Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Questionnaire for Ex-Christians

1. What denomination of Christianity did you start in?

Church of England with a Catholic mother and Protestant father. We lived close to my motherís parents for much of my formative years.

2. How old were you when you left for something else?

Quite young, less than 12.

3. Why?

I could not get any meaningful answers as to why I was born disabled.

4. What was your first interest and how did you pursue it?

Donít remember anything specific, just wandered around until I discovered Pantheism whilst studying Philosophy at college. That led to a long period of reading and contemplation.

5. Are you in the same path now? (If not, why?)

Oh yes.

6. Will you raise your kids in that path? (If not, why not?)

No, they are free to make up their own minds but I do talk to them when they have questions. I try to teach them to be open-minded, not just about religion but all things.

7. How did your friends and parents reacted?

We moved away from my motherís family and religion seemed to just fade as a result from our family life. Neither of parents seem to be interested in what I believe which is fine with me, I donít wear a badge on my sleeve about it. My friends are equally disinterested.

8. Do you feel comfortable expressing your faith publicly?

If asked about it, yes, but I donít preach it and Iím not looking to convert anyone else, including my wife.

9. Are you completely satisfied with your path, or are you seeking something else?

Yes, itís given me answers that have led to a sense of contentment that Iíve never known before.

10. Do you have friends on the same path (not on MW) with whom you can worship or conduct rituals?

No, but then I donít follow rituals and for me admiring a sunrise is akin to worship.

I made this up myself, asking the things about which I am curious:

was from a mixed grouping of Christian and Jewish. then went with borderline evangelical old school thinking.

3. Why?
    the first reason was because of mixed upbringing. having been part Jewish a few pastors warned me of the congression would be violent towards me because of having Jewish heritage. Which I did meet antisemitism. also it felt empty and cold. also Like I didn't belong.

new age view points.
    no.
    not sure.

didn't care.

i'm cautious.

9. Are you completely satisfied with your path, or are you seeking something else?
    yes

10. Do you have friends on the same path (not on MW) with whom you can worship or conduct rituals?
    not yet.

Last edited by lightdragon; March 1st, 2010 at 05:18 AM. Reason: forgot to add something.
    MYSTIC WICKS Needs your help!Please donate or subscribe!

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Christian View Post
    Roman Catholicism/Irish Catholicism

I became an aethist when I was 16.

3. Why?
    I didnt think the people in my community were christian and couldnt find anyone who met the standard of christianity I was indoctrinated into. As I got older I couldnt find a christian who was sincere and wasnt a foreigner so since I do like being Irish I went back to the indigenous religion.

Aethism, I was disillusioned with religion and I argued politics and morality with friends but didnt go further then that with it.

Nope, when I became an adult I went looking for religion again.

I wont raise them Pagan cos religion is a part of life here. They can learn about roman catholicism like the rest of the kids do in school and follow the same rites of passage with their class mates. We are all raised with the secular culture as a second religion anyway and when theyre old enough to choose to follow my way, the religion they were raised with or go their own way that will be their choice. Personally I hope they are smart enough to take the third option.

Nobody cared. Religion is a personal thing here and only a loonatic would be a zealot. The worst reations Ive gotten was laughter cos neopaganisms general 'praying on streetcorners' approach is unprecidented in Irish religious life.

Yeah as long as Im in the correct company and not upsetting anyone. Ive enough respect to stop my gums from flapping the odd time.

...After 10 years Im only a beginner and theres enough to keep me interested for the rest of my life so from that point I am satisfied. To me and most people I know who share in similar religious belief, religion is a part of being Irish. If I get sick of being Irish at some point I'll probably emmigrate and take on whatever religion is native to my new home.

Yep but religion is personal here, it would be rare that a group of people interested in indigenous paganism/religion would go to a place together and stay in each others company while they 'performed their religious duties'. Offerings can be a joint affair and we'd celebrate being at a place after we'd done our thing on our own but the rest is too personal to share, even with friends. Some stuff in life is supposed to be private.

Baptist

3. Why?
    Because I found it to be contradictory and a joke

Witchcraft, because of Hollywood mainly. Witches were cool
    Watched a ton of movies and then started reading a book or two and saw what it was really all about

No. I'm on my own path that can't be easily defined and am still learning, so it is constantly changing

If they ask, sure. I will let my son choose his own path, whatever belief that may be.

Not a big deal in my circles, so there really hasn't been a reaction.

Not really, but then I'm not comfortable expressing most anything about myself publicly

I am always seeking, to grow my knowledge of everything (including myself)

Since it is an individual path, not really
    Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans -John Lennon
    Good men don't need rules. Today is not the day to find out why I have so many. -The Doctor

Roman Catholic

I gradually moved away fro Catholicism starting around when I was 11 or 12.

3. Why?
    A lot of reasons, I suppose. But, put simply, it didn't work for me and a lot of the beliefs I had developed through observation and instinct didn't fit or went directly against the church.

I started out interested in magick, I was 10 after all. I started reading about that and got a general book on paganism that described multiple paths. Celtic stuff really stuck with me in the beginning.

I don't think so. At first I was looking into Wicca since it is the most commonly written one. However, I was never into ceremonial stuff so I've drifted around a lot and haven't centered on one path yet. I'm highly eclectic I guess.

I want to raise my kids pagan, but I'm going to make it clear they can choose a path or even a different religion. I firmly believe that no path is wrong, just that some people manipulate them inappropriately.

I haven't told my father's family yet, and only one of my aunts on my mother's side, though I'm not actively hiding it from them. My aunt was cool about it, but she has a prejudice against organized religion so anything that kept me away from that pleased her.
    As far as my friends go, none of them were surprised. And since a lot of my friends in college are Pagan or a met because of pagan activities they are obviously cool about it. I've never had any uncomfortable confrontations.

Yes, except for where my family can find out. I'm open at college. I wear my pentacle when I want to and enjoy showing of my (gorgeous, if I say so myself) tattoo. I don't just tell people (that would be awkward for everyone), but I don't avoid the topic either.

I'm seeking a more solid path, a more focused area of study. Right now I'm just kind of researching a lot of things, looking for something that sticks. I'm looking into working with a pantheon, especially goddess work. I'm also looking into various paths to see what'll work for me.

No, but I'm a member of the Pagan Student Union in college and we're able to discuss a lot of things. We don't do rituals, since we're all different paths (and some of us aren't pagan at all). It is nice to be part of a solid community, though (and have solid drinking buddies).

Southern baptist

3. Why?
    I never felt anything in church so I left

Bast always Bast. I started reading about Her and praying.

Yes, I will always be with Bast.

Yes, but they will also know of other paths.

They think I am crazy

Not right now.

Bast is all I ever need to be satisfied. Her gifts to me are the most precious things in the world to me. *pets kitties*

Nope unfortunately.

Baptist, then Catholic.

It's been on and off for years. It started in 2005-2006

3. Why?

Christianity is not my path. I disagree with a great deal of its theology and beliefs, such as original sin, ex nihlio, monotheism, and its strict Dogma. So I looked into Wicca, but that path didn't really interest me as much as i thought. I pretty soon was introduced to the religions of India, China, and Japan, and found that these faiths sat right with me. What I am is a combination of four religions: Hinduism, Buddhism, Shinto, and Daoism. Confused? it's rather complex and I had to do a ton of research to make it work right. I consider myself to be an Eclectic as well as an occultist.

Sheer curiosity and google

No. I started off interested in Wicca, and look where I am now :D

No. I want them to choose their own path.

Only my mother knows. A friend knows as well, but she doesn't really care one way or another

Not really. At least not right now.

Yes, I am.

Nope
    "If the stars should appear but one night every thousand years how man would marvel and stare." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Remember your spirituality" - Ganesha to a friend in a dream, 2008

Roman Catholic

3. Why?

Christianity doesn't make sense, as I grew i studied more and learned how much Christianity had stolen from other faiths. The religion practised today is a lie designed to convert people from other faiths.

Studies into Christian history led me into learning about the Saxon and Norse origins of England. The more I studied the past the more I realised my personal ethics, morality and beliefs matched with those of my ancestors.

Aye

Don't intedn to have kids, but if I do they will choose their own path as I have chosen mine.

In truth my parents still think i'm a lapsed catholic (29 now) I just can't be arsed with the hassles as they are old fashioned. My friends accept me for who and what I am, otherwise they would not be friends.

I feel no shame in my faith but neither do I feel a need to be public about it. I'm not interested in converting everyone.

I feel satisified.

Aye.

Mennonite (not very strict though)

3. Why?
    i never had a good enough reason to believe in what christianity taught me but i wasn't looking elsewhere. something just caught my eye..

wicca. i saw a book at a bookstore called Green Witchcraft, asked my mom what it meant and she told me a little about earth based paganism and i started researching it online.

no. i've moved on from any organized religious ideas and have developed my own spiritual beliefs.

no, because i won't have kids lol

my mom accepted it, my dad thought it was weird, my dad's side of the family thought i was straying too far from jesus, and most of my friends were just intrigued.

i feel comfortable saying i'm not religious, but i feel people won't understand me if i try to explain what i do believe.

yes, i feel confident in what i believe.

i only know two like minded people (they are mother and daughter) but they are both also independent people like myself. we talk about the subject but we don't practice anything together.

Catholic

3. Why?
    I didn't feel a connection with Christianity. I realized it wasn't for me so I started studying other religions.

Hellenic paganism then some Eastern philosophies and now I've gone completely to hellenic paganism

yes..mentioned above

I will raise them that way but I will allow them to choose what path they want to follow as well

My parents don't really seem to care. Some of my friends were supportive, others told me I abandoned Christ *eyeroll*

Yes I do

I am completely satisfied with my path. Wouldn't change it for anything.

Sadly, no but I'm hoping to change this.

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast