Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Dawkins responding to religion is BS

Quote Originally Posted by Cielamara View Post
    Why is this automatically bad? If someone's HAPPY with the religion they were raised in, why should they have to hear "this is bullshit"?

Oh, sure, I agree with this. But saying "this is bullshit" and going "Hmmm. I wonder if we could improve on this" are two different things.
    "The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. The happiness of credulity is a cheap and dangerous quality." George Bernard Shaw

Our ignorance is not so vast as our failure to use what we know. ~ M. King Hubbert

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite Grey View Post
    "The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. The happiness of credulity is a cheap and dangerous quality." George Bernard Shaw
    Nice quote, but it doesn't really explain why it's so important for you to antagonize people.
    The possibilities are endless.

Why is it necessary to tell people that what they believe is wrong? Is that not any better than proselytizers coming to the door?
    Look at it this way, he sees religion as a scam meant to control the masses. Regardless if what religion is, if you thought someone was scamming alot of people, would you feel a moral imperative to try if you can to stop it?

I like Dawkins and what he has to say, I really do. Though his interviews with believers have given me too much insight into my own beliefs I once held dear. Though it was worth every moment to watch.

I guess my next question is why. Why do you want to question other people's beliefs? What is your desired outcome in this? To understand how people think? To understand your own feelings? Is it a social experiment? What are you hoping to do here (general here, not specifically MW)? Do you simply want to know?
    Most people have believed in things that they have no evidence for, without ever questioning those beliefs. Since those beliefs are connected to how they live and interact with others, it's important to question them.

It is a moral imperative for me to question my beliefs, because my beliefs may be wrong and potentially harm myself or others.

Aside from my two examples, there is something deeper. Spirituality is being taught as if it were true, as if it were truth. So many atheists (such as myself), always wanted to believe, but even more so we wanted the truth. We were duped into believing it had truth, it may have truth, but though we don't believe, we deep down inside still want to believe. So there is also the "I want to believe, but unless I prove it to be real" factor that does persist often times.

there are so many reasons to question. Also, I can't help but to notice how intimidated and defensive people get at the sight of questions of their beliefs. I think that it's the result of wanting something to be real so much, that you'll flat out reject anything else.

I took psychology in high school and because I was doing anthropology, before I put college on hold, I did some psychology in college, what that sounds an awful lot like is denial. Meaning you don't believe, you know something is true, but you want none of it. You want something else to be real so badly that you'll ignore the truth, and go on pretending you have no questions or reasons to doubt.
    ......with liberty and justice for all;
    For all means for all without exceptions!

What is more valuable than liberty? Nothing, not even my own life. As without liberty, is life really worth living?

"those who would give up a little liberty, to gain a little security, deserve neither, and will lose both." -Benjamin Franklin

"Don't Tread on Me" - Forgot

Quote Originally Posted by Njorun Alma View Post
    Raising someone in a sheltered environment where they never hear anything different from what they're told ever is wrong. And unfortunately it happens too often and it becomes a "Because you were raised that way" issue.
    I can relate to this. Being raised a mormon no one ever questioned my belief. I lived a very sheltered life and the lifestyle revolves around the church. You goto bible study in the morning before school when you hit around 13, theirs tons of church activities like basketball, boy scouts, and other sports. We read the bible everyday. Eventually when I was capable of critical thinking I began to question if it really made sense. I quickly came to the conclusion that it didn't and got out of the religion but was still lost as to what I actually believed.

One day when I went to visit a friend in NY her boyfriend happened to be an atheist when I was 20. I don't even remember how it came up but he looked at me right in the eyes and flat out said their is no god, none.

I was pretty baffled at the time but it's what really helped me to think about it in a different way. I had never been exposed to that type of thinking.

Not quite the same as "its bullshit" but I think it would have the same effect on some people.

Quote Originally Posted by Cielamara
    Why do you want to question other people's beliefs? What is your desired outcome in this? To understand how people think? To understand your own feelings? Is it a social experiment? What are you hoping to do here (general here, not specifically MW)? Do you simply want to know?
    Because it's important to question people about what they believe. I don't go around asking everyone but if it comes up I don't hide my beliefs and if they are open to talking about it will give them my thoughts on religion.

The question is kind of silly really which is also the point Iggy was making in the "Why shouldn't I laugh" thread in that religion has been always given a hands off approach and demands automatic respect. Do you ever question people on so many various other topics as to why they view it that way?

I actually view it as the most important thing to question. You'd be suprised how many people have never been challenged and many times may automatically get defensive becaues they may not have any logical reason for it all and simply say "I just have faith". For any other topic that would be seen as a cop out but for some reason religous people believe thats a valid excuse (it's a defense mechanism).

Nice quote, but it doesn't really explain why it's so important for you to antagonize people.
    I thought it was obvious.

Call my antagonism an intervention

Our ignorance is not so vast as our failure to use what we know. ~ M. King Hubbert

*shakes head*

You're a strange and silly birdie.

*shakes head*

You're a strange and silly birdie.
    Heh! I'm not the one that believes in fairytales

Heh! I'm not the one that believes in fairytales
    You have no idea what I believe in, boyo.

Today, on this Earth, tomorrow that may change

Bolding mine

This makes sense to me. I didn't realize what I was doing was actually questioning my religious beliefs until I ran across infidels.org. That was definitely an "intervention" at the time.

I think it may also be just slightly less inflammatory than "bullshit" in some cases. Might depend on how inflammatory you want to be. :giggle:

Glo
    Never too old to explore!!!!

Where am I? Here

What am I doing? Whatever I choose.

Why am I doing it? Because I want to.

Live to love
    but do
    not be a rug--Me

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2