Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Shouldn't "I" Laugh?

Why Shouldn't "I" Laugh?

Inspired by a comment in another thread, which I have found to be all to common among the non-non-theistics (yay double negatives!).

" they seem to make fun of those who believe in God(s), or anything spiritual, in short, they just seem mean, and bitter."

Why do we have to be mean or bitter to want to laugh at religious and spiritual beliefs? Why shouldn't I laugh? Why does religion/spirituality get a free pass when most everything else does not?

If someone tells me I'm going to spend eternity in a fiery pit for eating pork, or for not worshiping some kind of invisible sky daddy - should I not laugh?

If someone informs me with all sincerity that my life and future are effected by the movement Earth compared to the light given off of giant balls of gas burning millions upon millions of km away and in most cases thousands to millions of years before I was even born. - Shouldn't I find that amusing enough to laugh?

If someone demands that I wear a special type of underwear so I can make it into an afterlife, shouldn't I nearly wet myself laughing?

If someone claims to be able know special things about my personality, inner being and health from staring into the empty space around my body... shouldn't I laugh?

If somone threatens to mumble a few words over a dead chicken and goat testicles if I do not respect their majiqual powers - shouldn't I laugh my ass off?

Why should I laugh? It's funny as hell, and I see no logical reason why these beliefs and behaviours (there are loads more) do not warrent mockery.

Our ignorance is not so vast as our failure to use what we know. ~ M. King Hubbert

Who says you can't laugh? Certainly not me.

If people are secure enough in their own beliefs, it doesn't matter what you do or don't believe, or even what you find absolutely hilarious and stupid.

*shrugs*

Tolerance (at least to me) doesn't mean that anyone has to accept anything about any religion or practice.

And tolerance goes both ways - so, you know...
    "The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common:
    instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views,
    which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that need altering."

Okay, I have no idea what thread this is an outgrowth of, with that thought in mind, I will respond ONLY to your post, because similiar posts have cropped up before. My take on it? When I was a very little girl my mommy taught me "if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all." I think it's a lesson that we've sort of forgotten in this country.

In America, all are entitled to their beliefs, and all have the right to express themselves, but with that freedom comes the caveat that the expression should be APPROPRIATE. Since MysticWicks specifically calls itself a "Pagan Community and Spiritual Sanctuary" I consider it inappropriate to mock spiritual beliefs in forums that are labeled as being spiritually focused or even neutral.

If someone comes into the atheist focused forums and starts spouting material of a spiritual bend, totally different. By all means, point and giggle to your hearts content.

One of the things I find distressing about atheism is that, in the confidence of their rationality and reasoned approach to the world, they throw everything away, they don't just dismiss the concept of spirit and the divine, but the traditions that are woven into the religion. While I am the first to admit that religion has done a lot of harm in the world in general, spiritual beliefs and traditions are a constant that binds a family and community together.

Anyway, you asked for an opinion. In the end, it's about respect, isn't it? If you're going to be scientific and rational why lower yourself to the level of mocking someone, which is the same basic thing I would say to a spiritual person. Just because you have an opinion or belief, doesn't mean you necessarily have to force it on someone at every opportunity.

You can laugh if you want. And knowing you, I'm sure you will and do. *snerk*

But.

Spirituality is a really personal thing. One of THE most personal things there is. I fully admit to being sensitive as hell, but it HURTS when someone makes fun of what I believe in. One can make the argument that if I were "truly secure" it wouldn't bother me, but like I said, faith is PERSONAL, and it's something that lives in the softest and squishiest parts of our souls. And since no one can TRULY know if they're right or wrong about what they believe, it's really tough sometimes to stand firm and go "Yes, I believe this, and I also believe you're an asshole" if someone's standing there making fun of you for it.

If someone's in your face about what they believe, then sure, make fun of them for it. But if you're just talking to someone and they go, "Yeah, I believe in _________", then it's mean-spirited to point and laugh. I've had people do that to me, and yes, I managed to stay calm (believe it or not) but I was still kinda stung.
    The possibilities are endless.

*shrugs*

If you can't take the heat, stay out of the kitchen. If you feel the need to share your beliefs, then you should be able to take it if someone laughs hysterically at them.

Once again, if you are secure in who you are and what you believe, no one has to accept it, be polite about it, or even be courteous. *It simply doesn't matter*.
    instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views,
    which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that need altering."

Quote Originally Posted by Twinkle View Post
    *shrugs*

If you can't take the heat, stay out of the kitchen. If you feel the need to share your beliefs, then you should be able to take it if someone laughs hysterically at them.

Once again, if you are secure in who you are and what you believe, no one has to accept it, be polite about it, or even be courteous. *It simply doesn't matter*.
    Having security in who you are and what you believe and being respectful of another human being are two different things. To belittle another, whether it's for their beliefs, their lifestyle, or their appearance is simply bad behavior. Excusing it by saying that people need to toughen up, and that feeling bad as a result of someone's inconsideration, is a bit like blaming the victim.

uh...you're free to laugh all you want.

As someone else said...tolerance goes both ways.

Why didn't you just address this in the thread you got this from? :/

Quote Originally Posted by OneGreyOwl View Post
    Having security in who you are and what you believe and being respectful of another human being are two different things. To belittle another, whether it's for their beliefs, their lifestyle, or their appearance is simply bad behavior. Excusing it by saying that people need to toughen up, and that feeling bad as a result of someone's inconsideration, is a bit like blaming the victim.
    I agree with this. Why should someone be able to dismiss someone else's pain on the principle that they need to toughen up?
    The possibilities are endless.

You shouldn't laugh because you may end up hurting your diaphragm.

Just sayin'

I don't know about you but I'm not stopping.

Quote Originally Posted by Cielamara View Post
    I agree with this. Why should someone be able to dismiss someone else's pain on the principle that they need to toughen up?

Because if someone was secure in their beliefs they simply wouldn't be in pain that someone else finds it a hoot.

I mean, think about it....I worship the Greek Gods. It is perfectly understandable why some people cannot even fathom the idea of it - and would laugh hysterically that I worship a God found in myths read in grade school.

So yeah...people do need to toughen up and quit crying about how much in pain they are that people laugh at them and their beliefs. If you don't want to be laughed at, don't engage in discussion about it. If you want tolerance, be open to someone else finding that aura readings is the most stupid thing ever.

No one owes you anything....especially politeness. Being rude is the least of your worries. At least you have religious tolerance and freedom.

Be glad the atheists can laugh. I certainly am. For it to be any other way would mean that someone else is telling us what we can think. Would you prefer the Thought Police?

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast