Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Offerings and how to make them?

Offerings and how to make them?

Hello all
    okay so one of the things i really think i need to learn is how to preform offerings to my Gods. I've looked around and seen some lists about what to offer but i have no idea how exactly you offer thing to them, like ritual wise. I've heard said that Anubis likes things like tootsie rolls, but can't get his mind around the wrappers (*random aside: does it seem odd that the lord of mummification has issues with wrappings? all honor and respect, just noticing), how do you learn this? will the gods "tell" you? will they make it know what they like? if so how, is it just a matter of being open to there presence or feelings?

My Shrine is a refurbished lantern type structure thats about two feet tall inside it has a bowl of sand that serves and an incense holder (places stick vertically ashes fall into sand. but i don't use it often due to roommate sensitivity to smell *-.-) along with a candle and pictures of my pantheon. I'm unable to have a proper alter due to space issue and living in a broom closet (I came out of the regular closet already does that make it easier to come out of the broom closet? ^.^ ) due to my land lords (think cheery conservative Catholics, they don't know that all the houses tenants like boys yet) so should i add anything? or just leave offering in front? if things go stale should i remove them from the shrine after a period of time or treat it in the Hindu and eat the blessed food and take in there blessing? how much of what I just asked comes down to personal choice?

is offline walking the road to see where it leads
    really... my suggestion (after being slammed into a recent role of inter pantheon divine messenger whore) is to go with what pulls, kind of like if you pull a tarot card from an open deck... when you place your hand over it, or are around the correct item it will feel right... I say it this way because I'm not really one for lists and tables as I feel that though there are gods out there that kind of require it, most of them want as personal an offering as they can get.
    Per Mare, Per Terras!!!

Feel Free to PM me with your request

*sigh* I finally did it... thar be my dragons, pwease qwick them... I don't want to go to jail for neglect... what'd a dragon ever do to you??

Your friendly solitary non-traditional eclectic.

"Follow me into the depths of insanity, leave beliefs and apprehensions at the door"- quoth the ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by Divinely_Curious View Post
    how do you learn this?
    Research (what does the historical record say in regards to offerings?) Intuition (what makes sense/feels right?) and Following Orders (what does the deity in question have to say on the matter?).

I have a friend that makes offerings of whisky and chocolate to Thor. It works well for her and Thor has let her know that yes, this is quite acceptable, thank you. She puts them under an oak tree.
    The Sexy Heathen Babe

It differs according to the god, of course. A spell that someone else taught you will specify how the sacrifice should be made. If it's something you were Inspired into, the god will tell you what is an acceptable sacrifice. A general rule of thumb, though, is that if you would normally consider an action to be littering, it's not a sacrifice. That's probably why Anubis doesn't like tootsie roll wrappers. The tootsie rolls are the sacrifice because they are normally wrapped, but He doesn't want to deal with the paper.

Squat, the Goddess of Parking, considers money put into a parking meter to be a sacrifice to Her.

What I do is put bread out for birds as an offering to the Goddess or if it's summer I find various things on the ground and put them on the altar

Maybe try taking a tootsie roll - the wrapper and place it either on your altar or under a tree in your backyard and then say thanks
    For the wanderer's heart there is no cure

Try stuff out. I've offfered all kinds of things to my gods, sometimes it seems they really liked it and sometimes not so much. You start to figure it out after a while.

Do your research and find out what's been offered throughout the ages to the Gods of your choice. Make a list of those your comfortable with, contemplate how some of these offerings have evolved, consider sacred animals, plants, and anything else you could involve. Beyond that, meditate and use your intuition to discover the best ways to grow that relationship unique to your and your Gods.

--Kaos
    “Nothing alive is the same from moment to moment. To live is to face the unknown over and over again.“

Many thanx all!
    One of the other things i can't seem to get my head around is where/how do i make This offering? Neither Djehuty or Lakshmi seem to me like "leave it under the tree" gods, so would it be better to burn things?, bury them beside Libraries, or jsu tgo with what ever seems right?

p.s who is Squat and what pantheon dose she belong to? I've never heard of any gods newer then Allah

Underworld type gods seem to like stuff being buried, Upperwolrd and sky gods seem to like stuff being burned, Nature gods are in the compost heap or under a tree types gods, watery gods like it tossed in a body of water as do many underworld gods. A bowl on an altar, shrine or even the back stoop can often work just as well.

Once again sometimes you just have to try stuff out and see what works, asking the specific god what his/her preference is can be helpful too.

Sometimes one has to really think outside the box when it comes to offerings.

For instance Artemis is one I make offerings to. Now being a woodland goddess as one facet one might think that leaving things that the woodland creatures can eat might be a good offering. Things like apples, green leafy things, etc would or might seem like a good offering. Yet from my experience Artemis really dislikes those type things. The main reason being that to leave such an offering is to leave the scent of man at the location. Once the deer get used to the scent of man if it is a routine offering they are easier to kill in the hunt. It also removes some of the fear that animals would have of man that might make them a bit more leary.

The other thing is you must consider what the greater affects will be also. Sometimes leaving food offerings or liquid offerings will draw things to the area that you really do not want there. I live in a mountainous area so when we leave food out as offering we might just draw in a bear, a mountain lion, bobcat or a number of other creature's that normally would not be drawn to the area but a free meal is a free meal.

So for offerings to Artemis and Bast I tend to burn them and let the fire consume all of it. The residue is pretty much burnt away and only ash is left to be washed away through weather or the water I use on the final embers.

Hekate on the other hand I either bury or pour into an opening into the earth. The only exception to that rule is when I leave a Hekate Supper out twice a year at a cross roads setting. But Hekate to me has not asked for hard food items but usually liquid or syrpy items such as honey. Though she does like eggs as part of the offering.

But like other's have said read up on your particular god / goddess and see what is there. Also pay attention to the evolution of sacrifice and offerings and you might get a good idea of other ways to make them.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast