Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Happier now than as a Theist?

Happier now than as a Theist?

I wanted to post this as it's been on mind for a bit, but, are you happier now than when (that is if) you were Theistic?, like, for myself, I really don't know what label to use for me, on some levels, Non-Theistic suits me, on other levels, I still kind of believe in deities, on some levels anyway, but, I have stopped trying to fit myself into various paths, and am just enjoying the journey, wherever it may lead, and I do feel happier that I'm not trying to force myself into this religion or that path, or that God, or this God or whatever, right now, I'm just learning about different beliefs, mainly Tibetan Buddhism right now, and others, and if something clicks, it clicks, if not, it doesn't, but, I think I am definitely more happier.

What about you?, are you happier now since you became Non-Theistic, or, having some kind of inner conflict (if that's too personal, feel free not to answer)?.

No. I tried but it was too lonely.
    ......with liberty and justice for all;
    For all means for all without exceptions!

What is more valuable than liberty? Nothing, not even my own life. As without liberty, is life really worth living?

"those who would give up a little liberty, to gain a little security, deserve neither, and will lose both." -Benjamin Franklin

"Don't Tread on Me" - Forgot

is offline Teller of Unvarnished Truth
    Hudson River Valley in the shadow of Storm King Mountain
    It is only lonely on sunday when everyone who thinks they are theistic is in church... Once they come back out and commence acting like heathens again I have plenty of company.
    God is an underachiever.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hell yeah I am!

Our ignorance is not so vast as our failure to use what we know. ~ M. King Hubbert

is offline I was not born under a rhyming planet.
    I would have to say that I am, most certainly, happier now than I ever was as a theist.

There are no rotten tests, no things I have to do, no deity checking if I've been naughty or nice...

I am my own person. I look out over the universe and see things that are so awesome, so immense and so beautiful and I am happy that I do not have some myth clouding my judgment when I look at it.
    Because we are all so much more amazing, and so much more interesting and the universe is so much more peculiar and inspiring when you realize that there is not some deity controlling it or us.

We are made of star-stuff. So infinitely much closely connected than most theists even realize sometimes.

I am happier... because there is no deity I have to please or can displease. Instead there are the people around me and myself. Those are the ones I have to answer to. Those are the ones I get love from, approval and forgiveness from.
    Not some psychological manifestation... but flesh and blood beings.

I have no idea if this rant makes sense to that many people, because it's hard to explain. At least I did my best for now...
    Previously known as Njorun Alma

"A mind of the calibre of mine cannot derive its nutriment from cows." - George Bernard Shaw

At this present time, I would have to say yes... I am happier. Things make so much more sense to me now, then when I was desperately trying to find a god/dess that was "mine", and I was wondering if there was something wrong with me in that I couldn't connect with one (well, not really anyway... I thought I had something with the Greek goddess, Selene for a while, but it was nothing in the end).

It is far too soon to tell at the moment, and I've got so much to "unlearn", as it were, and then so much more to learn regarding my particular path and how it can be agnostic and yet still pagan, but I'm quite excited about getting started
    Last edited by araminta; January 28th, 2010 at 08:26 PM.
    Minty. xx

Right now I consider myself an atheist, and am in much the same position you are, David. I just felt like I needed to completely start over and I may stay where I'm at for a while. I don't know..I was just tired of worrying about all of it.

is offline My love is poured upon the Earth
    i'am, for me it feels personally liberating! i don't have to be beholden to so called "laws" of a deity or deities that more than likely do not exist. I have had the occasional set back (embarrassing enough! ) though, but i'm back on track now i still have a fascination with the ancient gods and mythology, but as symbols/archetypes, not as literal beings.
    Last edited by MoonBreath; February 13th, 2010 at 12:09 PM.

I think I'm happier. I don't believe in a god or goddess - but occasionally I'll ask..well, the universe, for help. I don't think the universe is deity. I don't know if it can even help me, but I mostly do it to get everything out of my mind that's stressful. Once I put what's stressing me into words, I can more easily solve it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacredsin View Post
    Right now I consider myself an atheist, and am in much the same position you are, David. I just felt like I needed to completely start over and I may stay where I'm at for a while. I don't know..I was just tired of worrying about all of it.
    Glad I'm not alone, sometimes, it's really just heard to know what to call myself, like, I define myself as Pagan, and, yet, I don't know if that describes me, or if the word Spiritual would be better. Like I said in my OP, I think I'm just going to study different traditions (right now I'm learning about the Jewish Kabbalah which definitely interests me), and very soon, I'll be going to this Buddhist meditation class near me, which should be cool. We'll see if anything jumps out at me, or makes me connect with a specific path.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast