Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New Gods Born?

Quote Originally Posted by Brightshores View Post
    This is a really interesting discussion. I like to think that new Gods are born/come into existence now - what was so special about 3000-1000 years ago that isn't special now? I do agree, They are probably coming into existence in a fairly difficult time, but maybe that's why They're coming?
    I don't really think that the Gods came into existence 3000-1000 years ago. They have made themselves known to the humanity at that time, but I personally tend to believe that they were born just when the Universe began to exist - or maybe even earlier.
    But then again, I don't really like the popular idea that the Gods are created by humans.

Quote Originally Posted by Louisvillian View Post
    Perhaps some become patrons of new things that come into being; electronics, for instance, would require a patron deity.
    I think I've heard from some Hellenic Pagans that Hermes seems to be a patron God of the IT now. Makes sense to me

Quote Originally Posted by Miwu View Post
    Just a note here: Mormon teachings teach that we become gods after death if we're righteous enough.
    do they really? thats interesting. i've never heard that one before.
    Last edited by aluokaloo; December 11th, 2009 at 01:06 PM.
    Crying "cherry-picking!" with one breath and "diversity!" with the next doesn't work either.~brymble
    "Sometimes the Light at the End of the Tunnel is really a Cranky Dragon waiting to roast your ass!"

In Darkness I Know Myself

Close friends with: Yarrow Elfglow, Czechwoods, Rudas Starblaze, Stormbeard, Philosophia, The Woman Monster, Rick and Elise, Sacred Sin David19.....

since i'm a pantheist...everything that comes into existance (every second of every day) is god, even as it changes form and/or function.

Quote Originally Posted by Nachtigall View Post
    But then again, I don't really like the popular idea that the Gods are created by humans.
    Same here. To me, they just wouldn't be gods if that were the case. They'd be constructs of the human mind.
    Furthermore, I do think the gods existed long before the universe as we know it came into existence; since I think they exist in an entirely separate reality.

I think I've heard from some Hellenic Pagans that Hermes seems to be a patron God of the IT now. Makes sense to me
    I could see that. But I could also conceivably see Zeus, since he rules over electricity; Athena, since she rules over crafts; or Hephaestus, since he rules over labour; and that's just touching the Greek gods.

It's an area of overlap, and there might result in a contest of power that might disrupt the harmony of the gods. Creating a new deity for it, or assigning it to a deity previously "without portfolio", seems like a reasonable compromise.

Quote Originally Posted by aluokaloo View Post
    do they really? thats interesting. i've never heard that one before.
    I used to be mormon, so yes, yes it was taught.

is offline <-- My own damn artwork for a change
    Quote Originally Posted by aluokaloo View Post
    In .... What do you guys think?
    Well start with Crowleys addage about gods being "aggregates of expereince" and then yes it does look like an ongoing process, or at the very least the raw energy that has the potential of coalescing in to deity is very much on tap

It may all depend on how we deal with it, maybe some obscure fluffer well end creating the spiritually dominating force of the next millinium

They'd be constructs of the human mind.
    Whatever is "real" or exsisting independantly is liable to make use of such constructs to deal with us

I'm sure there are both types, strict constructs and prexsisting entities as well as intermediate possibilities

I would rather deal with the constructs personally, hankering after the more objective types of being strikes me as akin to trying to beat trains to the rail road crossings

Quote Originally Posted by Garm View Post
    I would rather deal with the constructs personally, hankering after the more objective types of being strikes me as akin to trying to beat trains to the rail road crossings
    Brilliant example.
    “Nothing alive is the same from moment to moment. To live is to face the unknown over and over again.“

Quote Originally Posted by Garm View Post
    Well start with Crowleys addage about gods being "aggregates of expereince" and then yes it does look like an ongoing process, or at the very least the raw energy that has the potential of coalescing in to deity is very much on tap

It may all depend on how we deal with it, maybe some obscure fluffer well end creating the spiritually dominating force of the next millinium.
    This makes a lot of sense to me. Perhaps gods come to take on a role within new ideas and experiences. Like we have the internet, and perhaps some Being is a part of that. Or cars -- A car is not a horse, but something must be the driving force (heh) behind automobiles. Maybe even behind large entities -- gods founded tribes, why not corporations? There are probably gods of major political parties as well (my best guess is that a deified Reagan serves as the god of the Republicans, whereas FDR is the same for the Democrats). Who knows? I tend to be of the belief that gods will weaken and fade away or even die if neglected long enough, or if killed by something else. Perhaps they reincarnate, who knows.

In my opinion gods are energies just like everything else. The more energy one is given the more powerfull it becomes. Which ones if any have been created by the ultimate energy or God? I dont know. Personally I too like to work with constructs because I know where they came from and what they are composed of. Constructs are also useful as an effective channel to work with god energies.

This is a awesome question in that no theory can be approved or disapproved through any means we have on this plane.
    It is less dangerous to injure most people than to treat them too kindly.
    -Duc Francoise de La Rochefoucauld
    Judged by most of its results, love is closer to hatred than to friendship
    Without Darkness there can be no light, Without Evil there can be no good
    People who act in spite of their fear are truly brave
    -Unknown
    There is no sun without shadow, and it is essential to know the night.
    -Camus
    With our thought, we make the world.
    -Buddha

Pagan with a Phd in Theology

by Darkest Eve

I don't think people should take myths too literally. Aphrodite was said to have been born of Ouranos according to Hesiod, and the daughter of Zeus according to Homer, but this doesn't actually mean she's the "daughter" of either of these gods. It's probably just a poetic way to connect her with the sky (as Ouranos and Zeus are both sky gods), as Inanna and Ishtar, the precursors to Aphrodite, are sky goddesses, as is Aphrodite (as seen in her epithet, "Ourania" = "of Ouranos/heaven."

I think the gods are eternal, or at least, the ultimate divine force that manifests as gods is eternal. Humans personify things and "create" minor gods by doing so, but I don't think gods are actually up in the sky somewhere giving birth to new gods.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast