Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tombstones Found in Basement of House

Somewhere, between the sacred silence and sleep. . .

Post Tombstones Found in Basement of House

TRIANGLE -- A man helping ready a home for the rental market found two tombstones in its basement Wednesday.

For a week, Edward Grogg had been doing work at a one-story home on Triangle Street, helping landlord Elliot Diamond get the 60-year-old house ready to be rented again, after two tenants abruptly left with little notice a few weeks ago.

While in the basement, Grogg said he saw slabs of concrete lying on the floor.

"When I picked them up I could feel the grooves, so I took them and turned them around, leaned them against the wall and then I realized they were real tombstones," said Grogg. "I don't believe in ghosts, but I was kind of spooked."
    Full Article

I am not generally spooked, but I would be rather freaked out if I discovered tombstones in my house. What about you guys? Would you be able to live there?
    So tie me to a post and block my ears
    I can see widows and orphans through my tears
    I know my call despite my faults
    And despite my growing fears

But I will hold on hope
    And I won't let you choke
    On the noose around your neck

And I'll find strength in pain
    And I will change my ways
    I'll know my name as it's called again
    ~ Mumford and Sons (The Cave)

"I have been in Sorrow's kitchen and licked out all the pots." ~ Susan Straight
    enter the sanctum

That's pretty creepy. I don't know, it probably wouldn't bother me too much, unless there were actual bodies buried in the basement or something. Maybe the previous owner just took them from an old cemetery as souvenirs.

The article suggested that sometimes people take old tombstones that are worn and replace them with newer ones. The stranger thing was, is that they were recently put there.

But I will hold on hope

enter the sanctum

That certainly is interesting.. I might be a little weirded out.
    There's a rat in my shirt!

I'm gonna be the weird one and say how it would be better than a Christmas morning when I was a kid. I have tiny versions of tombstones in my house anyways, so something like that would be amazing to me, though I would make sure that they weren't stolen or there were actual graves before putting them in the living room. If they were stolen, they would be returned and if there were graves, I would make the basement a sacred space, plus I would be even more excited about that, as I would have a personal supply of graveyard dirt^_^

Okay I'm guessing...
    It really doesn't sound as if these are stolen tombstones..more like old ones being replaced and people taking the old ones instead of them being put into a dumpster? Not totally sure but thats my take. So what this story is leading one to believe is that these were old tombstones that had been replaced by new tombstones..with the residual still intact. So.... after reading that article and what it implies it leads me to the question. Why would a tombstone hold a spiritual essence? Or is it just the spooky factor in effect here. I'm leaning towards the latter here myself. I'd be more inclined to think one would be stuck to the burial site versus the headstone, and the house already having a ghostly factor before hand and the tombstone just being the likely suspect.

daphne
    Last edited by daphnerose; June 30th, 2010 at 12:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kagekarasu View Post
    I'm gonna be the weird one and say how it would be better than a Christmas morning when I was a kid. I have tiny versions of tombstones in my house anyways, so something like that would be amazing to me, though I would make sure that they weren't stolen or there were actual graves before putting them in the living room. If they were stolen, they would be returned and if there were graves, I would make the basement a sacred space, plus I would be even more excited about that, as I would have a personal supply of graveyard dirt^_^
    I would think it was cool if they were old tombstones. But not more modern ones. I think because they are from 1935 and 1980 I would find that strange.

Quote Originally Posted by daphnerose View Post
    Okay I'm guessing...
    It really doesn't sound as if these are stolen tombstones..more like old ones being replaced and people taking the old ones instead of them being put into a dumpster? Not totally sure but thats my take. So what this story is leading one to believe is that these were old tombstones that had been replaced by new tombstones..with the residual still intact. So.... after reading that article and what it implies it leads me to the question. Why would a tombstone hold a spiritual essence? Or is it just the spooky factor in effect here. I'm leaning towards the latter here myself. I'd be more inclined to think one would be stuck to the burial site versus the headstone, and the house already having a ghostly factor before hand and the tombstone just being the likely suspect.

daphne
    That is an excellent question about the spiritual essence and one I hadn't really thought of. I was thinking in terms of the house being haunted and then the tombstones appeared. It's like a mystery.

But I will hold on hope

enter the sanctum

I can understand how that'd be unnerving, but it's not terribly surprising either. I bet they were replaced when they started to show wear, possibly by a family member.
    Last edited by *~Amora~*; June 30th, 2010 at 06:19 PM.
    Αλεξανδρα Δοροθια βωνδ
    http://helleneste.wordpress.com/
    http://www.hellenion.org

I begin to sing of Pallas Athene, the glorious goddess, bright-eyed, inventive, unbending of heart, pure virgin, saviour of cities, courageous, Tritogeneia. From his awful head wise Zeus himself bare her arrayed in warlike arms of flashing gold, and awe seized all the gods as they gazed. But Athena sprang quickly from the immortal head and stood before Zeus who holds the aegis, shaking a sharp spear: great Olympus began to reel horribly at the might of the bright-eyed goddess, and earth round about cried fearfully, and the sea was moved and tossed with dark waves, while foam burst forth suddenly: the bright Son of Hyperion stopped his swift-footed horses a long while, until the maiden Pallas Athene had stripped the heavenly armour from her immortal shoulders. And wise Zeus was glad. And so hail to you, daughter of Zeus who holds the aegis!
    - THE HOMERIC HYMNS - XXVIII. TO ATHENA

Wouldn't bother me..I might even use them as decor, especially in the autumn months around Halloween.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacredsin View Post
    Wouldn't bother me..I might even use them as decor, especially in the autumn months around Halloween.
    I can just see it now....You've got them mounted in the yard and there's a knock on your door - "Hey - that stone from 1980 - That's my Son!"

"Well, you shouldn't have left it in my basement then...duh.."

But I will hold on hope

enter the sanctum

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast