Thread: The Aztec (nahua) path.

The Aztec (nahua) path.

Hi everyone!
    Is there anyone who's following the Nahua path (aztec religion) in either recon or any other way?

Ever since Chalchihuitlicue grabbed my attention I'm wanting to learn more about this path, eventhough it's quite unknown and bloodletting scares the hell out of me.

Thanks!

Good luck! I've been working towards discovering Mayan traditions for years now. I still feel like I am at the beginning.

What about bloodletting scares you? If done under proper supervision with proper tools it's not scary at all IMO.
    Support MW by subscribing

We don't exist without your help.

I had a discussion with an Aztec recon called XOC recently on paganspace.net. He seemed like he knew his stuff or atleast he knew how to look like he knew his stuff to someone who doesnt know anything. Its a free site so you could go look him up and ask questions easily enough anyway.

Here's, IMO, the best resource for anyone wanting to know about the Aztec religion:

The Aztec Gateway

I know the guy who runs it, and he's no New Age fluff bunny, he doesn't pull things out of his ass.

Black & Red Yahoo Group

This is a Yahoo Group for Aztec Recons, and those interested in the religion, there's a lot of knowledgable people on there, and you'll learn a lot.

Also, try and get a book called 'Religions of Mesoamerica' by David Carrasco, I have it and it's a great introduction to the Aztec (and Mayan) religions, and Gods, and explains the purpose of bloodletting and human sacrifice in the Aztec and Mayan cosmology.

Hope this helps .

Thanks everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by GEBS View Post
    Good luck! I've been working towards discovering Mayan traditions for years now. I still feel like I am at the beginning.

What about bloodletting scares you? If done under proper supervision with proper tools it's not scary at all IMO.
    Mayan traditions are interesting too, but I find Mesoamerican practices quite hard to study because there are few good sources and it's not a culture I'm familiar with.
    And the pain is what scares me the most in bloodletting... Well, not really the pain, 'cause it doesn't really hurt to poke your finger or something like that, but I just cannot poke myself, if that makes any sense, heh.

And thanks for that book and website recommendation, David and Nuadu, I'll try to look into them!

Quote Originally Posted by Cinnamon1991 View Post
    Thanks everyone!

Mayan traditions are interesting too, but I find Mesoamerican practices quite hard to study because there are few good sources and it's not a culture I'm familiar with.
    And the pain is what scares me the most in bloodletting... Well, not really the pain, 'cause it doesn't really hurt to poke your finger or something like that, but I just cannot poke myself, if that makes any sense, heh.

And thanks for that book and website recommendation, David and Nuadu, I'll try to look into them!
    No problem, and, if you're looking for a good starting point, the 'Religions of Mesoamerica' is probably the best intro to religions of ancient (and even modern) Mesoamerica.

Also, the site I linked to has a whole page of book reviews and recommended reading, which should help a lot .

I know a bit regarding Aztec and Mayan pathos, simply for the fact that the old Anikutani priesthood of the Tsalagi (Cherokee) came from that line.
    This was back before we established the seven-clan system. You might consider looking into the Mississippi mound building complex, which covers much of the southeast united states.
    also look into Cahokia mound and the Spiro site mound. compare the image you see with Mayan and Aztec iconography.
    That will give you some insight into not only the cultural migration and transition that occurred in that area, it will also give you some insight into what Mayan and Aztec life might have been like,
    though understand at that point the cultures were also becoming their own branches.
    Tsalagi Nvwoti Didahnvwesgi Ale Didahnesesgi
    (Cherokee medicine practitioner of left and right hand paths)
    anikutani.stfu-kthx.net - The Anikutani Tradition