Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New Gods Born?

New Gods Born?

In many of the myths, the Gods were born in...unique and various ways. But do you suppose in this modern day and age that here are still deities coming into being? Or do you think that the Gods have decided that they have enough and are done with making new Gods? Perhaps some of the fictional Gods in books and movies are actually new Gods that have yet to be discovered as Gods and may have a harder time in this modern day and age. What do you guys think?
    Last edited by aluokaloo; December 10th, 2009 at 03:16 PM.
    Crying "cherry-picking!" with one breath and "diversity!" with the next doesn't work either.~brymble
    "Sometimes the Light at the End of the Tunnel is really a Cranky Dragon waiting to roast your ass!"

In Darkness I Know Myself

Close friends with: Yarrow Elfglow, Czechwoods, Rudas Starblaze, Stormbeard, Philosophia, The Woman Monster, Rick and Elise, Sacred Sin David19.....

I think this is a fantastic question.

I'm not quite sure really... I mean I guess to answer I'd take a mythological point of view. If we take a religion like ancient Greek Hellenism we have around say 2500 years of continued religious tradition and history? When we look at some of the gods in the various Greek pantheons, we see new gods being inducted and formed all the time. However that's a historical point of view right so it doesn't speak to a possible reality of a family of gods. We have cases where in certain regions Gods are born or formed all the time. It depends on the system you're looking at. if you look at religions that focus on Dharma and reincarnation, then we have local gods being created and born all the time and being incorproated. We also have the idea that Gods are not immortal and can die after a very long time, and humans can be reincarnated as a God.

I think there's also the issue of what niches Gods fill now. If we look at a cross culturalview, we see archetypal gods associated with the elements (and in most mythos, these gods are already existing to account for the presence of elements in the world). We also have Gods associated with particular cities, or places. We also have historically the deification of Human beings after they die, with the claim that they were born as Humans but were really of Divine birth (like Hercules, Imhotep, Quetzacoatl).

In India, new Gods are created all the time, but often with conspicuous timings. like Santoshi Maa is seen as a daughter of Ganesha and has been around a while but only really became popular in 1979.

I think another issue is what these Gods are and how powerful they are. If we look at most polytheistic religions worldwide, we do see new gods being born mythologically, but these new Gos are often taking the reins of power. If we take this from a spiritual point of view suggesting that the Gods are real entities, then I wondr what the need for entities that are eons of years old would be to have more children. Also, since there are other planets out in the Universe, whos to say that the Gods may not be on other planets currently creating worlds etc,. which would leave room for new births.

Then there's also the Human beliefs around Kings and Queens. Although the Japanese were forced to renounce the idea of divinity for their royal family, it was a belief and tradition that the Imperial household were descendants of Gods and that the Emperor of Japan was a God in human form.

If we also look at lower spirits like Dryads or Nymphs as being lower gods, then every new tree that grows is a God.

So, I think it does happen but I think the answer would depend on what context you mean and also the conceptualization of a God and the cultural or religious context.
    Last edited by BenSt; December 10th, 2009 at 05:17 PM.

असतोमा सद्गमय। तमसोमा ज्योतिर् गमया।
    मृत्योर्मामृतं गमय॥
    ॐ Om Asatoma Sadgamaya, Tamasoma Jyoti Gamaya, Mrityoma Amritam Gamaya ॐ

wow so many different ways to look at things. I must admit that I didn't think of new Gods being established on other life filled planets or creating new ones. Though that would make a lot of sense, since the Gods here on planet Earth have pretty much established and staked out their own territories. and I momentarily forgot that some cultures see people as being able to ascend to Divinity. Perhaps there are older Gods on planets that are even older then ours that we have no idea about.
    Crying "cherry-picking!" with one breath and "diversity!" with the next doesn't work either.~brymble
    "Sometimes the Light at the End of the Tunnel is really a Cranky Dragon waiting to roast your ass!"

In Darkness I Know Myself

Close friends with: Yarrow Elfglow, Czechwoods, Rudas Starblaze, Stormbeard, Philosophia, The Woman Monster, Rick and Elise, Sacred Sin David19.....

This is a really interesting discussion. I like to think that new Gods are born/come into existence now - what was so special about 3000-1000 years ago that isn't special now? I do agree, They are probably coming into existence in a fairly difficult time, but maybe that's why They're coming?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Forum Guide: Gods and Goddesses

MW Tarot Readings NOT currently accepting tarot reading requests via PM, but will answer posts in the Reading Request subforum if it is possible for me to do so. :spinnysmi

Quote Originally Posted by aluokaloo View Post
    In many of the myths, the Gods were born in...unique and various ways. But do you suppose in this modern day and age that here are still deities coming into being? Or do you think that the Gods have decided that they have enough and are done with making new Gods? Perhaps some of the fictional Gods in books and movies are actually new Gods that have yet to be discovered as Gods and may have a harder time in this modern day and age. What do you guys think?
    Just a note here: Mormon teachings teach that we become gods after death if we're righteous enough.

I believe that gods are born and 'die' all the time.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Ihr seht nach oben, wenn ihr nach Erhebung verlangt. Und ich sehe hinab, weil ich erhoben bin." ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Great question, I love threads like these :cheers:, I think it's possible, I think the beings you read about in fictional stories or movies or TV series's can be considered real, in some way.

Personally, I think you can make up your own deity, that's something I read in 'The Complete Idiot's Guide to Hinduism' by Linda Johnsen, and that's one of the things I like about Hinduism, there are an infinite amount of paths to the Divine, and, unlike some modern Pagans who'll say they'd only be "thought forms", in Hinduism, they'd be very real.

I hope more people post in this thread. Again, great topic .

is offline The PG-13-safe Title holder - WooHoo!!
    ....a thousand angels dance around you....
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby Stimpson View Post
    I think this is a fantastic question.

I'm not quite sure really... I mean I guess to answer I'd take a mythological point of view. If we take a religion like ancient Greek Hellenism we have around say 2500 years of continued religious tradition and history? When we look at some of the gods in the various Greek pantheons, we see new gods being inducted and formed all the time. However that's a historical point of view right so it doesn't speak to a possible reality of a family of gods. We have cases where in certain regions Gods are born or formed all the time. It depends on the system you're looking at. if you look at religions that focus on Dharma and reincarnation, then we have local gods being created and born all the time and being incorproated. We also have the idea that Gods are not immortal and can die after a very long time, and humans can be reincarnated as a God.

I think there's also the issue of what niches Gods fill now. If we look at a cross culturalview, we see archetypal gods associated with the elements (and in most mythos, these gods are already existing to account for the presence of elements in the world). We also have Gods associated with particular cities, or places. We also have historically the deification of Human beings after they die, with the claim that they were born as Humans but were really of Divine birth (like Hercules, Imhotep, Quetzacoatl).

In India, new Gods are created all the time, but often with conspicuous timings. like Santoshi Maa is seen as a daughter of Ganesha and has been around a while but only really became popular in 1979.

I think another issue is what these Gods are and how powerful they are. If we look at most polytheistic religions worldwide, we do see new gods being born mythologically, but these new Gos are often taking the reins of power. If we take this from a spiritual point of view suggesting that the Gods are real entities, then I wondr what the need for entities that are eons of years old would be to have more children. Also, since there are other planets out in the Universe, whos to say that the Gods may not be on other planets currently creating worlds etc,. which would leave room for new births.

Then there's also the Human beliefs around Kings and Queens. Although the Japanese were forced to renounce the idea of divinity for their royal family, it was a belief and tradition that the Imperial household were descendants of Gods and that the Emperor of Japan was a God in human form.

If we also look at lower spirits like Dryads or Nymphs as being lower gods, then every new tree that grows is a God.

So, I think it does happen but I think the answer would depend on what context you mean and also the conceptualization of a God and the cultural or religious context.
    Look at how smart you are....I agree....here's where I diverge though,

Faith. Belief. Surrender.

The world as we know it has virtually none of this, even most of the organized religions their constituents just pay lip service to their beliefs.

We are so adamant in ourselves that selfishness and isolation begins. We don't even BELIEVE in each other. How then are we expected to believe in god/s. Do we even NEED god/s anymore? My answer is a hesitant no. I wouldn't say we need god/s so much as we need BELIEF. There is so much dispair and anguish because we've lost faith in EVERYTHING. BELIEF is important, doesn't necessarily matter in what/whom.

Surrender.
    We fight EVERYTHING in our lives, and I don't mean wars, though they play a part as well. I mean we fight who we are to one another, going back to that self imposed isolation we can't trust one another, just give in a little to be ourselves. Let others in, be a community again. That is one thing ALL religions gave us, a sense of community, a sense of belonging.

But to answer the question more directly, I think yes, they are, much more slowly than they should because of humanity's malaise.
    "If there's a Heaven up above I know
    she's teaching angels how to love"
    ~ R. Kelly....and me
    Love you, mom....

"I count him braver who overcomes his desires than him who conquers his enemies; for the hardest victory is over self." --- Aristotle

"Friendship is the beginning of love; love is the beginning of life."
    ~Source Unknown

"And our scars remind us, that the past is real, I tear my heart open....just to feel..." ~ Papa Roach

"Yeah, I think I'll have more luck with the girl if I'm drunk, cause a drunk me is like a sober you"
    ~ one of my co-workers

MySpace: http://www.myspace.com/cheshireeyes

"*shakes head* Without CE there would be no reason to drop by MW!" ~~~ lowlinora
    http://www.mysticwicks.com/showpost....&postcount=114

Quote Originally Posted by aluokaloo View Post
    Yes, I do think that there are new deities coming into being in the modern day. I believe that for the most part, deities exist in the Otherworlds independently of humans, and that sometimes it's a matter of deities that have always been there, but are only now coming into human awareness. I think sometimes existing entities and mythological figures become deified through human belief and worship, through the belief and worship of their own (non human) people, or by virtue of other deities who induct them into their ranks. Sometimes an entity will be 'born' along with a new phenonenom of the physical world - a new disease, changing climate conditions, a new geological feature, etc - and will quickly evolve into a deity form. Sometimes an existing entity (land wight, ancestor, angel, Demon, etin, elemental, whatever) evolves or climbs up the 'corporate ladder' so to speak, and reaches a rank that places it at a level with deities, and thus becomes a deity almost by default.

I also believe that a certain amount of human belief and reverence will create a collective egregore that becomes deified, thus allowing for the possibility that figures of current popular culture and fiction may one day become new deities. I think this process takes many thousands of people over a number of generations though, and requires a certain amount of reverence or belief in the figure's divinity rather than just popularity and adoration.

While I do believe that we all have a Divine spark within us, and are all 'gods' within our own right, I don't think that we are 'deities' in the same way that the gods and goddesses of religion and mythology are. I don't think that deities are a race of being, but more like a class or rank of being, which is why we have gods from different races and species who are considered equals. I don't think that deities are only revered and worshipped by humans (though we as a species do seem particularly predisposed toward worshipping external beings that we consider superior to ourselves) thus my belief that they exist independently of us. While we have the power to 'create' a deity through our collective belief and reverence, I believe the deities aren't dependent on our belief to exist, and will continue existing whether humans think they do or not. Their power in our world may wax or wane depending on our belief and reverence, but their power in their own world isn't dictated by us.

Interesting question. I think that new gods are born, or created. Just not quite yet known or recorded. Perhaps some become patrons of new things that come into being; electronics, for instance, would require a patron deity.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast