Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 141

Thread: Why Shouldn't "I" Laugh?

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    New England.
    Age
    31
    Posts
    1,510
    Quote Originally Posted by Twinkle View Post
    Because if someone was secure in their beliefs they simply wouldn't be in pain that someone else finds it a hoot.

    I mean, think about it....I worship the Greek Gods. It is perfectly understandable why some people cannot even fathom the idea of it - and would laugh hysterically that I worship a God found in myths read in grade school.

    So yeah...people do need to toughen up and quit crying about how much in pain they are that people laugh at them and their beliefs. If you don't want to be laughed at, don't engage in discussion about it. If you want tolerance, be open to someone else finding that aura readings is the most stupid thing ever.

    No one owes you anything....especially politeness. Being rude is the least of your worries. At least you have religious tolerance and freedom.


    Be glad the atheists can laugh. I certainly am. For it to be any other way would mean that someone else is telling us what we can think. Would you prefer the Thought Police?
    I'm not saying they can't laugh. Or even that they shouldn't.

    I just tend to favor a measure of compassion over a free-for-all with people's personal beliefs.
    The possibilities are endless.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    McLean, Texas
    Age
    44
    Posts
    911
    Quote Originally Posted by Cielamara View Post
    I agree with this. Why should someone be able to dismiss someone else's pain on the principle that they need to toughen up?
    In my experience there are some people in this world who have decided that any person holding a belief they happen to disagree with is not deserving of even the least bit of basic civility or common courtesy.

    Likewise there are those in this world who for whatever reason have decided that no one's feelings are due any consideration. (Often but not always there is an exception made for their own.)

    As to those beliefs of a spiritual nature that I find "laughable". Well it's like this. If you come hopping up to me all excited wanting to tell me all about Lord Bunny Fluff, and how he went into the Briar Patch for my sins, I will tell you politely no thank you I'm not interested. If you are smart you will smile wish me a good day and be on your way. If you persist? Well then you deserve anything that comes after in the way of laughter and ridicule.
    My Mind is the Master of My Reality. My Will is the Tool through which this Mastery is achieved.

    Body, Mind, Spirit, explore these topics and more at The Threefold Path

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,075
    Quote Originally Posted by Cielamara View Post
    I'm not saying they can't laugh. Or even that they shouldn't.

    I just tend to favor a measure of compassion over a free-for-all with people's personal beliefs.
    I have no compassion for idiots. Talk to me about purple chipmunks hanging out with the Druids in Atlantis....and well - you (the general you) have got it coming.

    And I don't want to hear anything about "big meanies" because of it. If you (once again, the general you) open the door by talking about it, you should be able to back up what you say. If someone asks you about the historical accuracy of Druids in Atlantis, and some sort of proof about the existence of purple chipmunks - you'd better damn well better be able to articulate it with something other than "it's pre-history".

    If not - you will get pummeled. And you will deserve it.
    "The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common:
    instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views,
    which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that need altering."


  4. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Vegabond Heart, Walkin' Boots
    Age
    45
    Posts
    14,553
    Maybe because this site IS for spiritual conversation? And you seem to have ZERO spiritual belief? ~ Shrug~

    And As I recall, USUALLY, nobody has told someone else that THEY have to do Anything. Most of the posts are people stating what THEY believe to be true. I dont recall to many time running into a thread that someone had started specifically to evangelise their beliefs upon everyone else.

    Laughing at people's spritual beliefs is rude. Pretty simple. You find it funny, good on you. So find a forum that is NOT based upon spirituality, and have a good time hypothesising about the emptiness and meaningless surrounding you.
    "There is a sort of jealousy which needs very little fire; it is hardly a passion, but a blight bred in the cloudy, damp despondency of uneasy egoism. "
    George Eliot (1819-1880)

    "... Make Sure To Build Your House Brick By Boring Brick, Or the Wolf's Gonna Blow It Down" ~ Paramore





    Me on deviantART Click Here!



    Wolfie does not PLAY games... I WIN them!

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,075
    To be fair - that's why there are path specific forums, to protect people from derision.

    I make it a point to stay out of them unless I have something productive to say, or I have a question - but at the same time - there are people that claim to be some sort of authority (as in answering questions) that are just plain giving crap information.

    Discussion is quite different from mocking someone, though...so I guess it would depend on where the mocking is taking place.
    "The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common:
    instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views,
    which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that need altering."


  6. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Vegabond Heart, Walkin' Boots
    Age
    45
    Posts
    14,553
    Quote Originally Posted by Twinkle View Post
    To be fair - that's why there are path specific forums, to protect people from derision.

    I make it a point to stay out of them unless I have something productive to say, or I have a question - but at the same time - there are people that claim to be some sort of authority (as in answering questions) that are just plain giving crap information.

    Discussion is quite different from mocking someone, though...so I guess it would depend on where the mocking is taking place.
    That is what I am getting at in my previous post. Fine if you feel a need to have a laugh. Or if you think little purple bunnies being the messenger of the toaster goddess is funny... Discuss it in a forum that is there FOR laughing at them. Find a Anti-theism forum like the Paths forum this thread is in, and keep it here. If you ARENT a Celtic Reconstructionist, and arent really even INTERESTED in knowing about Celtic Reconstructionism, Stay The F Out of the Celtic Paths forums.

    Outright mockery is against the one rule this site has always supposedly subscribed to, that being RESPECT. Making sure to follow every forum, and have a laugh at every single belief that doesnt fit the bill for you ( generalized ) is disrespectful. End of.
    "There is a sort of jealousy which needs very little fire; it is hardly a passion, but a blight bred in the cloudy, damp despondency of uneasy egoism. "
    George Eliot (1819-1880)

    "... Make Sure To Build Your House Brick By Boring Brick, Or the Wolf's Gonna Blow It Down" ~ Paramore





    Me on deviantART Click Here!



    Wolfie does not PLAY games... I WIN them!

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    17,513
    Quote Originally Posted by Cielamara View Post
    You can laugh if you want. And knowing you, I'm sure you will and do. *snerk*

    But.

    Spirituality is a really personal thing. One of THE most personal things there is. I fully admit to being sensitive as hell, but it HURTS when someone makes fun of what I believe in. One can make the argument that if I were "truly secure" it wouldn't bother me, but like I said, faith is PERSONAL, and it's something that lives in the softest and squishiest parts of our souls. And since no one can TRULY know if they're right or wrong about what they believe, it's really tough sometimes to stand firm and go "Yes, I believe this, and I also believe you're an asshole" if someone's standing there making fun of you for it.

    If someone's in your face about what they believe, then sure, make fun of them for it. But if you're just talking to someone and they go, "Yeah, I believe in _________", then it's mean-spirited to point and laugh. I've had people do that to me, and yes, I managed to stay calm (believe it or not) but I was still kinda stung.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cielamara View Post
    I'm not saying they can't laugh. Or even that they shouldn't.

    I just tend to favor a measure of compassion over a free-for-all with people's personal beliefs.
    QFT, you can criticize a belief system, or a path (or really anything), but, you should also be considerate to that persons feelings, you shouldn't make them feel worthless (e.g. imagine someone, who perhaps was feeling upset about something, had some type of spiritual, or transcendant, experience, or even just a vague feeling (be it that they were watched over, whatever), this helped cheer them up, they then tell someone, that person then laughs and makes them feel like they did before, that's just not good, IMO).

    IMO, people, Theistic, Non-Theistic, whatever label you adhere too, should act with respect towards others (and, in another sense, towards other beings - animals, the earth, etc).

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Georgia mountians
    Age
    37
    Posts
    7,311
    For the record I laughed my ass off reading the OP's post.

    If someone laughs or criticizes me for being a non-theist or not spiritual (such as saying being non-spiritual means I hypthosize about the meaningless and emptiness of the world - in fact its quite the opposite), I actually laugh at them for it - and can back up my thoughts with well thought out logical reasoning for my world viewpoint. It doesn't bother me in the slightest, in fact quite amusing.

    However im not one to go around being rude to every person I meet. It also doesn't have to be context of religious beliefs but basic manners in general. I agree the world owes you *nothing* but that doesn't mean you should go around being a jerk or rude. Insecurity is a two way street in this regard - one being offended by someone critizing your belief - two bringing someone down because of it when they werent being an ass to you; meaning it makes you feel better to look down on everyone else and use insults to fill your own insecurities (*read catcher in the rye).

    If someone inquires my thoughts I will share them - if you do that you are opening yourself to criticism.

    In short no there is no reason for you to not laugh, but their is no reason to be a complete asshole to peoples faces because they are religious. If you want to be able to socialize and make friends with people that don't hold your own belief (or rather non-belief) that would be a reason to be courteous and respectful as opposed to simply blowing them off and laughing at what they believe. If you don't think that would be benificial to you - by all means; keep laughing outward at religious people that you encounter.
    Last edited by Vampiel; May 11th, 2010 at 10:07 PM.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    377
    Quote Originally Posted by Twinkle View Post
    I have no compassion for idiots. Talk to me about purple chipmunks hanging out with the Druids in Atlantis....and well - you (the general you) have got it coming.

    And I don't want to hear anything about "big meanies" because of it. If you (once again, the general you) open the door by talking about it, you should be able to back up what you say. If someone asks you about the historical accuracy of Druids in Atlantis, and some sort of proof about the existence of purple chipmunks - you'd better damn well better be able to articulate it with something other than "it's pre-history".

    If not - you will get pummeled. And you will deserve it.
    Well, to be absolutely honest, while I've had no interactions with Atlantean druids or purple chipmunks specifically, I have done journeys/pathworkings and received information from several mythic creatures, including dragons and centaurs. While what they had to teach me wasn't earth shattering, it was pertinent and accurate for me.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    michigan
    Age
    44
    Posts
    1,297
    You have to laugh.It's hard not to laugh when an otherwise sane adult comes at you with a straight face and says they talk to angels and what not. They expect you to go along for the ride and not say anything.And if you express any sort of disagreement all of sudden you are attacking there beliefs.
    And since there is so much good material you can't help but sit back and enjoy the show.Each belief system has it's own brand of humor. For example you have Islam the perpetual straight man. They are way to serious and that is understatement. Just google boob quake. The muslim guy that started all of that was dead serious when he said that women in revealing clothes cause earthquakes. How can you not laugh at that. And then there is the whole christian creationist thing.Then Scientology ,that's like what would have happen of George Lucas or Gene Roddenberry had decided not to make movies but start a religion.
    Then you have the pagan new age crystal warriors and the list goes on and on.
    And the king of them all the Church of the Subgenius just look at Bob's smiling face you know you want in on the joke.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •