Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Making Runes

Embarrassed Making Runes

If you make your own runes, they'll work just fine, right?

Prescott, AZ soon to be Copperas Cove, TX
    I have two sets of runes. One I bought from the store and one I made myself. And honestly the set I made myself are much more accurate, easier to read, and, in general, speak to me much more than the set I bought. I'm a strong believer in making your own tools, simply because they are attuned to your personal energy because they were made with your hands. That is compared to something mass produced by machines, and handled by who knows how many people. So if you are considering making your own set, which I assume is the reason you are asking the question, I say definitely go for it! Hope that helps!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

is offline Forest-dwelling witchy person
    I have three sets that I made myself, and two that were given to me as gifts. As Avariella said, the ones that I made myself work way better. When you make your own tools, grow your own herbs, whatever, your energy goes into them, making them (again, as Avariella said) attuned to your energy, and also a part of you.

Plus...making your own gives you WAY more opportunity to customize them to get them to look/feel exactly how you want them to!

What are you thinking of making them out of?
    I'm a Christian Witch, and I wouldn't have it any other way!

Proudly German-Canadian.

I find it overly pretentious when people call themselves "Lady _________." My username would just have been "Dryad," had that not been taken and were I not unoriginal in picking names for things.
    By no means do I consider myself "Lady" anything.

I was gonna make mine out of rocks I found in my back/front yard. And thanks fer the help!

is offline Forest-dwelling witchy person
    Quote Originally Posted by xxUnderTheFullMoonxx View Post
    I was gonna make mine out of rocks I found in my back/front yard. And thanks fer the help!
    Good plan! If you're going to be casting the runes make sure your rocks are fairly flat on both sides so that they can easily land on either side. If you aren't going to be casting them then it's not that important.
    I'm a Christian Witch, and I wouldn't have it any other way!

Proudly German-Canadian.

I find it overly pretentious when people call themselves "Lady _________." My username would just have been "Dryad," had that not been taken and were I not unoriginal in picking names for things.
    By no means do I consider myself "Lady" anything.

OH i see. :D

Stone is good, but has some issues. They need to be soft enough to carve (or you need a good chisel) but too hard to break if you cast them in the literal sense. Wood is the preferred material, and -- as far as divination by runes goes -- is the historical material. It has durability, but is soft enough to carve, and is what runes were actually designed to be carved on. If you look at them, you notice that there are absolutely no lines that are exactly horizontal. All are either vertical or diagonal. They would have been carved with the grain of the wood running perpendicular to the main stave of the rune, so that no cuts were absorbed into the grain.

Anything you make yourself has more powers (your personal energies) in them as opposed to something you buy ready made...such as runes.

Last night I actually made my own runes (my very first set!) and am very happy with them.

I bought wood pieces and a woodburning set (burnt my hands here and there but it was totally worth it!)

I posted pictures on my tumblr: http://occultish.tumblr.com/post/262...es-tonight-ive

I also made divination die (dice): http://occultish.tumblr.com/post/262...k-spell-crafts

I say go for it! There are videos on youtube showing you how to make your own runes using different materials. I'd start there for ideas.
    Currently: writing a manual/manifesto on a Pagan uprising

Those look nice! I'm still learning runes and crystals, trying to decide what I want to use

I have 4 sets. (Ashamed)

1 bone.

1 glass (The first pebbles people talk about).

1 made from lima beans (my first set)

1 Amethyst.

I made them all except for the Amethyst and bone.

I like my glass set, but, the bone ones are pretty nice too.

My glass one was also the cheapest I believe, but, I don't use them much anymore because they chip and flake.

I don't know, they all work the same for me.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast