Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Places I would never stay the night

is offline has the right to eat chocolate

Places I would never stay the night

Places I would never spend the night - just some waffling about some haunted places that scare the beejeesus outta me.

Edinburgh Vaults - Edinburgh, Scotland

The vaults beneath Edinburgh have been the scene of some horrendous incidents - such as when the inhabitants of Edinburgh took refuge from a fire in the vaults and were slowly burned alive as the stone conducted the heat. Their cries can supposedly still be heard in the vaults.

There is also the legend that serial killers Burke and Hare stored the bodies of their victims down here, and there is a ghost of a murdered little girl who appears to visitors in the vaults. Visitors leave toys for the girl - and she seems to get angry if anyone disturbs the toys.

Most recently, a cockney idiot called Joe Swash spent four hours in the vaults late at night, and his microphone captured unexplainable voices which he did not hear at the time. One of the voices carries on a monologue for twenty minutes which, it has been suggested, sounds like a Catholic Priest reading The Last Rites. High-pitched screams were then heard, and the monologue abruptly ended. This recording has not yet been explained.

Catacombs - Paris, France

In the 1700s, the French ran out of places to bury their dead. “Sacre bleu!” they said. “Vat shall ve do with all zees bones?” Then someone had the bright idea to stick all the bones in the underground tunnels that were (for some reason) constructed under Paris and lying empty. These tunnels are miles and miles long…and they’re full of human bones. Tibia, fibia, verterbrae…and skulls of course. The entry to the catacombs bears the inscription “Arrête, c'est ici l'empire de la Mort" ('Stop, this is the empire of Death').

If miles of bones wasn’t enough to freak you out, there are people who go down into the catacombs for FUN. Actually, they’re trying to map all the tunnels. The French government doesn’t like this very much, so whenever they find an entrance to the catacombs, they block it up. Sometimes, people go down there and don’t come back.

Think I’m exaggerating? Fairly recently, a camcorder was found there with some footage which seems to show a man getting lost in the catacombs. He starts running, and finally drops the camera and is seen running off into the distance. The tape keeps going until it runs out, and he never comes back. What happened to that bloke? Did he die down there? Deep underground, surrounded by the bones of Ancient Parisians, their grinning skulls looking on as his torch battery faltered and died, as he began to get thirsty…hungry…down there in the dark, surrounded by bones? Who knows. All I know is, you wouldn’t get me down there for a million quid.

Ancient Ram Inn - Gloucester, England

One of the oldest Inns in Britain, the Ancient Ram Inn is a weird, ramshackle old building which has more than its share of ghostly residents - including two Incubi - sex demons, to you and me.

There is also a ghostly cat which urinates on a bed (!) and a legend about Satanic worship and child sacrifices taking place on the site. Oh, and its also built on an Ancient Pagan Burial Ground. No really.

Lucedio Abbey - Italy

The monks at Lucedio Abbey didn’t live by very Christian principles. In fact, they were excommunicated by Pope Pius VI after accounts of their atrocities reached his ears. These supposedly included devil worship, child molestation and human sacrifice. Hey, maybe they misread the ten commandments?

There is also the ‘judgement room’ where people were sentenced for crimes - sentenced to death, for the most part. In this room there is said to be a pillar which runs with water to this day - it is supposedly crying for the victims of the monks.

Or mebbe there’s a leaky pipe somewhere. I wonder if they’ve ruled that out yet.

Houska Castle - Czech Republic

Houska Castle, 47KM North of Prague in the Czech Republic, is no ordinary castle. In fact, the castle is said to be built over a bottomless pit that legend has it is the GATE TO HELL.

Consider this; people don’t build castles for fun. It’s time consuming, expensive, and requires a lot of labour by a lot of people. Castles were usually built to defend places of strategic importance, and the owners usually ensured that the castle could be held in a siege. Houska has no fortifications. The location has no strategic importance, and there is no source of water in or near the castle. In short, there’s no reason for someone to build a castle there. But someone did. And local legend has it that Houska was built to keep the denizens of hell trapped.

The bottomless pit under the Chapel at Houska gained its reputation as the gate to hell after the following incident - When construction was begun on the castle, all the inmates that were sentenced to death were offered a pardon if they consented to be lowered by rope into the hole, and report back on what they saw. When the first person was lowered in, after a few seconds he began screaming "pull me back up", and when they did he looked as if he had aged 30 years in just a few seconds. He had grown wrinkles and his hair had turned white. He was admitted to a insane asylum and died within 2 days.
    In the inner courtyard, huge winged creatures are said to circle, and a line of people in chains is said to appear walking towards the castle, with each person in the chain horribly mutilated.

Weirdly enough, no-one has excavated the floor of the Chapel to see if this bottomless pit actually exists. Maybe they’re all too scared.

Leap Castle - Republic of Ireland

Supposed to be one of the most haunted castles in the world - Leap Castle’s array of ghosts include a monk murdered by his brother while in the middle of mass, and a small, hunched creature with the stench of death about it which is said to be an elemental spirit, conjured up by witchcraft, which now haunts the castle. The elemental is said to be a force of pure malevolent energy. But it’s also supposed to resemble a sheep. Malevolent sheep - scary or silly? You decide!

There’s also an oubliette at Leap - as those of you who’ve seen the Labyrinth will know, an oubliette is from the French word ‘oublier’ - to forget. It is a ‘place to put people to forget about them’, as Hoggle quite rightly says. Basically an oubliette is a mahoosive big pit. If someone pissed you off, you just chucked them down there. The fall was enough to break some bones, but not kill you outright. So you just left the poor hapless sod to die slowly, surrounded by the remains of the unfortunates who had been thrown down there before him. When the oubliette was being cleaned out, three cartloads of bones were removed from it, along with - get this - a pocket watch from the 1840s, suggesting the oubliette was still in use at that time. Nobody has ever found out who the pocket watch belonged to - but it’s safe to see he probably doesn’t need it anymore.

I don't think I could spend the night there either, part of me wants to be cool and say I would, but, the slightest noise, like a door slamming, and I'd be running like a little girl!.

Also, I don't think I could spend the night in any old Concentration or Extermination Camps at all. The things that went on there, there have got to be more than a few ghosts there, and, no doubt, other things, which, probably, aren't all "nice".

If I had a few people with me I would love to visit and explore those places.

Alone?

NO freaking way.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

So with you on the Catacombs..very creepy.

"You fail to recognize that it matters not what someone is born, but what they grow to be." ~Albus Dumbledore

Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself. ~Harvey Fierstein

God made so many different kinds of people. Why would he allow only one way to serve him? ~Martin Buber

Alone, not a chance in hell.
    With someone, yeah I would do it
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My God is the Earth, My Bible is my heart. ~Me~

After so long of seeing these cuties, I decided to grab some! Please help it grow!!

Somewhere, between the sacred silence and sleep. . .
    *shrugs*
    I haven't found places to be any more haunted at night then they are during the day. I think people are just more acutely aware of things at night. Spirits are there all the time. Bad energies are going to be there all the time. It's only an illusion that we are safer during the day.
    So tie me to a post and block my ears
    I can see widows and orphans through my tears
    I know my call despite my faults
    And despite my growing fears

But I will hold on hope
    And I won't let you choke
    On the noose around your neck

And I'll find strength in pain
    And I will change my ways
    I'll know my name as it's called again
    ~ Mumford and Sons (The Cave)

"I have been in Sorrow's kitchen and licked out all the pots." ~ Susan Straight
    enter the sanctum

Houska Castle sounds really interesting,

I'm not easily spooked usually.

is offline I bite. But you might like it...
    Weren't the catacombs built during early Christian times when it was still a "secret religion"?
    I've been by Astara

When I was volunteering in Germany at the site of a former concentration camp, I stayed in a little house that was built for Theodore Eike, who was considered the "father of the German concentration camp." Well, there were definitely strange noises in that building, but when you go downstairs, it's always very, very dark and there are prison cells down there. I wasn't able to go down there alone... and even with others I only lasted a minute. But I did manage to sleep upstairs in the same building.
    It's up to you now if you sink or swim
    Just keep the faith and your ship will come in
    It's not so bad

Hey hey hey it's just an ordianary day
    And it's all your state of mind
    At the end of the day
    You just have to say
    it's alright

-- Great Big Sea

I studied them in my art history class, and they were, at least the ones in Rome. But the burial practices with the French onces are consistent. In a nutshell, when Christianity was an illegal religion, Christian burial was also outlawed. Because they believed in the resurection of the body, early Christians had to be buried properly, and preserved to ensure that they could rise again at the Last Judgement. Openly practicing their religion was a crime punishable by death, and so the religion was literally driven underground, and they took the bodies of their dead with them. The catacombs weren't just tombs, there was Christian worship down there, and the places are filled with the earliest Christian - which also shows Christianity to be a very eclectic faith, borrowing symbolism from other dominant religions, such as that of the Egyptians (shepherd symbolism), Mithraism, and even the cult of Bacchus (wine symbolism). The early Christians worshipped down there for years, surrounded by the preserved bodies of their dead. Sounds creepy but when you think of it, they must have poured a lot of love into that place, all their loved ones, and how much they sacrificed to keep their faith alive even as they buried their dead.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast