Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Morals

is offline I'm not shy. I'm just studying my prey

Morals

Who decides what is good, bad, right and wrong; and by what standard?

Are our morals based upon a mixture of social/parental/experienced influence?

How do we consciously judge what morals to adopt for ourselves?

How do you personally define "morals" (outside of a dictionary definition)?
    Facebook::Witch blog::Book Blog
    Gods and Goddesses, Paths: Dianic & Goddess Witchcraft, Theology & Philosophy, Just Current Events, and Political Pagan Forum Guide.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Buddha

Question everything.

I believe that morals are subjective, however many cultures' morals have been defined by religion. My moral code is defined by how the things I do and say make me feel. If I feel guilt or shame for something I did, then that something *might* be immoral.

Quote Originally Posted by Philosophia View Post
    When you pose this question, what sort of answer are you looking for? Do you wish to know how people in fact make moral decisions, or how they ought to? In the former case, the answers are surely obvious. In the latter case, perhaps the answers are not so obvious: but it seems clear that people do make moral decisions all the time, in accord with many standards, some rational, some not, some in between.

It seems likely that most people learn their moral ideas from these sources.

Again, there are lots of cards here you could pull.

You might judge things in a utilitarian way, and say that the right thing to do is that which produces the best consequences: the most benefit, the least harm.

You could say that there are moral duties, which ought to be fulfilled regardless of consequences: such duties arising from some conception of human nature, or human reason, or divine command.

You could live your life in accord with a conception of moral character, and follow the Heroic Virtues, or the Classical Virtues, or the character values of another similar moral tradition.

I define ethics as the study of what is excellent in human affairs; the practice of the qualities of moral character which one needs in order to fully flourish as a human being, and to be successful in the pursuit of the worthwhile life.

In this way my thinking is similar to that of Aristotle, as you find it in the Nicomachean Ethics, although I am also strongly influenced by other moral traditions too.
    -----------------
    Brendan Myers

Home page: http://brendanmyers.net
    Podcast: http://stonegatepodshow.net

I think our morals are decided by each of us. For me, it's really as simple as treating others as I'd like to be treated. I try to act in a way that I can inspire others to follow suit (my daughter specifically).

Signature Photos From JKP.

Learning better judgment helps to better judgment, so each person, while still availing themselves to the wisdom and knowledge of the wise, ultimately decides what is moral and just. It's something we struggle to develop in a life well examined.

I should not that as someone into orthopraxy (correct practices, including but not limited to functional ethics, virtues, hospitality and equality), I don't see morals only as something handed to us by God(s) and I don't accept black and white good/bad scenarios. They often don't fit. I also don't morals, virtues, and ethics in terms of legalism.

Our morals are based on a variety of influences, beliefs, experiences, emotions, and even worldviews...things that may include religion/spirituality but that religion, spiritual or rationalist paths alone can't address (something that differentiates religion from myopic limited religionism).

Speaking of worldviews, they have a powerful guiding force upon morals, virtues, ethics and all that. So much so that when we have an increasingly deeper functional understanding of both the equality and abuse power metaparadigms, we learn to add, tweak or discard morals as well as more carefully define them. In fact, we often start with and constantly revisit definitions and what they mean in terms of various elements in our lives.

I define morals by way of dictionary and by way of the equality power paradigm and the personal excellence it demands.

I think in todays world, society decides what is right and wrong. The law and judgement by others offer incentive to do the right thing. Dont kill that guy thats taking an annoyingly long time in front of you at the ATM, because you'll go to jail.

But I also belive that once upon a time, before laws and consequences, a basic human instinct told the first few people right from wrong. That it was based on nothing more than respect for human life. plain and simple. Over the many, many years, philosophers and thinkers just expanded and colored in the shades of grey : )
    ~blessed be~

I'm also fairly orthopraxic, but at least by my understanding of my faith, at the end of the day, all of the Roman virtues were based on the idea of reciprocity. I'm a good guest, but you must be a good host. I'll obey the laws, but the government should be just. It's the way society should work, and it did more often then not in ancient times.

There were certain things that were just wrong because they were wrong -- Iove did send a flood after being served a human sacrifice. That kind of stuff. But interpersonal relationships seem to mostly be guided by the idea that you were to behave reciprically.

Good questions.
    😈 "It's too bad that stupidity isn't painful." Anton LaVey 😈

Well these are just my short opinions. Probably you could write a whole essay for all those questions.

I think in general it is a mixture of religion and political parties and personalities that influence the normal morals of a society, and most people don't question those things enough. Well sometimes they can get into trouble for questioning them.

For most people, I would say yes. I try to make up my own mind about things but I guess that would still come under experienced influence.

In the end you can only go by what feels right to you once you have realised that there are no universal truths or judges. That means everyone will come to slightly different conclusions. You have to be logical, trust yourself and then be konsequent (truly live by what you believe).

Personal rules and beliefs about what is right and wrong.

The individual, for him/herself. Society for interactions between individuals. There may sometimes be a glaring difference between the two.

Obviously.

By being exposed to new information, or by having your existing morals challenged by new events.

I define morals as "what I'd be willing to do if there was no chance I'd be caught."
    What can we do to help you stop screaming?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast