Thread: Familiars?

Familiars?

I think my cat Bella may be my familiar, and that is only because I feel such a close connect to her. I talk to all my animals but I especially talk to her and I feel like she really listens. I have been wondering if she is indeed my familiar but I have not really tried any magick specifically around her, and if I have, well she hasn't seemed to react to it. Sometimes she feels more like a pesky roommate. I heard that you are not suppose to treat your familiars like pets, but that is hard for me to understand. I mean we feed them, take care of them, clean them, make sure they're home before dark. I suppose we treat them more like a child then a roommate but I feel those are all necessary things. They are caring things...could she not be my familiar because I treat her like this?

I have cared for Isis for a number of years now... and I have discovered that all cats listen... but for me, I know she is my familiar because we can actually communicate... This connection has even deepened since we went through the loss of her brother Sphinx... I don't look at her as a pet or a child more of a part of myself... but towards those who don't get it... I would say she is a family member... It would be no different than feeding or caring for my spouse, in my eyes... but I think everyone has a different relationship with their own familiars....

familiar?

so i have had a " special friend" I really dont know if i can call him a Familiar or not since he is not of the Physical nature but more of the Spectral nature i have seen him as a Very Large saber wolf and i have also seen him in a "human" form can anyone help me figure this out? as to what he is? i do know he has a name.

My cat Maggie is most definatly my familiar. She always is there during ritual and magic. She expecially loves it when I meditate with her. She's always so relaxed afterwards

Familiars?...

My cats, Pixie & Salem, and my chicken- Miss Cletus.
    My Website:
    The Witch's Corner
    http://amythystraine.blogspot.com

My Blog:
    Magickal Connections
    http://wytchymystique.com

My Books:
    click Here

Just because an animal has a good connection to you, or is attracted to you when you're doing magic (ooooh, look, shiny things--can I play, too?) doesn't make them a familiar. A familiar is an active participant in magical workings; it's relatively easy to tell the difference when it actually does happen. it just doesn't happen very often.
    http://www.thegreenwolf.com (my main website with books, artwork and other goodies)
    http://lupabitch.livejournal.com (I'm quite active on Livejournal)
    http://paganbookreviews.com(book review blog)
    http://therioshamanism.com (my path)
    My Etsy Shop

is offline Mostly Benevolent Spiritual Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Red-Dragon View Post
    so i have had a " special friend" I really dont know if i can call him a Familiar or not since he is not of the Physical nature but more of the Spectral nature i have seen him as a Very Large saber wolf and i have also seen him in a "human" form can anyone help me figure this out? as to what he is? i do know he has a name.
    this seems to me more the form of a spirit guardian than a familiar but thats Mpo
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Indigo Rising:Benevolent Spiritual Warrior,Seeker of knowledge,Guardian to those in need

I have something similar, although he's more my Totem or Spirit Animal... it's a black dragon... at least I think. He's appeared in many dreams until I had one dream where he fused with my body than I knew.
    "Sleep a sleepless night or forever dream of sleeping one." -by Me

Under the Moon Dancing along the Hedgerow
    I have a Screech Owl.. never comes when I want it too but ALWAYS shows up when I need it....It shows up at least once a moon and the longest it has ever stayed has been 5 days.. sits out back and calls me incessantly. Sometimes it perches in the oak tree next to my front porch. The odd thing is.. it has been coming here since I moved in 5 yrs ago, before that I had a hoot owl at my old home for 9 yrs, I called him Socrates.. I haven't named the screecher ... Not sure I will either... we have an odd relationship. I have the feeling that if I named it or even attempted to become overly acquainted it would not return..
    Last edited by Lilac Moon; September 22nd, 2010 at 02:06 PM.

Ivan Red-Dragon
    When you saw him in his wolf form, was he digging a hole? Did his human form dance around the hole that the wolf dug?
    Shyla