Thread: maximum security prison production of "Hamlet"

is offline Jewish Renewalist/Who knows?

maximum security prison production of "Hamlet"

I was fascinated by this story when I first heard it on This American Life (If you want to find the show searce for "Hamlet". For some reason I can't post a direct link.). Wanted to share it here.

Review

Prison Performing Arts
    Last edited by Djiril; January 8th, 2003 at 04:05 AM.
    Better Know a Child Ballad

My Deviantart Page

A friend of mine in grad school actually used to teach drama and do performances in prisons. It isn't all that uncommon. Generally it's a form of drama therapy - it allows the prisoners to deal with the consequences of their crimes, and other life issues through art - something they often won't do with psychologists and councillors, but which they can through artistic outlets.
    "It is a good divine that follows his own instructions."
    Portia,
    Merchant of Venice, I.2

"If making oatmeal cookies with bugs instead of raisins is wrong, then I don't want to be right" - Bucky Katt

Yes, they provide the prisoners with musical instruments as well. All of these are ways for them to rehabilitate themselves and to express themselves. For some, like my friend, it helped him not only pass the time, but to give him something to focus on, an outlet for his frustrations and fears of spending nearly 10 years away from all of us.

But because of funding, these programs risk getting cut. They don't always get the best equipment, in his last place they only had 2 guitars & they weren't that great.
    It's been minutes, it's been days. It's been all that I remember. <3

Originally posted by LdyStarlite

But because of funding, these programs risk getting cut. They don't always get the best equipment, in his last place they only had 2 guitars & they weren't that great.
    hhhmmmmm, I am having a hard time finding a great deal of sympathy here. Only two guitars and they weren't great?? Damn!

Really I fully understand the importance of such programs in prisons, but I feel that prisons cost enough money to tax payers without complaint about the guitars not being the highest quality. I think they are lucky to have any guitars at all.

Oh, he knows that now. Honestly, he was spoiled. Because he was in a low minimum joint for a real long time and they had all kinds of things to let them play with. I would tease him all the time, "um,hon, you know you are supposed to be paying for your crime?" he'd laugh.

What's funny now, since before he went away, he lost everything. I mean EVERYTHING (i know, no sympathy again, i understand). So now he doesn't even have a crappy guitar to fool around with. But he got himself a job, like me & his girlfriend knew he would and he's taking each day one at a time. He called me last week & sounded exhausted. I teased him, told him now he understands how I feel everyday. Working, studying, spend time with the family.

I know, you guys think i'm nuts. It's okay, I know I am. :D
    It's been minutes, it's been days. It's been all that I remember. <3

Nah, I don't think you are crazy at all. I also believe that people can actually get out of the penal system and turn their lives around. I know they can. I wish your friend all of the luck in the world and I hope he gets himself a guitar very soon!!