Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Research: Why use the word Witch?

I was a Witch and used the word LONG before all the wannabes and the now cool word to be called, "Wiccan" so I continue as I always have!
    The Lady Vatrovia (LadyV)
    My Site: The Witches Craft
    http://www.geocities.com/vatrovia/

You laugh because I'm different. I laugh because you're all the same!

Lightbulb

Greetings,

I don't use the word "witch" to describe myself. I have been known to call myself a "magician" (but only when performing entertainment magic) and a "mage", much like Puma Hime, and much for the same reasons. I bend energy. I use it to heal and persuade. I would even use the term "motivator" to describe myself, or "inspiror".

I use spells mainly to get people's attention, not to make reality change. I will persuade people, but never considered that witchcraft. I have healed people ever since I learned how to, and never considered that witchcraft. Therefore, according to me I don't practice witchcraft and I'm not a witch.

Which makes me wonder if I even have a clear view what witchcraft encompasses.
    Xentor, your friendly-neighbourhood Checkerist
    Contact me | The Dialogues on Checkerism

"Divinity: the stuff the world is made of." - Me (2009-05-03)

The Great Redwoods of Northern California
    Witch, that is who I am and will always be.

heathen

\Hea"then\ (?; 277), n.; pl. Heathensor collectively Heathen. [OE. hethen, AS. h??en, prop. an adj. fr. h?? heath, and orig., therefore, one who lives in the country or on the heaths and in the woods (cf. pagan, fr. pagus village); akin to OS. h??in, adj., D. heiden a heathen, G. heide, OHG. heidan, Icel. hei?inn, adj., Sw. heden, Goth. haipn?, n. fem.

This is the only deffinition of heathen that I know of (other than the non-religious one)..........and it something my grammy called me as a child when I was being wild

Nothing in the world is friendlier than a wet dog

Sometimes I dream that a big, giant squirrel is carrying me away. Does that make me a nut?

If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?

When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.
    Disciple of Jodarius~~Keep of the Names
    AKA: VroomBroom

Proud mom of a LCPL, US Marine!
    VMAQ1
    Semper Fi!

The people on the heaths (heathens) were the last to be converted (if ever) since they lived the furthest away from churches and lords, etc. Thus why heathen is sometimes used as equivalent to barbarian, though it's closer to a loose term relating to "pagan".

What amuses me is those who steadfastly hold onto being called witches, proudly flying against its connotations then have a conniption about Satanists (who don't worship Satan at all) but use that label because of the negative connotations that word suggests. If we were to stop using every word that has been misused many would be lost.

As to the capitalization, it only serves as useful to the person writing the word, and perhaps some people who read it if they know that standard. But then, people who write the word and read it knowing that standard don't have to be told the difference.

For me, I capitalize or don't willy nilly anyway

The answer I've liked most is - "I call myself a witch because that's what I am."

Oh, wow. Such diverse opinions on such a small word! Here's my $0.02, although I am mostly echoing the sentiment of others.

I use the word "witch" to describe myself, and to me it means a practitioner of magick of any type or color (i.e. green, white/black, ceremonial, religious, etc). Not to say that to be a witch one must practise ALL types, just that a practitioner of any type can be called the same. Like many others, capitalization, or lack thereof, makes no difference to me. Usually, I capitalize it when referring to a specific person, simply because it is a title, and don't capitalize when simply mentioning the word, but that is more a choice based on how I write than how I think about the word.

Raevyn's definition of the word "heathen" suits to a T how I think of that word. I've always thought of a heathen with a "hearth worshipper" connotation. Again, the capitalization comes in here, as most Asatruar *I* know tend to capitalize the word when referring to themselves. So, if I'm referring to my religious practises, especially among non-Paganism-literate individuals, I might refer to myself as a heathen.
    "The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary."
    -James D. Nicoll-

Originally posted by LadyV

I was a Witch and used the word LONG before all the wannabes and the now cool word to be called, "Wiccan" so I continue as I always have!
    Just a note here - I found this post somewhat offensive. "Wiccan" isn't the "cool" word for witch, and many of those who use it do so for reasons as valid as you use your own labels. It's like you're implying you've been a witch longer so your use is valid.

Originally posted by Raevyn

Just a note here - I found this post somewhat offensive. "Wiccan" isn't the "cool" word for witch, and many of those who use it do so for reasons as valid as you use your own labels. It's like you're implying you've been a witch longer so your use is valid.
    By the way, Gerald Gardner used the word "Wica" (spelled with one C) back in his book "Witchcraft Today" which was published in 1954. The word "Wiccan" has been used by lots of people since then.

Ben Gruagach
    MysticWicks forum guide in "Paths: Wicca", "Books" and "History"
    author of The Wiccan Mystic: Exploring a Magickal Spiritual Path
    visit my website at http://www.witchgrotto.com
    read my LiveJournal blog
    find me on Facebook

I'm sorry you found it offensive, but I stand by it! I see, and am around, what I call the "wannabes" on a weekly basis....wearing big (and I mean big) Pentagrams, and spouting off that their "Wiccan". Here in the Highlands of Louisville, to be "wiccan" is indeed the "popular, cool thing", hence my outlook. If my first post here doesn't "fit" you, then don't worry about....it obviously wasn't directed at you. I also did not mean that "all" Wiccans are wannbes...again, you took it that way......
    The Lady Vatrovia (LadyV)
    My Site: The Witches Craft
    http://www.geocities.com/vatrovia/

You laugh because I'm different. I laugh because you're all the same!

If my first post here doesn't "fit" you, then don't worry about....it obviously wasn't directed at you. I also did not mean that "all" Wiccans are wannbes...again, you took it that way......
    Actually, I didn't say anything about wannabes, I said

Originally posted by Raevyn "Wiccan" isn't the "cool" word for witch,
    It's the name of a beautiful religion that means a lot to many people here. Your wording suggests that "Wiccan" is the "cool" word for witch; I'm not arguing about the people you know or whether you said all Wiccans are wannabes, I'm saying that's not what Wicca is.

I'm actually thinking the difference between Wicca and witch was dissected a couple pages ago in this thread.
    Last edited by Raevyn; February 21st, 2003 at 03:03 PM.

I'm sorry you found it offensive, but I stand by it! I see, and am around, what I call the "wannabes" on a weekly basis....wearing big (and I mean big) Pentagrams, and spouting off that their "Wiccan". Here in the Highlands of Louisville, to be "wiccan" is indeed the "popular, cool thing"
    So, how big can a Pentagram be before it is considered to be a 'wannabe' symbol? Maybe these folks you are speaking of are truly Wiccan? Whats wrong with announcing Your Path to everyone around!? People should be proud of their Path!

I think all religions and Path's are cool.

Its fun to be me. :D
    mol

sitegod/system_administrator/founder/member/engineer/enigma
    follow mysticwicks on twitter | my blog

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast