Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Shouldn't "I" Laugh?

is offline I was not born under a rhyming planet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cielamara View Post
    Those people do indeed deserve to be laughed at. I guess for me the line comes in when people are being judgmental assholes. Once that line is crossed, game on.

Well, depends, again. What do you consider to be "shoving purple unicorngod in your face"? Like, if we were sitting there having a beer and you were like "I'm ______(whatever your belief is), this is what I believe" and I said, "Oh, okay. Well, I happen to believe in a purple unicorngod. I know, sounds crazy, but I had a vision a couple years ago..." would THAT offend you? It wouldn't offend me if the situation were reversed, but I'm pretty easygoing about that sort of thing.

If someone isn't showing you respect, then I fully support your right to laugh at them. But if someone's just meandering along and their beliefs came up in conversation--and not in a "LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT JESUS" sort of way--and you mocked them...I'd be a little disappointed in you. You'd be within your right to mock them, sure...I'd be in my right to be sad that you were being an asshole.
    I'm a Swede. I'm suffer from an extreme case of politeness and would never mock someone for something that came out and was mentioned and then left alone in conversation. I've no problem with people who might mention they're Christian if we're talking about anything related to it and then not mention it again.

I will laugh at people who will, for example say "You don't believe in Jeeeeesus!? You have to believe in Jeeeesus, Jeeeesus believes in you, He looooooves you. Jeeeesus doesn't want you to burn in hell!" or
    "No, I cannot possibly be friends with her! Her starsign clashes horribly with mine... and furthermore your husband will only cause you grief, I cannot believe you married a Gemini!".

Why? Because it's more polite than punching them in the face...

Conversations and even friendships can go on for years without religious convictions being mentioned though. I still don't know IF my best friend even is religious in some way, and I don't think he knows about what I might believe and/or not believe in either.
    It's not something that is THAT important to me and the people I chose to have around me.
    My mother frowns and spits at religion, my dad partakes in ceremonies with a childlike interest... sort of how a child might play with a new toy... and I occasionally laugh, and debate.
    (Mother Atheist, father Agnostic/Soft Atheist, like over 50% of the Swedish population)

Laughing at things that offend, is disrespectful and even frikkin' scary at times is a hell of a lot better than what most religious people do which is bitch, moan, harass and take their ball and go home.
    If more people laughed in these situations things would be a whole lot better in the world.
    Previously known as Njorun Alma

"A mind of the calibre of mine cannot derive its nutriment from cows." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by Njorun Alma View Post
    I will laugh at people who will, for example say "You don't believe in Jeeeeesus!? You have to believe in Jeeeesus, Jeeeesus believes in you, He looooooves you. Jeeeesus doesn't want you to burn in hell!" or
    Excuse me. I need to pause a moment here to stop laughing. I do not know why that was so funny, but it was. Nicely done.

"No, I cannot possibly be friends with her! Her starsign clashes horribly with mine... and furthermore your husband will only cause you grief, I cannot believe you married a Gemini!".
    *snort*

Okay. I've studied astrology for a longass time. I even did Iggy's chart way back in the day. It's fun to me. I like seeing patterns, and I like the challenge of combining the crazy thing that is astrology with intuition. But anyone who says "OMG IGGY IS A GEMINI AND YOU'RE A CANCER YOU'RE GOING TO MAKE EACH OTHER NUTS" is a grade-A moron. If ONLY because there's so much more to it than that, and obviously for more reasons besides. (I do not believe we are who we are because of the stars...I just think astrology can draw maps for how we MIGHT be.)

Why? Because it's more polite than punching them in the face...
    If someone said something like that for me and I wasn't in the mood to completely own them with superior astrological information, I'd probably just beam and pull out that most beloved of Southern expressions: "Well, bless your heart [for worrying]". Blessing people's hearts always confuses them.

Conversations and even friendships can go on for years without religious convictions being mentioned though. I still don't know IF my best friend even is religious in some way, and I don't think he knows about what I might believe and/or not believe in either.
    It's not something that is THAT important to me and the people I chose to have around me.
    I know the religious beliefs of a lot of the people around me. It comes up periodically. I suspect, though, that this is simply because of where I was raised. Religion permeates the culture here in the Deep South. My religious upbringing was pretty mild, all things considered, and yet I look around me and see that a lot of the staples of Southern culture have their roots in the Christian church in one way or another. Not necessarily the FAITH, but the church itself is a cultural center. I have gone away from that, obviously, but it's still there, in my culture, and as a result...religion appears in our conversations more than it might for you.

My mother frowns and spits at religion, my dad partakes in ceremonies with a childlike interest... sort of how a child might play with a new toy... and I occasionally laugh, and debate.
    (Mother Atheist, father Agnostic/Soft Atheist, like over 50% of the Swedish population)
    I have heard this about you Swedes, and I've been told it's true of much of Scandinavia in general. I've personally never really experienced anything like that. Even when I went up north last summer I just replaced one saturating religion for another--Christianity for Judaism.

Laughing at things that offend, is disrespectful and even frikkin' scary at times is a hell of a lot better than what most religious people do which is bitch, moan, harass and take their ball and go home.
    If more people laughed in these situations things would be a whole lot better in the world.
    I believe I agree with you.
    The possibilities are endless.

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite Grey View Post
    He's brother (Peter) is basically the polar opposite to Christopher, you can see their dynamic in this debate. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmnVQLOd9Lg
    Thanks for the video, I didn't know he had a brother.

Martin Luther King Jr had enormous secular backing... do you know the leader's names? I bet you don't.
    I also can't name any of his large Jewish supporters either.

The Dalai Lama? Which one? What have any of them really done that was greater than any other leader?
    The current one. I don't think anyone can find fault with someone who dedicates their life to compassion and tolerance.

In some ways he was.
    Then he was the greatest deluded person, and human being then, whose dream we haven't lived up too yet.

A deist is indistinguishable from an atheist in any practical sense.
    It's still technically a God, though, and, it still implies a belief in intelligent design (personally, I'm agnostic about the idea of intelligent design).

It's matter of why? Why should I respect someone's beliefs when they're usually based on nothing more than a warm fuzzy feeling? I could say such beliefs a pathetic...
    If it makes them happy, why can't you respect the path someone follows?.

Something I read recently was from a Jewish Philosopher, it may have been Abraham Joshua Heschel, but, what he was asked was, would the world be better off with one religion, and, he said, ask if the world would be better with one form of art. That's the way I look at religion, and different paths, the world would be boring if the path everyone travelled in life was the same, if everyone was an Atheist, or a Christian, or a Buddhist, or a Wiccan, or whatever. IMO, it doesn't so much matter whether there are deities or not, that's for you to decide, personally (without interference from others), but, I don't like the idea of a world without different paths in life.

Quote Originally Posted by David19 View Post
    If it makes them happy, why can't you respect the path someone follows?.
    QFT.

Infinite Grey, you wanted a simple reason why you should not laugh at another's beliefs, even if you consider them laughable, David has provided you with a very eloquent answer to your question.

I will condense it even further, since you have already said that "being respectful of another" isn't a good enough reason for you not to mock their beliefs.

Try this on for size, IG: This life is already hard enough for most of us without having something that is as intrinsically important as our spirituality urinated on by someone who doesn't give a flying frig about our feelings. If that's not a good enough reason for you, go eff yourself, because what that makes you is not a rational, non theist, but an inconsiderate rectum.

You cannot embrace spirituality, but you take pleasure in disrespecting someone who does? And in this you are an evolved being?! The reality is, just because we haven't gotten a postcard back from a dead person, or some divine being hasnít materialized to perform an inarguable miracle, doesn't mean there isn't a reality beyond that which we can perceive with our five senses. The realm of spirit is potentially every bit as vast as the universe, meaning, infinite. Guess what? There are virtually no scientists out there who are willing to say that lack of contact precludes the existence of other intelligent life. Get my drift?

Infinite. In all honesty, why do you find a need to aggravate and agitate people in a spiritual SANCTUARY? Is there some driving need within you to argue and fight with everyone? What is lacking in your life to create such hostility and judgment within you?

I have to ask, what is the purpose of this post besides belittling and hurting people? How will this enrich your life? Why do you care what other people believe? how are you so hurt and flawed socially that this behavior comes across as ok? And for everyone else who thinks we should all 'toughen up', if that is what humanity has come to, that people can no longer believe and practice what they want without being mocked and made fun of, I hope each and every one of us is wiped off the face of the earth. To be honest, I am beginning to hate this site. It's not a spiritual sanctuary as it claims to be. It is a site to create conflict and mockery. I joined it thinking I could talk and share with like minded people openly. But come to find out it's just a bunch of atheists who lure you in to join under a banner of sanctuary then sit around laughing and mocking peoples beliefs. It's sad that there can be no sanctuary for anyone anymore.
    Last edited by The RedLion; May 13th, 2010 at 11:32 PM.

What does this mean to you?
    'This forum is absolutely not for heated debate or jokes. If that is your intention go to the Theology forum or Just Silly. The Respect rule is heavily applied in this forum and subforums contained within. This is non-negotiable. This is the "safe place" to talk about your beliefs.'

And your an administrator?

I feel like I have to step in and say a few things here. First Infinite Grey is not an administrator. I'm confused by your final post, The RedLion and wanted to clarify that point.

Secondly, this site was not created by atheists. It was founded in 2001 by Mol (someone correct me if I'm wrong) to bring like minded people together. Over the past 10 years the site has evolved and gone through many changes.

Many people have come and gone. Lately there have been a great deal of people who have found that MW is no longer to their liking. Many of them have gone quietly, some have not. If anyone feels MW has gone downhill, I have advised them to take a break, get some air, and go elsewhere until (hopefully) the forum flows into a more likable environment once again. This is one of the reasons I myself have spent less time here at MW lately. I've needed a breather. Maybe you would enjoy doing the same? Either way unnecessary drama does not help clear the environment here.

I do not agree with the original intent of this thread, nor do I agree with what it has become. Regardless that is no reason to make unfounded remarks and judgements about this site and what it was founded upon.

As GEBS has said many times, MW is a sanctuary for theist and non-theist a like. It is no longer a site specific to pagan paths and spirituality.

That is all.

is offline Don't call down the Thunder

Admin Mode

information

Notice

Closed pending admin discussion

*~*~*~*~**~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Resident Beotch

It seems some folks confuse "secrets" with Mysteries.
    The Mysteries aren't secret.
    They are there for whoever wishes to seek them out.
    There just aren't any shortcuts.

That's the Secret.

Don't ask Life to polish you into a jewel and then complain about all the rough treatment!

If you're talking shit behind my back - then you're close enough to kiss my ass.

admin

Admin Mode

Quote Originally Posted by The RedLion View Post
    What does this mean to you?
    'This forum is absolutely not for heated debate or jokes. If that is your intention go to the Theology forum or Just Silly. The Respect rule is heavily applied in this forum and subforums contained within. This is non-negotiable. This is the "safe place" to talk about your beliefs.'

And your an administrator?

To his Administrator and yours it means that he cannot go into a theistic subforum and bash their beiefs. It also means that you cannot go into the non-theistic forum and bash him for his.

Quote Originally Posted by The RedLion View Post
    To be honest, I am beginning to hate this site. It's not a spiritual sanctuary as it claims to be.
    If you hate this site visit Google or Bing or any other search engine and search for something more suited to you. Click the little x in the corner and move on. If, instead, you can bring yourself to realize that when we say Sanctuary we mean it for everyone, not just those that think the way you do, feel free to stay and learn how we work.

Iggy and all the other Atheists that are members here are just as welcome to post their thoughts in their path section as you are in yours. If you cannot handle that we will gladly block your access to that section of the forum so that you don't have to see discussions like this one. If you choose to keep your access then you must know that Iggy is as protected as anyone else here - including you.

I have not seen the post or thread that began this discussion so if I am missing something please feel free to PM me with details. From what I see here Iggy has done nothing wrong.

I am re-opening this thread and moving it back to the original forum. Anyone that would prefer to be removed from the non-theistic forum please let an admin know.

RedLion, please keep in mind that forum rules state to contact an admin in private if you have any questions or comments about this post. Responding to admin modes in public is not allowed.

Support MW by subscribing

We don't exist without your help.

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast