Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Morals

is offline Somewhere between light and dark
    Has anyone read The Moral Landscape by Sam Harris? It is an interesting take on morality.

Great questions that I've thought a lot about throughout my life. The more I think about the subject the more complicated it gets. I will just say that I started out with a very black and white view on morality and what is right and wrong. The more I read, discuss and think in the subject the more the lines blur. I think we have to decide on our own morality but at the same time understand that just because someone else's view is different doesn't mean they are wrong.

Didn't quite answer the question exactly I guess but hope it makes sense.

Blinkie from THE ONE AND ONLY FLAIRE! Thanks!! As always YOU'RE THE BEST!!

Quote Originally Posted by Philosophia View Post
    Who decides what is good, bad, right and wrong; and by what standard?

Are our morals based upon a mixture of social/parental/experienced influence?

How do we consciously judge what morals to adopt for ourselves?

How do you personally define "morals" (outside of a dictionary definition)?
    Starting from the last question and working backwards...
    How do I personally define morals? I am less and less sure about that. I would say that I am amoral by many people's standards. But I guess morals are those values which go beyond any man made law. My values are based on doing what I want and need and avoiding unnecessary harm to others where possible. The moral part of that is the belief that all people would be happier and safer if they followed the same concept and that those who transgress this line I have invented are not worthy of respect or forgiveness.
    How do we consciously adopt morals? I think it takes a great deal of will power to consciously adopt a personal moral code rather than accept one imposed from outside but that is what I am trying to do. In effect you need to forget and ignore every moral value you have been taught or have incorporated from society and start again from the beginning. What makes sense, what seems right and wrong to you, no matter what other people think or say. In reality I think most people just accept a moral code; maybe religious, maybe legal which falls roughly in line with their pre-existing sentiments or the norm in their culture or family.

So to answer the first two questions I think most people's morals are indeed based mostly on the values of their family or wider community. Sometimes people choose a social environment, group or religion because it corresponds with their own values but most people never really work moral values out entirely for themselves. And I think that is a bad thing.
    😈 "It's too bad that stupidity isn't painful." Anton LaVey 😈

Quote Originally Posted by Philosophia View Post
    Who decides what is good, bad, right and wrong; and by what standard?

Are our morals based upon a mixture of social/parental/experienced influence?

How do we consciously judge what morals to adopt for ourselves?

How do you personally define "morals" (outside of a dictionary definition)?
    What do we mean, stated "morals" - or morals in action?
    There's hardly a person on the planet who could not - under the right circumstances - be made to do what he/she swore that he/she would never do, no matter how revolting the prospect.
    All one has to do is threaten his/her survival - or that of a loved one - especially a child - and one doesn't even have to go that far. A large bribe will often do.
    If the bribe is large enough, a monster can always be found.
    I have my own set of morals - and I stick to them - but I do not expect anyone else to abide by them.
    One more thing - trust. I wonder why people are so desperate to find people whom they can trust. In the end, nearly everyone will do what is in his/her own best interests - trust that.
    Accept the World the way it is - and stop being such a sour puss. It's much easier for a magician to work w/the World rather than against it.
    OMNIA DEPENDET

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2