Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Herbs for protection?

Herbs for protection?

Hey guys and gals.
    Does anyone have any ideas of herbs that can be made into a tea for protection, either from negative spirits/entities or protection in general?
    Onward, ever striving onward,
    Proudly on our brooms we fly.
    Straight and true above the tree tops,
    Shadows on a moonlit sky.

Ne'er a day will pass before us,
    When we have not tried our best.
    Kept our cauldrons bubbling nicely,
    Cast our spells with zest.

Fearless Witches, never flinching -
    Through the dark and dismal nights.
    Ghouls and ghosts and nightmare monsters,
    Run away in fright!

We are the girls with skills in sorcery -
    When in flight, quite a sight to see!
    We're young Witches and glad to be
    Learning our craft at Cackles Academy!

There are quite a few actually
    but heres some
    angelica, anise, elder, mryhh, cinnamen, nettle, juniper and sandlewood
    but always study up on anything you plan to take internally
    Last edited by Astara Seague; January 24th, 2010 at 11:29 PM.
    Being powerful is like being a lady If you have to tell people you are, you aren't

Advanced Paganism, Meditation
    and Books Forum Guide
    and also a writer for MW Magazine

Serenity is not freedom from the storm..it is peace during the storm

:fpraise: many thanks to Patriciaj for great banner

Its your life..live it as you like

myspace.com/Mydnitejazmine

my covens site
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/archaic_silvermoon/

Thanks Astara! We got some spirit issues and I figured, a protection charm that's actually *in* you is better than one on the outside that can be taken from you, ya know?

Run away in fright!

Some of those herbs are medicinal and some aren't going to taste very good in tea.

Also, safe amounts are not suggested and the parts of the herbs used is not mentioned. You don't want to be ingesting juniper leaves or bark, just the berries, as it produces an oil that is an irritant.

The combination of some of these herbs taken internally could affect a lot more than nasty spirits following you around. Like for instance ... your liver or circulatory system.

I know this will sound biatchy ... but ... in regards to herbalism and wortcunning, just having a list of correspondences is not enough. Especially when it comes to ingesting something.

I know it might seem like nit-picking but if you are going to suggest to someone to ingest herbs, you should know them well enough to spell their names correctly ... as a starting point.

Also if you are taking herbs you have never had before, be aware you might discover an allergy you did not know you had.

Here's two safer and tastier suggestions. That you can find already semi-prepared for you in your spice rack.

Juni's Spicy Protection Tea
    In a tea-ball (or loose in the pot) use equal amounts of:
    Cinnamon
    Ground clove
    Anise seed
    You should have about two to three teaspoons worth of herbs in total for one regular sized tea pot.
    As you add each herb, cup the herbs in your hand and ask for protection.
    Steep for about ten minutes
    Add honey to taste
    Drink with gratitude.

Or Juni's Semi-sweet Protection Tea
    In a tea-ball (or loose in the pot) use equal amounts of:
    Rosemary
    Chamomile
    Mint
    Sweet basil
    You should have about two to three teaspoons worth of herbs in total for one regular sized tea pot.
    As you add each herb, cup the herbs in your hand and ask for protection.
    Steep for about ten minutes.
    Add honey to taste
    Drink with gratitude.
    Last edited by Juniper138; January 15th, 2010 at 09:06 PM.

to each their own..
    the herbs I mentioned will not hurt you as long as they are cooked ..or seeped
    raw elder is the only one that has issues..Juniper I have never had a problem with
    and alot of medicanes dont taste so good..herbs are no exception

Of course as with anything you take you should make sure you have no allergies or interactions with, especilly if you take any perscriptions

if you dont know
    check with your doc

Being powerful is like being a lady If you have to tell people you are, you aren't

Advanced Paganism, Meditation
    and Books Forum Guide
    and also a writer for MW Magazine

Serenity is not freedom from the storm..it is peace during the storm

:fpraise: many thanks to Patriciaj for great banner

Its your life..live it as you like

myspace.com/Mydnitejazmine

my covens site
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/archaic_silvermoon/

No, not to each their own. We are talking about herbalism and medicine here, not what color candle to light.

One of the ways you prepare herbs to be used as medicine to make an infusion, which is to cook or to steep ... to make tea.

An infusion of angelica roots and/or leaves is used for colds, coughs, pleurisy, wind, colic, rheumatism and diseases of the urinary organs, though it should not be given to patients who have a tendency towards diabetes, as it causes an increase of sugar in the urine.

Juniper is used as a diuretic, stomachic, and carminative in indigestion, flatulence, and diseases of the kidney and bladder. The chief use of Juniper is as an adjuvant to diuretics in dropsy depending on heart, liver or kidney disease. It imparts a violet odour to the urine, and large doses may cause irritation to the passages. An infusion of 1 oz. to 1 pint of boiling water may be taken in the course of twenty-four hours.

Anise is an expectorant. Carminative and pectoral. Anise enjoys considerable reputation as a medicine in coughs and pectoral affections. In hard, dry coughs where expectoration is difficult, it is of much value. It is greatly used in the form of lozenges and the seeds have also been used for smoking, to promote expectoration.
    For infantile catarrh, Aniseed tea is very helpful. It is made by pouring half a pint of boiling water on 2 teaspoonsful of bruised seed. This, sweetened, is given cold in doses of 1 to 3 teaspoonsful frequently.
    The stimulant and carminative properties of Anise make it useful in flatulency and colic. For colic, the dose is 10 to 30 grains of bruised or powdered seeds infused in distilled water, taken in wineglassful doses, or 4 to 20 drops of the essential oil on sugar. For the restlessness of languid digestion, a dose of essence of aniseed in hot water at bedtime is much commended.

As for elder:
    De Sanctis claims to have isolated the alkaloid Coniine from the branches and leaves of Sambucus nigra. Alpes (Proc. Amer. Pharm. Assoc., 1900) found undoubted evidence of an alkaloid in the roots of the American Elder (S. Canadensis), its odour being somewhat similar to that of coniine and also suggesting nicotine. This alkaloid was evidently volatile. It appeared to be much less abundant in the dried roots after some months keeping. The fresh root of S. Canadensis has been found extremely poisonous, producing death in children within a short time after being eaten with symptoms very similar to those of poisoning by Hemlock (Conium).
    Like the bark, the leaves are also purgative, but more nauseous than the bark. Their action is likewise expectorant, diuretic and diaphoretic.
    Tea made from Elder Flowers has also been recommended as a splendid spring medicine, to be taken every morning before breakfast for some weeks, being considered an excellent blood purifier.
    For colic and diarrhoea, a tea made of the dried berries is said to be a good remedy.

Myrrh “tea” is an expectorant in the absence of feverish symptoms, a stimulant to the mucous tissues, a stomachic carminative, exciting appetite and the flow of gastric juice, and an astringent wash.

Cinnamon can be a carminative, astringent, stimulant, antiseptic; more powerful as a local than as a general stimulant; is prescribed in powder and infusion but usually combined with other medicines. It stops vomiting, relieves flatulence, and given with chalk and astringents is useful for diarrhoea and haemorrhage of the womb.

As for nettle, which kind were you referring to? There are about 500 species of nettle.

Sandalwood is used internally in chronic bronchitis, a few drops on sugar giving relief; also in gonorrhoea and gleet; in chronic cystitis, with benzoic and boric acids.

Safety is an issue. Time to "update" my original post. Are there any protection herbs that are safe to drink, and that wont kill me and my friends?

Run away in fright!

You won't get killed though possibly sick. Respect and responsibility is important here

The two tea recipes I suggested should work quite nicely.

Thanks Juni-chan! Will those recipes be enough for 8?

Run away in fright!

Personally, what I use for protection is bay leaves(one per pot of tea, removed after steeping), some aloe(Juice, can be found at most Latin American grocery stores in the US.), and general tea(I like black tea.), with a blessing over it asking the Gods to protect me.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast