Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Offerings and how to make them?

Good point I have caught the cat drinking the milk and honey left out before and when living in a rural area I had to keep raccons and cyotes in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Divinely_Curious View Post
    Many thanx all!
    One of the other things i can't seem to get my head around is where/how do i make This offering? Neither Djehuty or Lakshmi seem to me like "leave it under the tree" gods, so would it be better to burn things?, bury them beside Libraries, or jsu tgo with what ever seems right?

p.s who is Squat and what pantheon dose she belong to? I've never heard of any gods newer then Allah
    In Ancient Egypt it was costum to consume offerings of the gods. They believed the gods took it's spiritual essence; the Egyptian gods are known not to like wasting so maybe you could eat your edible offerings?
    As for Hindu gods (Lakshmi being one): in most traditions offered food becomes prasaad, which is also eaten by followers. only a little bite is tossed in a river or burried or something like that.

I hope this helps

who is Squat and what pantheon dose she belong to?
    The Discordian one.

Squat is the Goddess of Parking, a modern deity who rewards the faithful with good parking spaces when properly invoked. She typically appears as a heavyset black woman in a meter maid's uniform.

To gain Squat's blessing, there are a number of chants that can be used. The one that I was taught is to make the sign of Squat (fingers splayed with thumb and ring fingers touching, sort of like the O.K. sign) and chant "Squat, Squat...find me a spot" until a space presents itself. Thank Her with the chant "Squat, Squat...thanks for the spot. We think you're real hot and we love you a lot" and a tribute. The parking fee counts as tribute, or a couple pennies dropped on the ground. She is also said to be fond of dirty jokes, especially ones featuring nuns.

Thank you all again :D
    (I might be over using the :D face.....)
    major thanks to Cinnamon1991 big help. I'm correct in thinking that the Greek fashion was similar? i know for Zeus it was the fashion to divide the parts one for the gods one, which was burnt, and the other portion was eaten. was this just Zeus or for all gods?

Thank you all again :D
    (I might be over using the :D face.....)
    major thanks to Cinnamon1991 big help. I'm correct in thinking that the Greek fashion was similar? i know for Zeus it was the fashion to divide the parts one for the gods one, which was burnt, and the other portion was eaten. was this just Zeus or for all gods?
    If I recall correctly the Ancient Greeks actually did this for every god, making offering a meal for the community. The fat and bones were left in the ritual fire to burn and the people ate the good parts. Has something to do with a myth which I can't fully remember.
    Though I think they also burried offerings to Chthonic ('earthly' or 'under the earth') gods but I think someone on the Hellenic path can help out better than I can .

is offline Inner Goddess Of Morbid Thoughts
    First off i would like to star by ROFL at the tootsie role thing. (hopefully Anubis doesnt hear) i usually leave cakes/cookies/ ect longer then bury them, and eat things like meat after a few minuets. candy i leave untill i need the alter for specific purposes, but then i give it to my brother. for actually giving the offering, i would say a small prayer and set it on the alter. maybe even continue to pray for a while before leaving. (also if its meat, make sure no animals are in the room. they might try to eat it '- -)
    Bouncey, Bouncey, Bouncey......

"are the bad people gone?"

commander sheapard: Put more of the stuff in the... the thing more stuff goes in.

Commander Shepard: You think I'm crazy, don't you?
    Urdnott Wrex: Sometimes crazy is the best way to go.

Ashley Williams: Why is it whenever someone says "with all due respect", they really mean "kiss my ass"?

This is something I've long struggled with. One of the great things about a message board like this is the inspiration that comes from reading everyone's ideas.

I ask myself, what is the purpose of making an offering, in the first place? Surely we don't believe the gods need us to provide them with anything they can't get for themselves.

I'm guessing that offerings show honor and love; thus, anything that honors your gods or expresses your love for them is appropriate.

I think it's possible to pay too much attention to a god's reputation for liking this and not liking that; if that's what you believe, then obviously disregarding it shows a lack of respect. However, I can't imagine a god getting bent out of shape if someone gave him something out of devotion, ignorant that he's reputed to dislike it. A god who is more interested in riigid adherence to rules while disregarding the heart -- well, isn't mine, and never will be.

Anything you put on your altar that helps to put you in a worshipful frame of mind is an offering, because worship is about drawing near to your god.

Besides gifts of objects, there is also sacrifice. Sacrifice shows love, too, and can increase the bond between you. Fasting can be an offering; and fasting needn't be from food. It can be from anything you enjoy. Doing volunteer work can be an offering, even if the fact that it is done for your god is a secret between just the two of you. Taking time to make yourself beautiful before prayer or ritual, even if solitary, can be an offering. And, of course, sex can be an offering.

I really like Keep Shining's idea of giving bread to the birds as an offering. I really, really like it. Maybe that part of this thread was for me.

is offline Inner Goddess Of Morbid Thoughts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Terrific View Post
    And, of course, sex can be an offering.

Heh heh heh. that made me nervous giggle.
    Bouncey, Bouncey, Bouncey......

"are the bad people gone?"

commander sheapard: Put more of the stuff in the... the thing more stuff goes in.

Commander Shepard: You think I'm crazy, don't you?
    Urdnott Wrex: Sometimes crazy is the best way to go.

Ashley Williams: Why is it whenever someone says "with all due respect", they really mean "kiss my ass"?

again many thanks to all that posted *bow*
    (And a thanks to the Mystic Wick ppls that sent the b-day thing it made my night :D)

okay so i hear prayer is important but where do you get them? books? elders? your own imagination?

Quote Originally Posted by PepperMintFairy View Post
    Heh heh heh. that made me nervous giggle.
    haha that made me laugh

i had heard that that could be offered, though i'm sure Herhert would like that, i just don't think Djehuty would find that to his liking haha

thanks again :D

Quote Originally Posted by Cinnamon1991 View Post
    If I recall correctly the Ancient Greeks actually did this for every god, making offering a meal for the community. The fat and bones were left in the ritual fire to burn and the people ate the good parts. Has something to do with a myth which I can't fully remember.
    You're thinking of the titan, Prometheus. He divided a sacrificial bull into two parts, hiding the meat beneath the stomach and offal, and the bones in a coat of "glistening fat." The gods chose the latter because it was more visually appealing. By rejecting the ugly but edible meat in favor of the beautiful but useless bones, the gods set the pattern for all future animal sacrifices in the Greek tradition.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast