your Gallilean zombie!" I feel that might be counter-productive to the well-being of my children. (It's a small town, and people can be cruel.)
    Do you mind if I ask, but, do you make a point of having it on show, so, people will notice it?.

Quote Originally Posted by David19 View Post
    What I meant about freedom, was, did you raise them with a belief in Gods, and/or magic, from the start, or were they allowed to come to that decision themselves.
    They've been hearing about the gods since birth. Of course they ask if they're "real," and of course I tell them that they are.

I'm not so sure about children not becoming racist, sexist, homophobic, etc, unless they're brought up in it, I remember seeing on some show ages ago, this white "supremacist" guy, who came on to tell his mum he was into "White Power" and everything like that, and the mum, basically, disowned him, or, at least, showed her disapproval,
    But chances are, mum made some comments about people of other races here and there, giving him the idea that such behavior was okay. She probably doesn't think she's a racist, and certainly doesn't want her son becoming a member of a gang (WP skinheads). I have relatives who actively show their disapproval of "racists," but then go on about "spics" and "wetbacks," and occasionally use the "N-word."

Do you mind if I ask, but, do you make a point of having it on show, so, people will notice it?.
    Sometimes, 'cause I think it looks cool. But I have never had someone assume that I was a Classical Polytheist because of it. (Nor have I had anything similar with regards to my tattoos of Greek stuff covering my arms.)

Think about it. Most people don't even know that non-Wiccan Pagans even exist. Most people just think I like 300 a lot.

Buy my latest book, ACHERON, as an exclusive audiobook from Audible.com now!
    (Or sign up for a 30-day trial of Audible.com, and get it for free!)

Quote Originally Posted by BryonMorrigan View Post
    They've been hearing about the gods since birth. Of course they ask if they're "real," and of course I tell them that they are.
    Thanks for telling me .

But chances are, mum made some comments about people of other races here and there, giving him the idea that such behavior was okay. She probably doesn't think she's a racist, and certainly doesn't want her son becoming a member of a gang (WP skinheads). I have relatives who actively show their disapproval of "racists," but then go on about "spics" and "wetbacks," and occasionally use the "N-word."
    Maybe, and that just shows, people need to take on their own Dark Sides (or The Shadow Archetype, as Jung called it), otherwise, it just plants more seeds of hatred in peoples minds, whether or not, they flower or not depends on other factors. I like the concept of Jihad, which is not a physical battle against "infidels", but, an internal struggle against the darkness in you, so, those seeds are not planted in future generations.

Sometimes, 'cause I think it looks cool. But I have never had someone assume that I was a Classical Polytheist because of it. (Nor have I had anything similar with regards to my tattoos of Greek stuff covering my arms.)

Think about it. Most people don't even know that non-Wiccan Pagans even exist. Most people just think I like 300 a lot.
    Very true, the average person on the street might not have heard of Wicca, although, at least, over here, Wicca has, almost, become mainstream (in that, people recognise the religion, the name, etc, and just see it as one of many, which, IMO, is very cool, and something I'm proud of the UK for), but, I doubt anyone, even some other Pagans, know what Classical Polytheism is (except, maybe, focusing on the Classical world), fewer will have heard of Hellenismos or the Religio Romana, etc.

1. What denomination of Christianity did you start in?
    Southern Baptist. My grandfather was a pastor. While there are things I am so very grateful for being brought up in the church, there are things I could do without and things I still have trouble dealing with sometimes. I have only recently learned about some of this denomination's history.

2. How old were you when you left for something else?

I was in my early 20s, if I recall correctly. That said, I was a naturally mystical and inquisitive child who was not afraid to speak her mind, much to my grandfather's annoyance and disapproval as you can imagine. His wife, my grandmother, however, lurved me to pieces. I lurved her too. :hearthear

3. Why?

Several reasons. As a child, again, I was mystical and yet had somewhat of a natural atheistic view. Oh, the conversation about belief I had with my grandfather is priceless, LOL. Later, in my early 20s, I had a dream where "my shaman" appeared, showed me some things, gave me a warning, and taught me some things. I did not even know what a shaman did at that time. He warned about a period of time and events ahead, which turned out to be very accurate. He warned me of my false friend. You see, I very soon thereafter had a falling out with a strict Christian friend of mine who had an affair, used me as a cry pillow, and dumped me like a hot potato when she decided to reconcile with her hubby (later found out that she was using me a scape goat for her infidelity!). It was then when I began to question why I was doing what I was doing, why I believed what I believed at the time. I began to research and do some soul searching. I took a good hard look at myself, and Paganism jumped right out at me. I also wanted to learn more about "my shaman." Thus, my study and journey began.

4. What was your first interest and how did you pursue it?

Wicca. I first read Cunningham's books and joined a few discussion forums. I also read anything and everything I could get my hands on. As soon as I was comfy, I began my own practice. I also happened to find out I already had a Pagan friend, who introduced me to a teacher. Even though I felt quite confident on my own, I accepted the teaching as an adjuvant. We did some crazy beautiful rituals.

5. Are you in the same path now? (If not, why?)
    Yes and no. I have had a hard time in the last few years, and that has shaken my beliefs once again. I am in the middle of a dark night of the soul, so to speak. I am confused often, and I mainly have an agnostic view. However, I love The Wheel of the Year, and I keep track of the moon cycles, etc. I can't seem to help myself.

6. Will you raise your kids in that path? (If not, why not?)
    My child will be an adult here soon. She was raised exposed to all sorts of faiths and practices. She will choose for herself. As of now, she is agnostic.

7. How did your friends and parents reacted?
    Some friends know, some don't. My parents do not know. They know of my agnosticism, and that is it. I don't think they could handle it, and I don't think it matters that they do know. At least not now. Sure, it stinks keeping shut about a large part of who I am, but I don't need the drama. I don't see my parents often enough for it to wear on me.

8. Do you feel comfortable expressing your faith publicly?
    Depends. I seem to go through phases. Baby steps.

9. Are you completely satisfied with your path, or are you seeking something else?

Currently confused.

10. Do you have friends on the same path (not on MW) with whom you can worship or conduct rituals?
    Yep. If I want it bad enough, I have it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Okay, I am off to read the other replies! :D
    Last edited by SnowyMoon; January 18th, 2010 at 05:03 PM.
    ~*SnowyMoon*~

Banner created by SkySilver

"Before I knew it I was laughing freely, standing there, snowflakes coating my hair and brushing my face, as I stood still staring at the sky." ~ Melissa Ray Davis

Mooncup Evangelist.

Quote Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
    ...I was sick of the contradictions and sicker of the people who thought problems would go away if you prayed about them.
    I resemble that remark.
    ~*SnowyMoon*~

Banner created by SkySilver

"Before I knew it I was laughing freely, standing there, snowflakes coating my hair and brushing my face, as I stood still staring at the sky." ~ Melissa Ray Davis

Mooncup Evangelist.

is offline She who dances to the pulse of the Earth
    I can't really recall. I would have to ask my mom.

I was somewhere around the age of 10-13 or so when I pretty much realized I wasn't Christian.

3. Why?
    It all started with the story of Job in the bible. After that I began to question what people told me. They told me God was this loving, forgiving father and it didn't add up with the stories in the bible. It sparked my questions for real tangible answers and I was mostly told that I just needed faith.

I started off just lost pretty much. I didn't know where I belonged or what I believed and certainly not that there were others who also believed anything similiar. Then I discovered Wicca. I happened to read a book on the history of witches merely because it sounded interesting. I discovered modern witchcraft movement and wicca.

No. After awhile I realized Wicca just was not the perfect fit for me. I branched out and found the Dianic/Goddess path which I follow now.

umm partly. I will raise my kids spiritual. I will tell them that there is a Divine being here and that I feel being spiritual is important. I will tell them what I believe though let them know that we all need to discover our own path.

Most people are like that is just weird lol. My mom is now a witch herself. I am very open with my mom's side of the family. I have never specifically discussed it with my father.

Yes and no. I am open about who I am but I don't go around waving a flag either. If someone asked I would discuss it but I wouldn't just walk up to you and start chatting about it either. I do wear a pentacle most always though.

9. Are you completely satisfied with your path, or are you seeking something else?
    I am very satisfied I finally discovered that my path needed to be as unique as I was. That it is all mine to shape and ride the flow of it.

10. Do you have friends on the same path (not on MW) with whom you can worship or conduct rituals?
    Nope. No one I know offline is a pagan besides my mom. She lives very very far away from me (I am in NY she is in texas). And she follows a more Wiccan focused path then me.
    Listen to my sound. I am the wind, which echos through the trees. The gentle breeze which tickles your flesh. Touch that which you walk upon. I am the green fields filled with fresh flowers. My breast the mountain peaks which reach toward the heavens. My curves the endless canyons. The waters that run through my womb, nourish the sacred river of life. I am the song within the storm. The whisper on the edge of the forest. The silence. The rush of raging waterfalls. Open your eyes my child, for I am everywhere. I have never left you and never will.

is offline Generally lost, sometimes confused
    Southern Baptist

6 when I lost interest in going to church, but was still made to go with my grandparents. Still was somewhat spiritual but hated preachers or any authority telling me how I should be spiritual. 32 when I decided there had to be something better.

3. Why?
    My Dad and brother died when I was 6. The preacher told me God needed them more than I did, and that they died so my mother and I could give the church money.

It has only been a year, but I am studying everything looking for my place. Wicca mostly, but recently interest peaked in Heathenism as well

See #4

I will let them choose there own path

My Stepdad think it is cool, and constantly asks questions about it and seems really interested. My Mom knows but doesn't say anything. My grandparents will never know, don't want them spending what time they have left worrying about my "salvation". A couple of friends know and are cool with it. My best friend doesn't know because right as I decided christianity wasn't for me, she decided it was for her. I am worried she will try to re-convert me and will ruin the friendship.

Yes, to people actually interested in talking about it.

Yes and no, still learning about all I can and may eventually find my place.

One of my friends is Wiccan so we talk a lot, haven't really conducted any rituals as of yet.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Southern Baptist

13-years-old

3. Why?

Long story short; it just didn't feel right for me, the Bible was hard for me to stomach, and the entire religion felt 'alien' to me.

I cannot remember what religion I first forayed into after Christianity, but the first that I stayed with for a while was Native American Spirituality.

No, I no longer consider myself a Native American Spiritualist, I am a Nordic heathen. I left NA Spirituality because I didn't feel like I belonged to the culture (which makes sense as I am not a Native American), and I realized that I have my own ancestral culture(s) to look into.

Yes, if I ever have kids they will be raised as heathens.

My friends and and immediate family are rather supportive. However, my extended family does not know that I am a heathen, and they would probably attempt to have me exorcized if they did.

Yes, I am proud of my faith and my gods. I publicly wear a Mjöllnir pendant around my neck all the time.

Yes, I have finally found my spiritual 'home' after searching for a few years. I am completely satisfied with my faith.

Unfortunately, no, there are no other Norse heathens in my area.

Methodist

11 or 12ish

3. Why?
    Christianity never felt right for me - never resonated for me personally.

Well, my first book was about Wicca.... but Wicca was never right either. I dabbled in tarot before anything else, and looked at the Greek dieties, did research, etc. etc. My path grew from the various pieces that I found that meant something to me personally.

I think I kind of answered this in my response above.

My children will be raised to be aware of all faiths, and allowed to choose their own path. Why? Because I don't think that it is right for me to force a religious belief on them that may not be the right path for them.

I don't talk about my beliefs much with other people, unless someone else brings it up... don't feel the need to debate or defend my position. My family doesn't acknowledge it, and my friends just chalk it up to another of my quirks.

Yes, but I don't need to declare it to everyone I meet. Faith, IMO, should be something you are allowed to view privately, so unless someone asks me directly, they are unlikely to know that I consider myself a Pagan.

I'm always seeking, because it is my desire to learn and grow as a person.

Yes, if I chose to do so.
    Ancora Imparo

Evangelical Lutheran

I quit going to church after I was confirmed but it wasn't until age 19 that I found a new path.

3. Why?

I expected to have a more "spiritual" experience of confirmation and it was nothin. It was then I was sure I was in the wrong path for me. I had many questions for the pastor during confirmation classes... but it was the actual confirmation ceremony that sealed the deal.

Wicca - books, internet sites, coven, my own inner discovery process, talking with others

no. I was always more 'eclectic' and never officially considered myself wiccan but my focus has been ecstatic and personal growth oriented all along.. I found Feri traditional Witchcraft much more in tune with my natural tendencies so I am currently studying Feri.

No, I'm not having any children.

Have had no problems with friends. My parents do not know. I feel no need to tell them. My life is my own and thus my spiritual life is my own. We don't talk about religion... so it never comes up.

For the most part, yes. Although, we've talked about a float for Oktoberfest... that might be too much for me.

I just made some huge changes in the past year... I am no longer practicing with my Coven. I am going internal for the whole next year. I feel I've outgrown what my current Coven can do for me and am focusing on solitary practice now. I am planning to start a spiritual study group this spring... discussion, book reading etc. It is exactly what I need right now, so yes, I'm completely satisified.

One person currently into Feri, one who is about to start looking into it... but I'm not interested in group work right now. I've been doing group work with my Coven for 8 years and it's time for something new. My Coven has always been eclectic with a wiccan-ish base ritual structure. We have always been encouraged to follow our individual paths... but still, it's time for a change of focus for me.
    Need someone to talk to? I'm Helping Hands listed!

Banner by MoonKnight

"To be sensual, I think, is to respect and rejoice in the force of life,
    of life itself and so to be present in all that one does,
    from the effort of loving to the breaking of bread."
    - James Baldwin, Author

I've been GHOSTED by Master Kodiak!

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast