Thread: Moving across country

Moving across country

Hubby and I are contemplating moving to Salem, MA as early as next year. We currently live in Chicagoland.

Anyone have any tips on job hunting or keeping sane while looking? I have family here, but he does not. Some of his family actually lives in the East Coast. My mom is obviously not please with us talking about it, but it really feels like something we are being called to do. It is just very nervewracking even though it makes my heart flutter thinking about it!

Thank you and didn't mean to babble on.
    ~Erin~
    stand against domestic violence

RAINN
    I who am the beauty of the green earth
    and the white moon among the stars..

Two years ago, I packed up my life and my kids and my three cats and followed my husbands' new job to lower central Mass(we're about a 2hour drive south-west of Salem). We came from San Diego, CA, land of sun and sand. My mom cried and begged, my six sisters were upset, my kids were not happy; but it's been the best thing for us. I've found a great job that I love, my kids have blossomed, and my husband is happy in his new job. Looking for jobs long distance is hard, but Craigslist is great, and you can get a local papers' listings online, most of the time. When it comes to a move this big, you have to weigh the pros and cons, but most of all, follow your heart. I don't know what path you follow, but prayer and contemplation is always helpful. i wish you luck, and Bright Blessings!

ps If you make it out this way, drop me a private line, and I'll take you to lunch at my favorite deli in Old Salem!
    Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity? ~Steve Polyak

Education: that which reveals to the wise, and conceals from the stupid, the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

“While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.”
    Mark Twain

Thank you so much for the reply!

We both feel this would be an awesome way to go and felt like we were finally home when we were there. A friend and I are going again this September. Play for her, but for me it's to see what it feels like again and then to come home and talk more about it.

I definitely have inner turmoil about it. I don't want to hurt my family, but I also want to live a life that isn't for me.

BTW, we ate at a lot of awesome places when we where there. Which one is your favourite?
    Last edited by ainecrea; June 14th, 2010 at 10:56 PM.
    ~Erin~

RAINN

Quote Originally Posted by ainecrea View Post
    Anyone have any tips on job hunting or keeping sane while looking?
    Keep an eye out on craigslist and indeed.com (pulls listings from all over so you don't have to go to individual sites). Consider contacting a temp agency in the area, and talking to someone there, temp work can turn into full time or just be a great transition until you find something full time.

As for staying sane, make sure you have of spare cash when you move, this may sound ovious, but finding a job is hard right now (took me 3 months to find the one I just got). Take the time to look for work, but don't make that your life. While unemployed do things with your kids and pets, learn more about the place you live, take walks, network, etc.

I moved from Los Angeles, CA to NYC, NY in 2002; drove across the country in a 11' moving truck with a 90 lb dog in the front seat with me. That was the most stressful part of the move!! You're going for a visit before you move so that's definitely a good thing. Have your resume ready and hit employment agencies to meet some of the headhunters; let them know when you think you'll be moving and call occasionally when you've got your move date scheduled. Always keep yourself in their minds so when you actually move, they already know who you are.

Start packing sooner than later. When you decide when you want to leave, give yourself plenty of time to purge and pack. Last minute packing is always a disaster for me; I wind up keeping stuff I didn't want.

Don't worry so much about hurting your family. You're 29 and you're entitled to live your life as is best for you and they're upset because they'll miss you terribly. I was 21 when I left NY for CA and my family didn't want me to go either, they were all upset but knew I had to do what was best for me. I moved with 1 friend and only knew a few people in Los Angeles who were originally from NY.

Moving is always stressful and exciting at the same time. You'll be fine.

Oh and another tip, make lists. To do lists are your friend so you don't forget anything.
    Last edited by WitchJezebel; June 15th, 2010 at 09:14 AM.
    "Knowledge without mileage is bullsh*t"... Henry Rollins

"That moral high horse is a tough perch to stay on"... Me

"PETA doesn't want stressed animals to be cruelly crowded into sheds, ankle-deep in their own crap, because they don't want any animals to die-ever-and basically think chickens should, in time, gain the right to vote. I don't want animals stressed or crowded or treated cruelly or inhumanely because that makes them probably less delicious"...Anthony Bourdain

R.I.P. MiLo
    Run free and catch the rabbits
    4/7/96 - 11/30/10

I didn't even think of bringing resumes with me on this trip because it wouldn't be for another year that we would move, but at least I would have met them and they would have my info.

Thank you both for the insight and information from your experiences!
    ~Erin~

RAINN

My fave is called the Engine House, right across from the fire station downtown. It's a typical sandwich place, but the food is good and inexpensive (a big plus when you have teenagers to feed) and the people are friendly. I like it much better than Yawbus!(subway) Also, I agree with Jezebel, in reference to your family. As hard as it is to let go, every mother raises her children to one day fly, not to stay in the nest or hop from branch to branch in th same tree. (Does it show that I'm watching the bluejays out in the yard? lol) You have a great opportunity to fly to a place that already feels like home to you; your Mom should be able to understand and support you in that. My Mom had a hard time too, but she finally was able to let me go with her blessings. Not that she wasted any time in flying out to see me! You've gotten some good advice in this thread from a lot of smart people, and I think you will do just fine.
    Blessed Be!
    Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity? ~Steve Polyak

Education: that which reveals to the wise, and conceals from the stupid, the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

“While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.”
    Mark Twain

I like traveling very much. I often travel around the country. Now it has become very convenient - you can book tickets, a room in a motel and even parking (https://gotoairportparking.com/) online)

is offline "Ah-HOW-ten-EE-tays" (just call me Jenn)
    I was all set to reply when I saw how OLD this thread is. Thank you, spammer commentor, for the thread necromancy.

I wonder if the original poster ever did make it to Salem. I kind of hope not. Moving to Salem because of the perceived higher number of Pagan or Wiccan population is not a good idea. Salem is expensive and crowded and most of the time, it doesn't live up to its reputation. It's just another dirty, overpopulated East Coast city.
    ~ * ~ * ~ Here's my latest art on Fine Art America ~ * ~ * ~

I also do commissions, so if you're interested in having me paint something specifically for you, just contact me. Mention that you're an MW member, and get a 5% discount on your specially commissioned piece. And if the piece has an animal as the subject, I'll see to it that future sales of the prints also benefit a rescue organization devoted to that species/breed.)