Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Shouldn't "I" Laugh?

Atheism is. I don't really get that. Is it sort of like Pagan - a blanket term for a number of different philosophical ideals?
    "The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common:
    instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views,
    which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that need altering."

Quote Originally Posted by Twinkle View Post
    Atheism is. I don't really get that. Is it sort of like Pagan - a blanket term for a number of different philosophical ideals?
    I think that point was that Atheism is more "natural" and "normal" then being religious.
    Check out my shop for a variety of jewelry, salves, crafts, and more: www.divineessencecreations.com

Find me on Facebook for updates, coupons, and discussions on products that you want to see: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Divine...85628011493663

Ah. OK.

Sometimes I'm a little slow on the uptake.
    instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views,
    which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that need altering."

Quote Originally Posted by Twinkle View Post
    Atheism = "A lack of belief in god, gods or godlike entities."

Any meaning beyond that is not atheism. It's one of the few simple things in the world, yet people still have trouble grasping it.

Take for example; Me, Njorun Alma, DoktorSick, Shanti, Nicholas, and Vampiel.

What is the one thing we have in common? We're all Atheists. Some of us will share some common qualities with some of the others, but the lack in belief in god(s) is the one thing that common to all. Atheism doesn't say anything else about us, that's is it. It's a state of being, rather than a philosophy.
    Last edited by Infinite Grey; May 15th, 2010 at 09:19 AM.

Our ignorance is not so vast as our failure to use what we know. ~ M. King Hubbert

Gotcha. I was overthinking it.

Another point about differences and respect, since MLK and GLBT was mentioned.

You don't make a choice to be gay or black, you do make one to believe in the flying sphegetti monster.

I don't think Dawkins meant he can't respect someone that believes in something that can't be proven, rather someone that believes in what most religions teach. Much of what science teaches can't be proven either, its just more verifiable.

Personally I have respect for some forms of buddism and satanism, and perhaps some others that I'm still researching.

I find religion interesting, and some make more sense than others, but I find it difficult to respect the belief in *insert random imiginary friend that created us and gives me comfort* mentality.

I don't think theirs anything wrong that. On another note, I will quickly lose respect for someone if they are an asshole to a religous person and make fun of them in front of there friends because of their belief.

There are many ways to earn and lose respect, and religion is one facet of a person, and some of the teachings of those religions through living them, can earn my respect.

Which is why I disagree with atheists that believe they can't respect a religous person, and quite frankly find it shallow.
    Last edited by Vampiel; May 15th, 2010 at 10:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vampiel View Post

On another note, I will quickly lose respect for someone if they are an asshole to a religous person and make fun of them in front of there friends because of their belief.

There are many ways to earn and lose respect, and religion is one facet of a person, and some of the teachings of those religions through living them, can earn my respect.

Which is why I disagree with atheists that believe they can't respect a religous person, and quite frankly find it shallow.
    QFT.

Generally speaking bullies who feel the need to demean anybody who disagree with them are very shallow and less secure in their beliefs than they like to appear.
    😈 "It's too bad that stupidity isn't painful." Anton LaVey 😈

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite Grey View Post

If someone tells me I'm going to spend eternity in a fiery pit for eating pork, or for not worshiping some kind of invisible sky daddy - should I not laugh?

If someone informs me with all sincerity that my life and future are effected by the movement Earth compared to the light given off of giant balls of gas burning millions upon millions of km away and in most cases thousands to millions of years before I was even born. - Shouldn't I find that amusing enough to laugh?

If someone demands that I wear a special type of underwear so I can make it into an afterlife, shouldn't I nearly wet myself laughing?

If someone claims to be able know special things about my personality, inner being and health from staring into the empty space around my body... shouldn't I laugh?

If somone threatens to mumble a few words over a dead chicken and goat testicles if I do not respect their majiqual powers - shouldn't I laugh my ass off?

Why should I laugh? It's funny as hell, and I see no logical reason why these beliefs and behaviours (there are loads more) do not warrent mockery.
    Are you suggesting that mockery should be the default response to such things?
    Sure there are times when mockery is the first thing that comes to mind when confronted by something that we find absurd, and sometimes it might be appropriate or understandable.
    But not always.
    😈 "It's too bad that stupidity isn't painful." Anton LaVey 😈

It's a Question of Priorities

I would never mock you for your religious beliefs and would go out of my way to avoid injuring your sensibilities and hurting your feelings.

Until you tell me I can't, especially if you threaten me with death if I do so. Then, it's open season on you, your religious beliefs and the legitimacy of your birth, your sister's and your mother's.

Because, you see, in such a case, it isn't the gods who are being mocked, but the fool who takes himself so seriously that the world must bow to his beliefs. When he demands that you bow to his gods, he is really demanding that you bow to *him*. He sets himself above you, which is the antithesis of human equality. Such a person deserves to be mocked, for he makes himself your enemy and the enemy of everyone who dares to disagree with him.

Mockery is the best weapon there is against the self-important.

Quote Originally Posted by Cassie View Post
    Are you suggesting that mockery should be the default response to such things?
    Sure there are times when mockery is the first thing that comes to mind when confronted by something that we find absurd, and sometimes it might be appropriate or understandable.
    But not always.
    I had several witty responses all planned out. But in the end they amounted to a single onomatopœia.

Duh.

Our ignorance is not so vast as our failure to use what we know. ~ M. King Hubbert

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast