Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 141

Thread: Why Shouldn't "I" Laugh?

  1. #51
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Age
    31
    Posts
    6,224
    Quote Originally Posted by Cielamara View Post

    To the person who's being laughed at, it doesn't make a damn bit of difference, I'd say.
    Um, what?

    If I bounce off of a wall at work like an idiot (normal occurrence), and someone laughs, I don't really care.

    If a something falls off the steel or a pallet, and gives me a concussion, and people laugh, I'd be angry.

    My beliefs are strictly personal. If I tell someone that they're going to be struck down by my patron because they were rude to me, I'd expect them to laugh at me. If I share my beliefs because someone asks, and they laugh at me, I shrug. Really, I'm quite secure enough in what I believe, to not *need* anyone else to take me seriously.
    Check out my shop for a variety of jewelry, salves, crafts, and more: www.divineessencecreations.com

    Find me on Facebook for updates, coupons, and discussions on products that you want to see: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Divine...85628011493663

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    New England.
    Age
    31
    Posts
    1,510
    Quote Originally Posted by RoseKitten View Post
    Um, what?

    If I bounce off of a wall at work like an idiot (normal occurrence), and someone laughs, I don't really care.

    If a something falls off the steel or a pallet, and gives me a concussion, and people laugh, I'd be angry.
    I mean this:

    If someone is laughing at me, whether they're TRYING to be malicious or not, it still stings a little. Intent doesn't always make things better.

    I'm not entirely sure what you're getting at.
    The possibilities are endless.

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Georgia mountians
    Age
    38
    Posts
    7,311
    Quote Originally Posted by The RedLion View Post
    I was under the impression we learned not to make fun of people in grade school.
    *shrugs*

    I was under the impression we learned not to believe in imaginary friends in grade school.

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Age
    31
    Posts
    6,224
    Quote Originally Posted by Cielamara View Post
    I mean this:

    If someone is laughing at me, whether they're TRYING to be malicious or not, it still stings a little. Intent doesn't always make things better.

    I'm not entirely sure what you're getting at.
    What I'm getting at, is that the situation, and *why* the person is laughing, is important. It matters. You stated that it didn't. It doesn't bother me very often if I'm laughed at. Few exceptions include when I'm actually hurt. Also, most of the people I encounter, are respectful, even when laughing at me. They are laughing because they don't believe as I do, and find it silly. I find their beliefs silly. We laugh, and move on. No hurt feelings. I don't get why it's such a big deal.

    However, I will say that I do find it rude to have absolutely no respect for a persons thoughts, opinions, etc. simply because they are religious. My religious views don't effect any other views I have, such as politics, science, etc. I think it goes to far to write someone off as an idiot, has been implied by others in this thread, simply because they have faith in something that can't be proven via science. Even with that stated, science is still very limited, and everything we have is all theory. Granted, a lot of good theory, but even good theories change, simply because we gain more knowledge.
    Last edited by RoseKitten; May 14th, 2010 at 08:51 PM.
    Check out my shop for a variety of jewelry, salves, crafts, and more: www.divineessencecreations.com

    Find me on Facebook for updates, coupons, and discussions on products that you want to see: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Divine...85628011493663

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    17,513
    Quote Originally Posted by OneGreyOwl View Post
    QFT.

    Infinite Grey, you wanted a simple reason why you should not laugh at another's beliefs, even if you consider them laughable, David has provided you with a very eloquent answer to your question.

    I will condense it even further, since you have already said that "being respectful of another" isn't a good enough reason for you not to mock their beliefs.

    Try this on for size, IG: This life is already hard enough for most of us without having something that is as intrinsically important as our spirituality urinated on by someone who doesn't give a flying frig about our feelings. If that's not a good enough reason for you, go eff yourself, because what that makes you is not a rational, non theist, but an inconsiderate rectum.

    You cannot embrace spirituality, but you take pleasure in disrespecting someone who does? And in this you are an evolved being?! The reality is, just because we haven't gotten a postcard back from a dead person, or some divine being hasnít materialized to perform an inarguable miracle, doesn't mean there isn't a reality beyond that which we can perceive with our five senses. The realm of spirit is potentially every bit as vast as the universe, meaning, infinite. Guess what? There are virtually no scientists out there who are willing to say that lack of contact precludes the existence of other intelligent life. Get my drift?
    QFT, personally, I see anyone who laughs another, Theist or Non-Theist, it doesn't matter, as retarded in some way, I mean, seriously, verbally attacking others and making people feel bad or, even making them feel less confident is something 12 year olds do, if you get an adult who does it, then, there is something mentally wrong with them.

    Quote Originally Posted by The RedLion View Post
    Infinite. In all honesty, why do you find a need to aggravate and agitate people in a spiritual SANCTUARY? Is there some driving need within you to argue and fight with everyone? What is lacking in your life to create such hostility and judgment within you?
    To be fair, Non-Theists can be just as Spiritual as Theists, so, Non-Theists should be welcome here (and they are), I just think people need to respect each others views, and not make others feel bad.

    Maybe some of the people who say "people should make fun of others" say it 'cause they've always had self-confidence, maybe they just don't have any empathy with others at all, or have never been made to feel bad about things that are personal to them.

    Quote Originally Posted by The RedLion View Post
    I have to ask, what is the purpose of this post besides belittling and hurting people? How will this enrich your life? Why do you care what other people believe? how are you so hurt and flawed socially that this behavior comes across as ok? And for everyone else who thinks we should all 'toughen up', if that is what humanity has come to, that people can no longer believe and practice what they want without being mocked and made fun of, I hope each and every one of us is wiped off the face of the earth. To be honest, I am beginning to hate this site. It's not a spiritual sanctuary as it claims to be. It is a site to create conflict and mockery. I joined it thinking I could talk and share with like minded people openly. But come to find out it's just a bunch of atheists who lure you in to join under a banner of sanctuary then sit around laughing and mocking peoples beliefs. It's sad that there can be no sanctuary for anyone anymore.
    I don't think that, and I hope you don't leave, as I like your posts. I think a lot of the mockery that happens (and it's not just due to Atheists) is just people have been brought up with a dominating model (it infests our culture - someone has to be wrong for you to be right, someone has to feel bad for you to feel good, etc).

    Quote Originally Posted by Vampiel View Post
    So, if a kid was being bullied, you'd just go "toughen up", or if an LGBT teenager, or person, was being insulted all the time, you'd just say "that's life, suck it up"?.

    Quote Originally Posted by Vampiel View Post
    *shrugs*

    I was under the impression we learned not to believe in imaginary friends in grade school.
    I thought living in the 21st century, people would have started to respect differences, I guess, we're a long way off from Martin Luther King's dream.

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    17,513
    Quote Originally Posted by RoseKitten View Post
    However, I will say that I do find it rude to have absolutely no respect for a persons thoughts, opinions, etc. simply because they are religious. My religious views don't effect any other views I have, such as politics, science, etc. I think it goes to far to write someone off as an idiot, has been implied by others in this thread, simply because they have faith in something that can't be proven via science. Even with that stated, science is still very limited, and everything we have is all theory. Granted, a lot of good theory, but even good theories change, simply because we gain more knowledge.
    QFT, especially the part I bolded, but, some people like Dawkins, and other imperialist Atheists (and they are imperialist, anyone who wants to impose a Western model of Atheism, influenced by Western science on the whole world is an imperialist, whether you're Theist or Non-Theist) seem to hate liberal people. They go "you must choose a side", "Agnostics are just being stupid" (Socrates was wise enough to say he knew nothing), liberals aren't truly religious (apparantly, anyone who's religious must be conservative, it's funny, I wonder why no American Atheist is willing to also say a "true" American must be fat, stupid, and ignorant and racist towards people of darker skin (Hispanics/Mexicans, Arabs, etc), I mean, that is the stereotype, it must be true, right?)).

    Before anyone does react to that, you're probably can tell I'm being sarcastic there, to show the hypocrisy of some people.

    Anyway, back to the original topic, I tend to think it's a immature thing that Western Atheists have, there are many Buddhists who are Non-Theist, but, are respectful to other religions, and everyone/thing.

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    17,513
    Quote Originally Posted by Shanti View Post
    Somebody insults you, laugh. Not only does the insult thus back fire, you know what you know and their opinion is quite unless in your reality. So why get upset? Laughter is healthier!
    It also helps prevent holding grudges.
    That is a good attitude to have, I guess, it's just sometimes, I do takes things personally, even if I don't want myself too, I don't like to see others get their feelings hurt, I don't like seeing other people made to feel worthless, or like they're "stupid" (whether it's for believing in a God, or Gods, magic, whatever, or just for being LGBT). Maybe I need to build up my ego a bit (and then, ironically, if I pursue Buddhism more, minimise it!), but, I just don't like seeing other people insulted or hurt in anyway, it's why I don't like it when people try and get at Christians by saying Jesus didn't exist (which no professional historian takes seriously at all, there's a reason the only ones who do are internet sites, and books that sell in Mind/Body/Spirit or "Alternative History" sections of bookstores. There's no reason for it at all (no good reason anyway).

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    New England.
    Age
    31
    Posts
    1,510
    Quote Originally Posted by RoseKitten View Post
    What I'm getting at, is that the situation, and *why* the person is laughing, is important. It matters. You stated that it didn't. It doesn't bother me very often if I'm laughed at. Few exceptions include when I'm actually hurt. Also, most of the people I encounter, are respectful, even when laughing at me. They are laughing because they don't believe as I do, and find it silly. I find their beliefs silly. We laugh, and move on. No hurt feelings. I don't get why it's such a big deal.
    It's important, but to an extent. However, there's a fine line there. People often try to get away with saying horrible things on the pretense that it's "just a JOKE, guize!". Doesn't matter. You still said something horrible. In this case, because laughing at someone doesn't fully equal saying something horrible, I'll allow that intent does matter, but again, only to an extent. If you hurt someone's feelings, you hurt someone's feelings.

    However, I will say that I do find it rude to have absolutely no respect for a persons thoughts, opinions, etc. simply because they are religious. My religious views don't effect any other views I have, such as politics, science, etc. I think it goes to far to write someone off as an idiot, has been implied by others in this thread, simply because they have faith in something that can't be proven via science. Even with that stated, science is still very limited, and everything we have is all theory. Granted, a lot of good theory, but even good theories change, simply because we gain more knowledge.
    I agree wholeheartedly.

    I'm a scientist. Well, a scientist in training, I'm studying microbiology. And I am very pro-science. I am rabidly pro-vaccines, an evolutionist, etc, etc. But to me, science and faith can coexist pretty peacefully. Many of my biology profs feel the same way. Just because we can't prove what we believe is real, doesn't mean it isn't.
    The possibilities are endless.

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Georgia mountians
    Age
    38
    Posts
    7,311
    Quote Originally Posted by David19 View Post
    So, if a kid was being bullied, you'd just go "toughen up", or if an LGBT teenager, or person, was being insulted all the time, you'd just say "that's life, suck it up"?.
    I never suggested that, you took that the wrong way, I was laughing at the insults used nothing more.

    I thought living in the 21st century, people would have started to respect differences, I guess, we're a long way off from Martin Luther King's dream.
    What does this have anything to do with MLK? Many don't deserve my respect but that doesn't mean I can't be accepting of them as long as they aren't harmful to others.

    Respect is earned not given. I don't see why anyone should respect something they believe equates to imaginary friends, santa clause, the god of gadu from book of rasha, or pick your poison. I think it's a part of the human condition to want to believe and find meaning to their life, which is why there are so many different religions yet *theirs* is the correct one.

    So pick your poison, roll with it, but don't expect me to change my belief that you might as well believe in santa clause and pray to snail of the sea that provides it salt - and I have no respect for that. Sorry I cannot respect that, but I accept that people are different, if I where to go around putting everyone down all the time it wouldn't be helpful to me and rude.

    One of my best friends is Christian and we joke around about it all the time. He busts my balls about being an atheist and I make fun of his invisible sky daddy. Seriously it does not matter what you believe if your secure in it you can make fun of yourself for it.

    I agree with Rosekitten. I don't write people off if they are religous as ive personally learned a lot from people that are. There are other ways to earn respect than what you believe.

    I would respect a soldier that runs through a hail of bullets to save a kid caught in the crossfire thats a die hard Christian a hell of a lot more than an atheist that makes fun of peoples religous beliefs all the time.
    Last edited by Vampiel; May 14th, 2010 at 09:54 PM.

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Age
    58
    Posts
    24,601
    JFI I am an atheist thats also a spiritualist!!! LOL
    Do I care what someone else thinks...ummmm No!!!!!!

    My beliefs are for no one other than me. So the world can laugh, roll eyes, ignor, whatever! Its not for them anyhow.

    Yes I will laugh when some tells me that a demons lives in my rocks, no matter how serious they are. Actually the more serious the more funny.
    I would know if a demon is in my rock after all.

    Heck I respect others beliefs and if you believe there are demons in your rocks, I wont laugh because they are your rocks and you should know what harbors there. Not my call to make. Not my judgment call either.

    If you believe your going to heaven or hell, I can respect that because for you it may be correct. That may be tour destiny. Heck, its not my call.

    But if you 'tell me' I am or not going to heaven or hell..I will laugh. How would you know where I am going!!! LOL
    I know where I am going.
    You can go where you are going but I wont meet you there. So yes I will laugh when someone is off base about my truths and I will respect them when they express their truths for themselves.

    If you say there are pink cows that fly I will laugh simply because of the extremeness of it and the funky visual. And if you really believe its true..ok. You can.

    Heck I believe anything is possible even if not probable and some things are just funny.

    See, get it?

    I love the amount of extreme, beyond the original examples, some of this has gone to. Entertaining to say the least.

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •