Page 6 of 78 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 56 ... LastLast

Thread: What Are You Reading Right Now (Part 2)

Boswell's Life of Johnson, Vol. I. (Or is it Johnson's Life of Boswell? one of the two, anyway.) I found both volumes in a box in our local charity shoppe. Published about 1790 I think. Only 1 for the two. My word, he does go rambling off down some byways, does ol' Boswell. He'll have like four lines of text at the top of the page, and then a footnote that goes off for several pages on a complete tangent, with various random bits of poetry thrown in. I thoroughly recommend it.
    ~ Light up, light up, ~
    ~ As if you have a choice ~
    ~ Even if you cannot hear my voice, ~
    ~ I'll be right beside you dear. ~

^ Thanks to GEBS for my little friend here ^

:

Agriculture of the Hidatsa Indians: An Indian Interpretation, Gilbert L. Wilson and Buffalo Bird Woman. What I didn't realize when I picked it up is that Wilson was an early student of Albert Jenks, who founded the department I got my undergrad degree from and who I can hold personally responsible for the absolutely appalling organization of random artifacts he purchased anonymously and loaded the university's archaeology collections with. 70-some years later, I got to fix the thousands of glaring errors in that catalog. Joy.

Also The Later Medieval City: 1300-1500 by David Nicholas and Neil Gaiman's Sandman series.

Blood Magic by Eileen Wilks
    As I was walking all alane, I heard twa corbies making a mane, the tane unto the nither did day, What sall we gang and dine the day?

Help! Mom! There Are Liberals Under My Bed! - Katharine DeBrecht
    Help! Mom! Hollywood's in My Hamper! - Katharine DeBrecht
    Help! Mom! The 9th Circuit Nabbed the Nativity - Katharine DeBrecht

These are HILARIOUS. If you're a conservative. I suspect liberals would dislike them intensely.

I am the religious right. Just not the religion most people expect.

Contrary to popular belief, Hello Kitty is not my totem animal.

A wayfarer should not walk unarmed, But have his weapons to hand: He knows not when he may need a spear, Or what menace meet on the road. ~~Havamal #38
    Become the change you wish to see in the world.
    The Cellar

Pride & Prejudice - Jane Austen
    Take a look at me Blog!

Follow me on Twitter!

2012: The Return of Quetzalcoatl by Daniel Pinchbeck

I'm only up to Chapter 2 but I'm amazed at how this author seems to be almost anticipating my next thoughts as I read it. Our minds must work in similar ways! Anyway, by the title I thought it was going to be another stupid book about how we're all going to die in 2 years but (so far) it's nothing like that. I suggest reading about the book before just running out and buying it, though, because it's definitely not for everyone.
    Are you a real cat lover?
    http://CatReligion.org - The Order of the Divine Feline

Quote Originally Posted by LostSheep View Post
    Boswell's Life of Johnson, Vol. I. (Or is it Johnson's Life of Boswell? one of the two, anyway.) I found both volumes in a box in our local charity shoppe. Published about 1790 I think. Only 1 for the two. My word, he does go rambling off down some byways, does ol' Boswell. He'll have like four lines of text at the top of the page, and then a footnote that goes off for several pages on a complete tangent, with various random bits of poetry thrown in. I thoroughly recommend it.
    Wow, sounds like ADD before they invented all those pesky drugs to cure it :-)
    Are you a real cat lover?
    http://CatReligion.org - The Order of the Divine Feline

Wuthering Heights, by Emily Bronte, for about the five hundredth time. I love that book...

Thousand Sons by graham McNeill
    Exitus Acta probat
    "I cast magic missile into the darkness."
    THE GOD OF RANDOMIZED THWACKING and silly wars
    Current # of disciples: 42

I got most of my souls back.
    "Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever" - the Replacements.

'Daily Life of the Egyptian Gods' by Dimitri Meeks & Christine Favard-Meeks. Very, very cool.

Page 6 of 78 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 56 ... LastLast