Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 141

Thread: Why Shouldn't "I" Laugh?

  1. #81
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Age
    37
    Posts
    3,417
    You find something humorous then laugh, but silently to yourself. I've done this plenty of times and a smirk might come across my face but nothing more.
    I see nothing wrong with the amusement, but showing a little tact can't hurt.

    Most people I know will realize that I don't quite go with their ideas but be grateful at that little bit of restraint.

    Now if someone asks for specifics, then they get what they asked for. And if they are upset about it then it's their own bloody fault.
    Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans -John Lennon
    Good men don't need rules. Today is not the day to find out why I have so many. -The Doctor

  2. #82
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Europe
    Age
    39
    Posts
    15,442
    Quote Originally Posted by Infinite Grey View Post
    If someone tells me I'm going to spend eternity in a fiery pit for eating pork, or for not worshiping some kind of invisible sky daddy - should I not laugh?
    Has anyone ever told you that, specifically? I doubt it. The idea that you might go to a fiery pit for not eating pork is something I have never heard. Of course, not eating pork is a rule of some religions but I doubt many adherents of such faiths would say that failure to adhere to that rule alone means you are going to hell.

    There are fundamentalist of various religions that might claim that if you do not worship their god you will go to hell. But such people seldom constitute the majority view within their religion. And most people who believe in any kind of god would be eager to point out that your term "sky daddy" is a misunderstanding and misrepresentation of the god they believe in.

    So you could laugh if they are clearly stating something which even their own religion does not believe. And if you feel they are attacking you, you could also laugh as a means of self defense. But if such people are not actively seeking you out to taunt you with such ideas; why bring them up?
    Let's be honest; isn't it you that is on the attack here?

    If someone informs me with all sincerity that my life and future are effected by the movement Earth compared to the light given off of giant balls of gas burning millions upon millions of km away and in most cases thousands to millions of years before I was even born. - Shouldn't I find that amusing enough to laugh?
    You might.
    You might also consider that many ideas that were once thought to be the rantings of crazy people have since been proven by science to be correct. For example the idea that Earth is not the center of the universe.
    If someone demands that I wear a special type of underwear so I can make it into an afterlife, shouldn't I nearly wet myself laughing?
    I find that idea laughable as well. But rather than laugh in the face of some people who suggested that to me, I got them to talk about it. And think about it. It made no difference at all to me; but it may have made some difference to them.

    If someone claims to be able know special things about my personality, inner being and health from staring into the empty space around my body... shouldn't I laugh?
    If you find it funny go right ahead.
    Me, I'd be curious.

    If somone threatens to mumble a few words over a dead chicken and goat testicles if I do not respect their majiqual powers - shouldn't I laugh my ass off?
    If you ever find yourself in that position you will decide for yourself at the time, but in the meantime why bring up such an unlikely scenario?


    Why should I laugh? It's funny as hell, and I see no logical reason why these beliefs and behaviours (there are loads more) do not warrent mockery.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cassie View Post
    Are you suggesting that mockery should be the default response to such things?
    Sure there are times when mockery is the first thing that comes to mind when confronted by something that we find absurd, and sometimes it might be appropriate or understandable.
    But not always.
    Quote Originally Posted by Infinite Grey View Post
    I had several witty responses all planned out. But in the end they amounted to a single onomatopœia.

    Duh.
    I am not sure if that is supposed to be witty or just disrespectful. Perhaps neither. Honestly I just don't understand that response.

    So since you don't wish to answer my question I will give my opinion. As TT said, mockery and laughter can be the best weapons in some circumstances.
    But not in all circumstances.

    While mockery has it's place it is not always the best response to ideas you find silly. For example, it seldom shines light on why people believe what they believe and if you want to discuss such topics on an internet forum doesn't debate require understanding on both sides before it can move on in a constructive way?

    And particularly here.

    Since this is a spiritual sanctuary (it says so on the label) it is clear that there will be many people here who have beliefs which atheists and others might find strange or even unbelievable. So while genuine inquiry is fine, a suggestion that it is acceptable to mock (and thus disrespect) any theistic views you find unbelievable seems to be treading on thin ice. And that is what I took your op to be suggesting.
    😈 "It's too bad that stupidity isn't painful." Anton LaVey 😈

  3. #83
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    New England.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    1,510
    Quote Originally Posted by Twinkle View Post
    Well, see...that's the thing.

    There's quite a bit of hypocrisy going on here. Respect my beliefs, keep your mouth shut if you think it's funny, etc. Of course, the atheist is not allowed to have his/her lack of belief respected.
    I'm personally cool with atheists. Same rules apply to them as to anyone else--leave me alone with my beliefs, I'll leave you alone with your lack thereof.

    Quote Originally Posted by Infinite Grey View Post
    The second part I disagree with is that the idea that Religiosity is a great thing - I won't pander that point, religiosity is a pimple on society's ass; a pimple that more often than not, causes sepsis. The greatest medicine truly is laughter. As one of my heroes once said "I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.." François-Marie Arouet aka Voltaire
    I disagree. Religion in and of itself is not a bad thing. It's when people use it as a reason to be an asshole that we have a problem.
    The possibilities are endless.

  4. #84
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Under your bed!
    Posts
    12,141
    Quote Originally Posted by Cassie View Post
    Has anyone ever told you that, specifically? I doubt it. The idea that you might go to a fiery pit for not eating pork is something I have never heard. Of course, not eating pork is a rule of some religions but I doubt many adherents of such faiths would say that failure to adhere to that rule alone means you are going to hell.
    Actually I have. Muslims can be quite adamant about that... of cause it was one of the lesser of my damning traits and/or habits, more of the cherry on top of the sinful sundae.

    There are fundamentalist of various religions that might claim that if you do not worship their god you will go to hell. But such people seldom constitute the majority view within their religion. And most people who believe in any kind of god would be eager to point out that your term "sky daddy" is a misunderstanding and misrepresentation of the god they believe in.
    According to the polls, 59% of US adults in 2008 believe in literal hell; http://pewforum.org/Religion-News/Be...een-there.aspx That's if of cause you believe the Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life. I've no idea how high it is across the world, but if you go to some of the more religiously oriented countries, they'll not only condemn me to hell, they may even help me on my way

    So you could laugh if they are clearly stating something which even their own religion does not believe. And if you feel they are attacking you, you could also laugh as a means of self defense. But if such people are not actively seeking you out to taunt you with such ideas; why bring them up?
    Let's be honest; isn't it you that is on the attack here?
    Mayhaps I am - but it is they that should be bringing it up, with those in their religion that do believe such things. In this, they're either with me or against me... the mockers or the mocked

    You might.
    You might also consider that many ideas that were once thought to be the rantings of crazy people have since been proven by science to be correct. For example the idea that Earth is not the center of the universe.
    Ummm the idea that the Earth was the center of the universe was born in religious thought... so that's like saying crazy trumps crazy.

    If you find it funny go right ahead.
    Me, I'd be curious.
    Indeed - that's why such people can make a living of such things, the possibility is enough to draw the suckers... errrr curious in. Everyone wants to feel special, everyone wants someone else to see them as special, the hidden parts of their very being.


    If you ever find yourself in that position you will decide for yourself at the time, but in the meantime why bring up such an unlikely scenario?
    Argh, I was being facetious, quite obviously I might add. It's like you've been hanging with Tygertyger or Valnorran too much (great guys, but have a tendency toward over literalism.)



    I am not sure if that is supposed to be witty or just disrespectful. Perhaps neither. Honestly I just don't understand that response.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cassie View Post
    Are you suggesting that mockery should be the default response to such things?
    Sure there are times when mockery is the first thing that comes to mind when confronted by something that we find absurd, and sometimes it might be appropriate or understandable.
    But not always.
    You answered the question yourself... hence the duh.

    So since you don't wish to answer my question I will give my opinion. As TT said, mockery and laughter can be the best weapons in some circumstances.
    But not in all circumstances.

    While mockery has it's place it is not always the best response to ideas you find silly. For example, it seldom shines light on why people believe what they believe and if you want to discuss such topics on an internet forum doesn't debate require understanding on both sides before it can move on in a constructive way?

    And particularly here.
    And then you go on to a condescending opinion piece. I mean seriously, I've over 11 000 posts on my account, you have over 15 000 - we've met on the board. Are you really suggesting you believe I might consider it appropriate to mock people in all circumstances? You're either insulting my intelligence or not doing yours justice.


    Since this is a spiritual sanctuary (it says so on the label) it is clear that there will be many people here who have beliefs which atheists and others might find strange or even unbelievable. So while genuine inquiry is fine, a suggestion that it is acceptable to mock (and thus disrespect) any theistic views you find unbelievable seems to be treading on thin ice. And that is what I took your op to be suggesting.
    Heh, I walk the line constantly.

    Our ignorance is not so vast as our failure to use what we know. ~ M. King Hubbert

  5. #85
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Under your bed!
    Posts
    12,141
    Quote Originally Posted by Cielamara View Post
    I disagree. Religion in and of itself is not a bad thing. It's when people use it as a reason to be an asshole that we have a problem.
    "Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion." - Steven Weinberg

    Religion more than any human construct holds the inevitability of atrocity - I know I know, horrors can emerge elsewhere, but non are so consistent, so reliable in a morbid sort of way, as religion.

    Our ignorance is not so vast as our failure to use what we know. ~ M. King Hubbert

  6. #86
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    New England.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    1,510
    Quote Originally Posted by Infinite Grey View Post
    "Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion." - Steven Weinberg

    Religion more than any human construct holds the inevitability of atrocity - I know I know, horrors can emerge elsewhere, but non are so consistent, so reliable in a morbid sort of way, as religion.
    Hmmm.

    Religion certainly has a history of it.

    But is it the belief in an invisible sky daddy itself that does that to people? Or is it the construct itself? Is there a difference between the belief itself and the practicing of religion? I personally think there is.

    I also think that saying that good people do evil things in the name of religion is somewhat ingenious. If they were truly good people, they wouldn't be doing that shit in the first place, now, would they?
    The possibilities are endless.

  7. #87
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Under your bed!
    Posts
    12,141
    Quote Originally Posted by Cielamara View Post
    Hmmm.

    Religion certainly has a history of it.

    But is it the belief in an invisible sky daddy itself that does that to people? Or is it the construct itself? Is there a difference between the belief itself and the practicing of religion? I personally think there is.

    I also think that saying that good people do evil things in the name of religion is somewhat ingenious. If they were truly good people, they wouldn't be doing that shit in the first place, now, would they?
    Virtually every human being capable of great horrors, provided we can shift the blame - The military have been using this little loop hole in human psychology since... the first military. So long as you feel you are justified, that you're doing the will of a higher power, and can the right wheels click - a good person can slaughter children. Heck, it's pretty much the same principle used in AA and it's 12 steps.

    Religion offers the ultimate in a higher power, the apex authority. Think about it, those thousands upon thousands of Europeans that marched into the middle east during the crusades, that dealt any number of atrocities across the history (the Muslims just as bad in many cases); do you really believe they were all inherently bad people? Did Europe have an excess of evil men?

    No. They were given a free pass into heaven, they were doing god's will.

    This phenomena has been steadily eroded over the years, with the onset of the Enlightenment. The Authority continues to be taken from Religion's hands and into the people's.

    Our ignorance is not so vast as our failure to use what we know. ~ M. King Hubbert

  8. #88
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    New England.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    1,510
    Quote Originally Posted by Infinite Grey View Post
    Virtually every human being capable of great horrors, provided we can shift the blame - The military have been using this little loop hole in human psychology since... the first military. So long as you feel you are justified, that you're doing the will of a higher power, and can the right wheels click - a good person can slaughter children. Heck, it's pretty much the same principle used in AA and it's 12 steps.

    Religion offers the ultimate in a higher power, the apex authority. Think about it, those thousands upon thousands of Europeans that marched into the middle east during the crusades, that dealt any number of atrocities across the history (the Muslims just as bad in many cases); do you really believe they were all inherently bad people? Did Europe have an excess of evil men?

    No. They were given a free pass into heaven, they were doing god's will.

    This phenomena has been steadily eroded over the years, with the onset of the Enlightenment. The Authority continues to be taken from Religion's hands and into the people's.
    Ah, but that trick of psychology is not a fault inherent to faith. It's just something that has been used by people in positions of power within various religious organizations.
    The possibilities are endless.

  9. #89
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Under your bed!
    Posts
    12,141
    Quote Originally Posted by Cielamara View Post
    Ah, but that trick of psychology is not a fault inherent to faith. It's just something that has been used by people in positions of power within various religious organizations.
    Faith is a result of various flaws in human psychology; it is controlling mechanism on so many levels. The ability to make the average person to horrible things is merely the most, dramatic of examples.

    Our ignorance is not so vast as our failure to use what we know. ~ M. King Hubbert

  10. #90
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    New England.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    1,510
    Quote Originally Posted by Infinite Grey View Post
    Faith is a result of various flaws in human psychology; it is controlling mechanism on so many levels. The ability to make the average person to horrible things is merely the most, dramatic of examples.
    I don't think faith is the result of FLAWS in human psychology. More like quirks. A controlling mechanism? Sure, for many people. But that is not necessarily the default.
    The possibilities are endless.

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •