Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Atheist Evangelicalism

I'm of the opinion that 'Aggressive Atheism' is manufactured by those of faith who are frightened of being given an alternative.

There's nothing aggressive about the way Dawkins, Hitchens or Hawking are presenting their viewpoints whatsoever. They are simply expressing what they (and others) feel in a thoughtful and educated manner.

Perhaps I am biased because I've actually read their work and watched them speak...

TWM's Blog

Check out MWMagazine!
    MW FORUM GUIDE - Dreams and Divination + A Pagan's Life.

Quote Originally Posted by winterelf86 View Post
    You have a point there, then again I've mentioned before the "I'm right, you're wrong" attitude of anyone...be it atheist, Christian, Muslim or pagan is enough for other people to walk away and not listen to their ideas.

I can respect the views of others but I do expect it in return.
    That's what I'm talking about, whenever I see the "I'm right, you're wrong" attitude, I just walk walk away. In school a lot of my friends were Atheists (and I was one too), but, religion wasn't an issue, I never saw people go on about the "evils" of religion the way people like Hitchens, Dawkins, etc do now. It just seems a small number of Atheists have been infected with a 100% anti-religion meme.

Also, something that just annoys me is I was on Dawkins site recently, and noticed he has a campaign going telling Atheists to "come out of the closet", maybe it's just me, but, that does get to me, it's like when I hear Pagans talking about "coming out of the Broom closet", it just tries to jump on the gay bandwagon, or making themselves seem like they have to deal with the same issues we do (they don't). That's just a personal gripe, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Twinkle View Post
    David, not to be a butt, but you're using evangelical in the wrong way again.

Atheists cannot be evangelists because they do not believe in the Four Gospels or evangelical history as religious truth. They do not adhere to the Gospel, and they do not want to attempt to bring anyone to Christianity.

Wrong paradigm.

The correct work would be Fundamentalist, and possibly proselytizing - to convert people to one's opinion.

Sorry, it's just a pet peeve of mine.
    Thanks for correcting me, I'll remember that (I think I just used the word Evangelical, 'cause over here, evangelical has a connection with anyone who seeks to impose their ideas on others).

Quote Originally Posted by Njorun Alma View Post
    The rise of more "outspoken and aggressive" atheists most likely has something to do with the fact that coming out of the "skeptic" closet is getting more and more accepted, but there is still that common view that it doesn't matter which God or Goddess you believe in as long as you believe in one, because nothing is quite as bad as believing in no God at all.
    That's probably true, although, at least in the UK, or where I'm from anyway (London), I don't think being an Atheist is considered "bad" at all. It's probably different in other areas of the world, though.

The optimist in me likes to see the good in everybody, or most people anyway, and I don't like it when others are made fun of (for whatever reason - sexuality, "ethnicity", culture, religion, path, whatever, etc).
    Last edited by David19; May 11th, 2010 at 09:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWomanMonster View Post
    I'm of the opinion that 'Aggressive Atheism' is manufactured by those of faith who are frightened of being given an alternative.
    IMHO "Aggressive Atheism" is about those who demonstrate intolerance for those of faith and their beliefs.
    Αλεξανδρα Δοροθια βωνδ
    http://helleneste.wordpress.com/
    http://www.hellenion.org

I begin to sing of Pallas Athene, the glorious goddess, bright-eyed, inventive, unbending of heart, pure virgin, saviour of cities, courageous, Tritogeneia. From his awful head wise Zeus himself bare her arrayed in warlike arms of flashing gold, and awe seized all the gods as they gazed. But Athena sprang quickly from the immortal head and stood before Zeus who holds the aegis, shaking a sharp spear: great Olympus began to reel horribly at the might of the bright-eyed goddess, and earth round about cried fearfully, and the sea was moved and tossed with dark waves, while foam burst forth suddenly: the bright Son of Hyperion stopped his swift-footed horses a long while, until the maiden Pallas Athene had stripped the heavenly armour from her immortal shoulders. And wise Zeus was glad. And so hail to you, daughter of Zeus who holds the aegis!
    - THE HOMERIC HYMNS - XXVIII. TO ATHENA

Quote Originally Posted by *~Amora~* View Post
    IMHO "Aggressive Atheism" is about those who demonstrate intolerance for those of faith and their beliefs.
    Funny how people think tolerance only applies to them And that disagreeing with someone means I'm frightened of their ideas. Honestly, I could care less about what someone believes as long as it isn't harming me or those beliefs aren't be shoved down my throat.
    Last edited by winterelf86; May 11th, 2010 at 11:02 PM.

Funny how people think tolerance only applies to them
    What are you implying about me, personally?

Honestly, I could care less about what someone believes as long as it isn't harming me or those beliefs aren't be shoved down my throat.
    If so, then you're not an "Aggressive Atheist".
    Αλεξανδρα Δοροθια βωνδ

I begin to sing of Pallas Athene, the glorious goddess, bright-eyed, inventive, unbending of heart, pure virgin, saviour of cities, courageous, Tritogeneia. From his awful head wise Zeus himself bare her arrayed in warlike arms of flashing gold, and awe seized all the gods as they gazed. But Athena sprang quickly from the immortal head and stood before Zeus who holds the aegis, shaking a sharp spear: great Olympus began to reel horribly at the might of the bright-eyed goddess, and earth round about cried fearfully, and the sea was moved and tossed with dark waves, while foam burst forth suddenly: the bright Son of Hyperion stopped his swift-footed horses a long while, until the maiden Pallas Athene had stripped the heavenly armour from her immortal shoulders. And wise Zeus was glad. And so hail to you, daughter of Zeus who holds the aegis!

Quote Originally Posted by *~Amora~* View Post
    What are you implying about me, personally?

If so, then you're not an "Aggressive Atheist".
    I agree with your statement. I found it funny that there are atheists out there who whine and complain that they should be tolerated and thinking tolerance doesn't go both ways.

Sorry, I didn't mean to make it sound like I had attacked you. I agree with you

I agree with your statement. I found it funny that there are atheists out there who whine and complain that they should be tolerated and thinking tolerance doesn't go both ways.

Sorry, I didn't mean to make it sound like I had attacked you. I agree with you
    Oooh, ok, I get it. Apology accepted, no harm done. These things happen. Yes, certainly agreed, tolerance goes both ways.
    Αλεξανδρα Δοροθια βωνδ

There are fundies and extremest and overly opinionated people in every single walk of life.

Makes life interesting!

LOL, fundie atheist....give it time.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast