Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The New Hermetics

The New Hermetics

As the title of the thread suggests, I'm curious about The New Hermetics by Jason Augustus Newcomb.

Has anyone read it? What are your thoughts?

Cheers!

--Kaos
    “Nothing alive is the same from moment to moment. To live is to face the unknown over and over again.“

is offline Ceremonial magician and witch
    Greetings Kaos!

I have read it and was initially excited by Newcomb's paradigm. The New Hermetics represented a break from the tightly-structured CM systems that I was accustomed to and I enjoyed adding different 'tools' to my magickal toolbox. His book is a good launching-off pad for further studies into using NLP, Leary's theories, etc., for ritualistic purposes.

Alkhemia

I haven't read it yet but plan on it. After reading Alkhemia's post I may push it up on my to read list. I think it will be nice to be able to add more tools and incorporate some new ideas into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Alkhemia View Post
    Greetings Kaos!

I have read it and was initially excited by Newcomb's paradigm. The New Hermetics represented a break from the tightly-structured CM systems that I was accustomed to and I enjoyed adding different 'tools' to my magickal toolbox. His book is a good launching-off pad for further studies into using NLP, Leary's theories, etc., for ritualistic purposes.

Alkhemia
    Those are some of the things that interested me in this book. I'm a Certified Hypnotherapist, and quite skilled with various NLP techniques. I wonder how he might be tying these in to Magick. I'm not as well versed in Ceremonial Magick despite my curiosity every few years. I'm always put off by the Abrahamic elements of the various practices. I do enjoy the Kybalion, and you can't avoid some of Crowley's work when you've been involved in Chaos Magick as long as I have, but that's really all the Hermetics I've delved into.

Thanks for the input!

--Kaos
    “Nothing alive is the same from moment to moment. To live is to face the unknown over and over again.“

I've got it, and love it. The idea of doing all the rituals via visualization is far more practical than creating the space to do so physically, though I do feel that the physical aspect of the rituals (LBRP, etc.) is important to experience.

The NLP section is golden. I'm hoping he releases the rest of the materials soon.

Much like 21st Century Mage, he takes an old, confining concept and turns it on its head, then kicks it a few time 'til it starts behaving. :D
    Sidhe

If I wanted your opinion, I'd read it in your entrails.

My astral realmz; let me show you them.

Quote Originally Posted by sidhe View Post
    I've got it, and love it. The idea of doing all the rituals via visualization is far more practical than creating the space to do so physically, though I do feel that the physical aspect of the rituals (LBRP, etc.) is important to experience.

The NLP section is golden. I'm hoping he releases the rest of the materials soon.

Much like 21st Century Mage, he takes an old, confining concept and turns it on its head, then kicks it a few time 'til it starts behaving. :D
    Thank you for the input Sidhe! That's convinced me to give this book a try.

--Kaos

Oh - here's how NLP ties into magick: you use NLP to enhance meditation. If you have trouble with visualizations, look up and to the right while doing them, etc.
    Sidhe

Oh - here's how NLP ties into magick: you use NLP to enhance meditation. If you have trouble with visualizations, look up and to the right while doing them, etc.
    I wondered what approach he would take with that. It makes sense; however, NLP techniques are really best suited for communication. I thought he might be restructuring language pattern within rituals.

--Kaos

Quote Originally Posted by kaosxmage View Post
    I wondered what approach he would take with that. It makes sense; however, NLP techniques are really best suited for communication. I thought he might be restructuring language pattern within rituals.

--Kaos
    He does use some of the communicative techniques as well. However, what I find interesting is that the entire program is structured more like Argentum Astrum than the Golden Dawn. The student sets their own pace, and judges their own progress. Thus, there are no rituals, really, to restructure, just exercises for balancing aspects of the psyche based on elemental associations.
    Sidhe

He does use some of the communicative techniques as well. However, what I find interesting is that the entire program is structured more like Argentum Astrum than the Golden Dawn. The student sets their own pace, and judges their own progress. Thus, there are no rituals, really, to restructure, just exercises for balancing aspects of the psyche based on elemental associations.
    This is off topic, but I started the thread

You say it's structured more like Argentum Astrum than the Golden Dawn. I've never peered too deep into those orders, but I always imagined they were part of the same line of thought and practice. How is is that they differ?

--Kaos

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast