Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Places I would never stay the night

I'd actually be more afraid that I'd wander around and accidentaly fall down a secret passageway or just fall out of the building altogether!
    "If the stars should appear but one night every thousand years how man would marvel and stare." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Remember your spirituality" - Ganesha to a friend in a dream, 2008

just a thought on asylums.

yes, they're miserable and depressing places in my experience, but why do people think that the spirits will be any more malevolent than anyone elses.

after all, there is always a big thing made about how when you die, you are free from your illnesses. I don't beleive that ghosts can suffer from the chemical mess ups of the brain that they do in life, as it's an organ going wrong, essentially, and not a personality flaw.

but then I am married to a schizophrenic. I don't beleive his soul will still suffer that horrible illness after death.

Re: Just a thought on the asylum thing.
    Two things would be a bother other then the "actual ghosts". One, a living person is a spiritual being, and even when impaired mentally they can manipulate and manifest energy. Think about when you get into a heated argument or when you become agitated, you might not intend to raise energy but its pretty darned hard not to! Now concentrate all of that energy into a single spot, and multiply by the number of incidents that have occurred there. Then consider the situation many of these people are/were in, desperate no hope of ever getting out, and very very depressed. The energy takes no a morbid twist to it, and, if you are inclined to believe in such things, manifests or can manifest as poltergeist energy.
    Second, humans are not the only things that go bump in the night. Or at least not in my experience. Energy forms come in a multitude of shapes and sizes (trying to think of a better word then "forms"... not really coming up with any). And IF the old adage "as above..." holds true... in a literal sense... then these beings must consume something to survive. That whirling mass of negative energy that has no concept of self preservation is an excellent easy meal for such beings.
    Third (ok three things...) but its kinda a sub set of two, if these non human entities need to feed, and can feed off of human energy, it would make perfect sense for them to attach themselves to the mentally ill, because...
    1. They raise energy without knowledge intent or protection.
    2. They are already mentally unbalanced, so it is more natural for them to accept the idea of a cat/monkey thing sitting on their chest as perfectly normal.
    3. If they seek help they will not receive the proper assistance for all of their problems (either they will be treated for the metaphysical issues and not the mental, or the mental and not the metaphysical) so they can be "leftovers" for others. Group the mentally ill into a single building, surrounded with psychoactive building materials and boom, you've got yourself some rather interesting issues.

Now, yes I am sure all ailments of the flesh (including the mind) are "cured" upon leaving this corporeal form. However, every being, no matter their mental capabilities (well, I guess it does matter, a bit, you have to be able to choose, or at least act as if you are making a choice) can simply say, "Nah, I am going to stick around in this form post mortum." Sounds a bit... "Ghost Wisperery" but it is the basis for a lot of "ghost" activity.
    I believe the key to helping the mentally ill, in both the living and dead, is understanding love and compassion... And of course medication and treatment for the living...

As for the main topic:

I've lived with ghosts all my life, I see no reason to shy away from these places. But I get to bring my sage sticks!
    Last edited by Corr; July 25th, 2011 at 07:43 PM.

is offline has the right to eat chocolate
    LOL I totally forgot I had even posted this. I've not been here in a while.

I might as well add a couple while I'm here.

Bobby Mackey's Music World - have any of you guys seen the Ghost Adventures episodes (there are three I think, one was a web-exclusive) about this place? Frickin...!!! It used to be a slaughter house. And then sometime ages ago (can't remember when, centuries back I think) a young woman called Pearl was murdered there. She was pregnant with her lover's child and when he found out, he tried to perform an abortion. When that didn't work, he and his pal decided to behead the poor girl. Legend has it that the head was never found. Then in the 1930s a young lady called Johanna committed suicide there after her father killed her boyfriend. There have supposedly been possessions here, as well as full-bodied apparations and just all kinds of crazy stuff. I wouldn't even go near the place, I firmly believe there's a curse or a gateway or at any rate some shit you do not wanna be messing with there.

Waverly Hills Sanitorium - Waverly Hills, an old TB hospital in Kentucky, is infamous for having a death tunnel. That's an actual tunnel of death. That's how they moved the bodies of dead patients. 0_o I can't even remember all the ghost stories associated with Waverly, but there is one about a nurse who hung herself in room 502. There are all kinds of things but I can't remember them right now and it's 3am LOL

Trans-Allegheny Lunatic Asylum - Hell no.

I personally would not wish to spend a night in the catacombs. The thought of laying down to sleep between all those remains of the fallen seems both creepy and a little disrespectful. Furthermore the sheer darkness would only intensify the creepiness of the place. Now Leap castle is a place I've been wanting to see for some time though I would not likely desire to stay there either. The Winchester Mystery House? The same, mostly because it might be a bit frustrating to navigate though.

I'd spend the night if I wasn't alone; I couldn't do it by myself, I have a tendency to give myself the creepin' willies sometimes.
    "Knowledge without mileage is bullsh*t"... Henry Rollins

"That moral high horse is a tough perch to stay on"... Me

"PETA doesn't want stressed animals to be cruelly crowded into sheds, ankle-deep in their own crap, because they don't want any animals to die-ever-and basically think chickens should, in time, gain the right to vote. I don't want animals stressed or crowded or treated cruelly or inhumanely because that makes them probably less delicious"...Anthony Bourdain

R.I.P. MiLo
    Run free and catch the rabbits
    4/7/96 - 11/30/10

There are a few places in my own town I would never want to pend the night in. Or any time in. Like the old Vaughan street Jail downtown, the Bell Hotel (which is now converted into, get this; modern, newley renovated, apartments for the homeless. (seriously). The Lasalle Hotel, I owuld not want to be in the Museum of man and nature at night, nor the old Masonic Temple, among others.

Anywhere underground. That feeling of being enclosed/ surrounded by the earth, too eerie for me. I once went exploring in a cave, I still have major goosebumps about it.

Any place where a murder took place is one I could not stay in.The thought is just creepy...I might visit one such place if I had a reason to, but just knowing what happened there would trouble my sleep deeply.I'd probably wake up the next day as a nervous wreck and I already have trouble sleeping in unfamiliar places. Fear driven insomnia isn't my idea of a good time.
    Last edited by Riothamus; September 7th, 2011 at 08:40 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3