Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Shouldn't "I" Laugh?

Quote Originally Posted by OneGreyOwl View Post
    Try this on for size, IG: This life is already hard enough for most of us without having something that is as intrinsically important as our spirituality urinated on by someone who doesn't give a flying frig about our feelings. If that's not a good enough reason for you, go eff yourself, because what that makes you is not a rational, non theist, but an inconsiderate rectum.

My SIL last summer built a stone garden in her grandmas yard. Grandma loved the idea.
    SIL chose to add a little stone tower in its center. It look really pretty and cool!

We teased SIL that it was her zen tower and she laughed and we were all happy with the results of grandmas new stone garden.

Uncle Fundie came along. He is an evangilistic Fundie from hell.
    SIL got such a loud fire and brimstone lecture about the house she built (the stone tower) thats obvisously witch craft and a place for the devil himself to reside.
    I'm sorry but the stuff he said about satins house and how all of us were devil worshipers and witches, because we supported SIL in making of her gift for grandma, made us crack up!!
    Even grandma ended up laughing her wonderful heart out.

I'm sorry but the devil taking up residency in grandmas rocks was just to much to not laugh till the cows come home.

Needless to say Uncle Fundie prays alot more these days. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Shanti View Post
    My SIL last summer built a stone garden in her grandmas yard. Grandma loved the idea.
    SIL chose to add a little stone tower in its center. It look really pretty and cool!

We teased SIL that it was her zen tower and she laughed and we were all happy with the results of grandmas new stone garden.

Uncle Fundie came along. He is an evangilistic Fundie from hell.
    SIL got such a loud fire and brimstone lecture about the house she built (the stone tower) thats obvisously witch craft and a place for the devil himself to reside.
    I'm sorry but the stuff he said about satins house and how all of us were devil worshipers and witches, because we supported SIL in making of her gift for grandma, made us crack up!!
    Even grandma ended up laughing her wonderful heart out.

I'm sorry but the devil taking up residency in grandmas rocks was just to much to not laugh till the cows come home.

Needless to say Uncle Fundie prays alot more these days. LOL

Cute story

I remember fishing with my father in law, and he and I were having a deep talk about my relationship with SS and life. He sighed and looked at me very concerned suddenly and said to me

"I like you Nick, you're a great guy, it is a shame you're going to hell."

I couldn't help but laugh, it was so sincere but I just couldn't help myself.

Today, on this Earth, tomorrow that may change
    I have been thinking about this for a couple of hours now, and the only reason I can come up with for not laughing at someone's religious beliefs is a sense of compassion for a specific person at that time and place.

Kind of like not laughing at a four-year-old describing how the space shuttle gets to the space station. You might correct some of the conceptions they would understand, but you wouldn't laugh at them. (And they might know more about that than I do, anyway!)

Glo
    Never too old to explore!!!!

Where am I? Here

What am I doing? Whatever I choose.

Why am I doing it? Because I want to.

Live to love
    but do
    not be a rug--Me

Quote Originally Posted by Sharedaughter View Post
    I have been thinking about this for a couple of hours now, and the only reason I can come up with for not laughing at someone's religious beliefs is a sense of compassion for a specific person at that time and place.

Kind of like not laughing at a four-year-old describing how the space shuttle gets to the space station. You might correct some of the conceptions they would understand, but you wouldn't laugh at them. (And they might know more about that than I do, anyway!)

Glo
    I laugh at my kids! I also teach them to laugh at themselves too and at me and so on and to be more layed back than uptight.

Laughing is better IMO, than getting all stressed out over words.

Somebody insults you, laugh. Not only does the insult thus back fire, you know what you know and their opinion is quite unless in your reality. So why get upset? Laughter is healthier!
    It also helps prevent holding grudges.

Based off the original post, I'd laugh too. One's beliefs are personal, and if anyone is so determined as to try to "force" someone else to believe their path, then they can go away. I laugh at quite a few religious people I know, because of the way the tell me I'm going to Hell, a sinner, that I have to follow the word of man that's been rewritten over and over and over and... No thanks.

I have a very dear friend, who thinks I'm crazy. He once told me he wished that magic and deities were real, but that he just couldn't rationalize it. However, it's starting to look like my beliefs of these things is a lot firmer then his belief that they don't exist. He asks questions, shakes his head, and yes, laughs at me frequently. <3 It doesn't bother me in the least.
    Check out my shop for a variety of jewelry, salves, crafts, and more: www.divineessencecreations.com

Find me on Facebook for updates, coupons, and discussions on products that you want to see: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Divine...85628011493663

I was under the impression we learned not to make fun of people in grade school. I figured it would reflect one's maturity level. But then again there are those who cannot grasp basic human rules. People who cannot understand the emotions of others. So you can laugh all you want, but I fear it might make you look ignorant and childish with no real concept of humanity. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by The RedLion View Post
    I was under the impression we learned not to make fun of people in grade school. I figured it would reflect one's maturity level. But then again there are those who cannot grasp basic human rules. People who cannot understand the emotions of others. So you can laugh all you want, but I fear it might make you look ignorant and childish with no real concept of humanity. Just a thought.
    Making fun of and laughing instead of being offended or because something is funny are different things. If one doesn't know the differences, they have a problem.

My kids grow up fine in their adjustment in society as I have 3 30+ yr olds and 2 young ones at home.
    My kids also have great coping skills. Something that's sorely lacking these days.

And human rules. Who's?
    If you go by Uncle Fundie's they are very different than most I would hope.

Are we being serious? Did you read the first post here? He is talking about laughing in someones face when they STATE not FORCE their beliefs. So yes, it is childish. And if you can't see that then I would hope you never have the pleasure to laugh in my face about my beliefs. Seriously, are we kidding? Really? Did I miss the punch line? Are people saying it's ok to laugh in the face of someone based on their beliefs? And again, I'm not referring to the cute little stories about people saying you are going to hell. I'm talking about the people who state what they believe and then you laugh at them, to their face, like a child. Just so we are clear, this is a joke, correct?

I laugh at my kids! I also teach them to laugh at themselves too and at me and so on and to be more layed back than uptight.

Laughing is better IMO, than getting all stressed out over words.

Somebody insults you, laugh. Not only does the insult thus back fire, you know what you know and their opinion is quite unless in your reality. So why get upset? Laughter is healthier!
    It also helps prevent holding grudges.
    I kind of agree with you and kind of disagree with you. I don't really like the insinuation that hurt feelings are all a matter of self-discipline. I think it is possible to control how you react to something--i.e., responding in a mature fashion, or not--but I do not think one can necessarily control how you feel about something.

Making fun of and laughing instead of being offended or because something is funny are different things. If one doesn't know the differences, they have a problem.
    To the person who's being laughed at, it doesn't make a damn bit of difference, I'd say.
    The possibilities are endless.

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast