Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 141

Thread: Why Shouldn't "I" Laugh?

  1. #61
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Cape Breton, Canada
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,421
    Quote Originally Posted by vampiel View Post
    *shrugs*

    i was under the impression we learned not to believe in imaginary friends in grade school.

    qft!





  2. #62
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Vegabond Heart, Walkin' Boots
    Age
    46
    Posts
    14,553
    So... I want to be "enlightened" here... What is the terrible double standard?

    Am I to believe that I am supposed to respect the LACK of respect? Like I am going to sit down, say to myself "If this person laughs in my face, and doesnt get a reprimand for disrespecting me... while another person makes an offhand remark toward same person crying wolf, and is handed a few points for being disrespectful" that it is a double standard against you for being non-theist? Like you WANT to be reprimanded and are testing the waters to see if this will be the one that finally does it?

    I guess I am confused. So please, seeing as so many here seem to be in on the joke about double standards, and I am not... could someone explain to me where the Injustice is taking place?
    "There is a sort of jealousy which needs very little fire; it is hardly a passion, but a blight bred in the cloudy, damp despondency of uneasy egoism. "
    George Eliot (1819-1880)

    "... Make Sure To Build Your House Brick By Boring Brick, Or the Wolf's Gonna Blow It Down" ~ Paramore





    Me on deviantART Click Here!



    Wolfie does not PLAY games... I WIN them!

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Under your bed!
    Posts
    12,141
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf O Volos View Post
    So... I want to be "enlightened" here... What is the terrible double standard?

    Am I to believe that I am supposed to respect the LACK of respect? Like I am going to sit down, say to myself "If this person laughs in my face, and doesnt get a reprimand for disrespecting me... while another person makes an offhand remark toward same person crying wolf, and is handed a few points for being disrespectful" that it is a double standard against you for being non-theist? Like you WANT to be reprimanded and are testing the waters to see if this will be the one that finally does it?

    I guess I am confused. So please, seeing as so many here seem to be in on the joke about double standards, and I am not... could someone explain to me where the Injustice is taking place?
    Eample:
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf O Volos View Post
    If you ARENT a Celtic Reconstructionist, and arent really even INTERESTED in knowing about Celtic Reconstructionism, Stay The F Out of the Celtic Paths forums.
    What forum are you posting in and disparaging members of?

    Our ignorance is not so vast as our failure to use what we know. ~ M. King Hubbert

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Vegabond Heart, Walkin' Boots
    Age
    46
    Posts
    14,553
    Quote Originally Posted by Infinite Grey View Post
    What forum are you posting in and disparaging members of?


    Point taken. Thanks.
    "There is a sort of jealousy which needs very little fire; it is hardly a passion, but a blight bred in the cloudy, damp despondency of uneasy egoism. "
    George Eliot (1819-1880)

    "... Make Sure To Build Your House Brick By Boring Brick, Or the Wolf's Gonna Blow It Down" ~ Paramore





    Me on deviantART Click Here!



    Wolfie does not PLAY games... I WIN them!

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    New England.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    1,510
    Quote Originally Posted by Vampiel View Post
    *shrugs*

    I was under the impression we learned not to believe in imaginary friends in grade school.
    Hey.

    HEY.

    My imaginary friend was AWESOME. You hush your mouth. *snerk*
    The possibilities are endless.

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Under your bed!
    Posts
    12,141
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf O Volos View Post
    Point taken. Thanks.
    So you recolonise the hypocrisy?

    Our ignorance is not so vast as our failure to use what we know. ~ M. King Hubbert

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,075
    Well, see...that's the thing.

    There's quite a bit of hypocrisy going on here. Respect my beliefs, keep your mouth shut if you think it's funny, etc. Of course, the atheist is not allowed to have his/her lack of belief respected.

    What these people really want is validation and acceptance.

    No one should have to have their beliefs (or even non beliefs) validated by another.

    Finding something a hoot makes an insecure person feel that they are being slighted or disrespected.

    A person can still be respected but disagreed with - even laughed at.
    "The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common:
    instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views,
    which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that need altering."


  8. #68
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Age
    31
    Posts
    6,224
    Quote Originally Posted by Twinkle View Post
    Well, see...that's the thing.

    There's quite a bit of hypocrisy going on here. Respect my beliefs, keep your mouth shut if you think it's funny, etc. Of course, the atheist is not allowed to have his/her lack of belief respected.

    What these people really want is validation and acceptance.

    No one should have to have their beliefs (or even non beliefs) validated by another.

    Finding something a hoot makes an insecure person feel that they are being slighted or disrespected.

    A person can still be respected but disagreed with - even laughed at.
    I agree. There seems to be a line we're missing though.

    If one doesn't agree with another persons spiritual path, it really doesn't bother me. If you think I'm crazy, I really don't care. What I *do* care about is the people who go after those that hold different beliefs, the same way that, say, fundies go after non-believers.

    I view "you're going to hell because you wear modern underwear" just as laughable as "you're not worthy of any respect because you believe in something that can't be proven."

    So, where does disagreement and personal belief become rudeness and hostility? Does that line matter? Should it?
    Check out my shop for a variety of jewelry, salves, crafts, and more: www.divineessencecreations.com

    Find me on Facebook for updates, coupons, and discussions on products that you want to see: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Divine...85628011493663

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,075
    In my experience if I ask a question that might challenge the mind or make a person think about their beliefs and *why* they believe them - I am hostile and hate said religion and out to humiliate someone.

    I know that atheists (particularly Iggy) are placed in this same category with me because they had the *audacity* to ask, and then laugh when the answer makes no damn sense. So another question gets asked to get a more clear answer. Then another, and another....because nothing makes any sense. Instead of saying "you're right, it makes no logical sense, and for me it doesn't have to" they become angry that you've disrespected them.

    The thing of it is - if people were honest, not defensively posturing, and were happy with who they are and what they believed - the hostility *on their side* wouldn't even happen in the first place.

    So no - there really isn't a line in the real world. You just don't talk about it, and go on your merry way, or share tidbits, laugh at each other, and move on to the project that has a deadline for next week and talk about that.

    In forums, it gets a little crazy because sometimes *even asking a question* has people frothing at the mouth - because they are trying to guess intent. And that is nearly impossible to do on a Forum Board unless you know the person very well irl.

    Laughing hysterically at purple chipmunks and the Druids in Atlantis is considered rude. That's not necessarily disrespectful, though. Being told that it's "pre history" makes me laugh harder. If I called someone an idiot because of it, then I've crossed the line. Saying it's the most idiotic thing I've ever heard - doesn't.

    I really don't care if people have visions of riding dragons. I honestly think that personal gnosis is wonderful. I do have issues with Dragon Wicca because of the belief that it springs from the Druids hanging with the Atlantians - but that's because it's just plain wrong historically....not because someone happens to believe it.

    Religiosity is a great thing. Atheism is great, too. I say live and let live, and laugh all you want in the meantime.
    "The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common:
    instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views,
    which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that need altering."


  10. #70
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Under your bed!
    Posts
    12,141
    Quote Originally Posted by Twinkle View Post
    In my experience if I ask a question that might challenge the mind or make a person think about their beliefs and *why* they believe them - I am hostile and hate said religion and out to humiliate someone.

    I know that atheists (particularly Iggy) are placed in this same category with me because they had the *audacity* to ask, and then laugh when the answer makes no damn sense. So another question gets asked to get a more clear answer. Then another, and another....because nothing makes any sense. Instead of saying "you're right, it makes no logical sense, and for me it doesn't have to" they become angry that you've disrespected them.

    The thing of it is - if people were honest, not defensively posturing, and were happy with who they are and what they believed - the hostility *on their side* wouldn't even happen in the first place.

    So no - there really isn't a line in the real world. You just don't talk about it, and go on your merry way, or share tidbits, laugh at each other, and move on to the project that has a deadline for next week and talk about that.

    In forums, it gets a little crazy because sometimes *even asking a question* has people frothing at the mouth - because they are trying to guess intent. And that is nearly impossible to do on a Forum Board unless you know the person very well irl.

    Laughing hysterically at purple chipmunks and the Druids in Atlantis is considered rude. That's not necessarily disrespectful, though. Being told that it's "pre history" makes me laugh harder. If I called someone an idiot because of it, then I've crossed the line. Saying it's the most idiotic thing I've ever heard - doesn't.

    I really don't care if people have visions of riding dragons. I honestly think that personal gnosis is wonderful. I do have issues with Dragon Wicca because of the belief that it springs from the Druids hanging with the Atlantians - but that's because it's just plain wrong historically....not because someone happens to believe it.
    I pretty much agree with these statements. BUT
    Religiosity is a great thing. Atheism is great, too. I say live and let live, and laugh all you want in the meantime.
    I part ways here - Atheism is not great, it just is. Secular Humanism is great; Rationalism, Logic, Naturalism, Materialism, Utilitarianism are great. Atheism simply is.

    The second part I disagree with is that the idea that Religiosity is a great thing - I won't pander that point, religiosity is a pimple on society's ass; a pimple that more often than not, causes sepsis. The greatest medicine truly is laughter. As one of my heroes once said "I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.." François-Marie Arouet aka Voltaire

    Our ignorance is not so vast as our failure to use what we know. ~ M. King Hubbert

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •