Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Making Runes

Quote Originally Posted by turningtides View Post
    I've actually been thinking of making runes for myself just like this. There were these large flat black wood beads that were crying out for a symbol to be painted on them. Which was odd for me because I don't normally use runes in...well, anything.

Now I feel I should have bought them *will head to Michael's tomorrow*!
    ohhh wood beads sound nice and you should listen to that cry next time lol

I have a wooden yew set made by Tara Hill Designs that I blooded and they are by far my favorite set to use for personal purposes.
    Yes they have beautiful stuff on their site

I like eardcwen's way of "staining" (I'm not sure what that is), sounds like they're powerful after that. :D

As for myself, I only have one set of runes, and I've made them myself. Unfortunately, that doesn't do much in a handmade vs. bought comparison, so reading this thread before buying was a good idea.

As for how accurate I've noticed my runes being... they only work if I pull out a few at a time. I think it's because I'm new at runes. Either way, they work wonderfully... considering what they're made of.

I bought some small, glass decorative beads at walmart; I think you're supposed to put them in a vase to make it pretty. Anyway, they're red and semi-transparent, so I painted the back of them with black nail polish, then with a silver Sharpie, wrote the rune on the front. Unfortunately, they're not flat on both sides.
    They're durable, though: my method of cleansing tools (when possible) is to smack them on a table. Sounds crazy, but it's surprisingly effective. Anyway, none of my runes have even chipped, let alone crack and break. The Sharpie wears off, so clear nail polish on the side would have been a good idea... *headdesk* Another complaint is that the Sharpie point is too thick to write with on a small bead like that, I have to guess at what they are, sometimes, which just confuses me even more.

Now I'm curious as to whether they will work as well as a handmade set made of wood or stone.

Quote Originally Posted by StarlitNox View Post
    I like eardcwen's way of "staining" (I'm not sure what that is), sounds like they're powerful after that. :D

As for myself, I only have one set of runes, and I've made them myself. Unfortunately, that doesn't do much in a handmade vs. bought comparison, so reading this thread before buying was a good idea.

As for how accurate I've noticed my runes being... they only work if I pull out a few at a time. I think it's because I'm new at runes. Either way, they work wonderfully... considering what they're made of.

I bought some small, glass decorative beads at walmart; I think you're supposed to put them in a vase to make it pretty. Anyway, they're red and semi-transparent, so I painted the back of them with black nail polish, then with a silver Sharpie, wrote the rune on the front. Unfortunately, they're not flat on both sides.
    They're durable, though: my method of cleansing tools (when possible) is to smack them on a table. Sounds crazy, but it's surprisingly effective. Anyway, none of my runes have even chipped, let alone crack and break. The Sharpie wears off, so clear nail polish on the side would have been a good idea... *headdesk* Another complaint is that the Sharpie point is too thick to write with on a small bead like that, I have to guess at what they are, sometimes, which just confuses me even more.

Now I'm curious as to whether they will work as well as a handmade set made of wood or stone.

I had a set like that. That was my first handmade set of runes. I got the glass beads from the dollar store though. I did the clear nail polish idea on the front after I wrote the rune on with sharpie. They worked well - and I believe that is so because they were made by me. I don't think it is completely necessary to buy expensive stones and carve the rune into them.

With that said - I have since then bought pieces of bloodstone from a local shop and bought myself a handheld dremel engraver and a paint pen. I love this set just as much as I loved the glass bead set. It works well too. It all just depends on your budget and what you have time to create.

I want to make wooden runes but I'm so picky about it. I want apple wood, preferably, but it doesn't matter what kind of wood. I found a bag of apple wood chips on Amazon but not sure if it's ideal to make runes out of.

I'm trying to locate a rune making kit. I found a website talking about making runes out of wood but it goes onto say a woman should use her own blood! I don't want to do this. I'd like to use ochre or some red ink. I would like to use wood instead of hard stones because it's gentler, easier to throw and it sounds softer.
    The only thing that sucks around here is a straw.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Runa~ View Post
    I want to make wooden runes but I'm so picky about it. I want apple wood, preferably, but it doesn't matter what kind of wood. I found a bag of apple wood chips on Amazon but not sure if it's ideal to make runes out of.

I'm trying to locate a rune making kit. I found a website talking about making runes out of wood but it goes onto say a woman should use her own blood! I don't want to do this. I'd like to use ochre or some red ink. I would like to use wood instead of hard stones because it's gentler, easier to throw and it sounds softer.
    Ah, well, the self-styled Genuine Asatruar From The Homeland swear their oaths on BLOODING them. They had me running scared of buying runes, what with all the dire results that supposedly ensued from using unblooded runes - from giving the Allfather headaches, to making the Norns cry. They warn that the runes only work at their optimal performance if they're given the required drink of blood to work, swearing that you'll be horribly deluded. This is why you don't get runic tattoos willy-nilly, because the drawing of blood opens up the rune's power. One suggested going to a lab, and having two(!) vials drawn 'to take home'.

I would never do that.

I just have some store-bought runes. They're fairly accurate thus far. My only gripe is their fragility. They are really not very well made. Now that I'm getting serious with my rune work, I've been considering hewing off some Yew wood, drawing a knife across my arm, and doing it the old-fashioned way.

I would really rather not do this, considering instead simply pricking my arm, allowing a drop of blood to fall into a bowl of red ochre, and then using that to symbolically BLOOD them.

Taciturn and prudent, and in war daring, should a king's children be;
    joyous and liberal every one should be until his hour of death.

The Words of Odin the High One - translated by Benjamin Thorpe

Quote Originally Posted by Woden's Spear View Post
    Ah, well, the self-styled Genuine Asatruar From The Homeland swear their oaths on BLOODING them. They had me running scared of buying runes, what with all the dire results that supposedly ensued from using unblooded runes - from giving the Allfather headaches, to making the Norns cry. They warn that the runes only work at their optimal performance if they're given the required drink of blood to work, swearing that you'll be horribly deluded. This is why you don't get runic tattoos willy-nilly, because the drawing of blood opens up the rune's power. One suggested going to a lab, and having two(!) vials drawn 'to take home'.

I would never do that.

I just have some store-bought runes. They're fairly accurate thus far. My only gripe is their fragility. They are really not very well made. Now that I'm getting serious with my rune work, I've been considering hewing off some Yew wood, drawing a knife across my arm, and doing it the old-fashioned way.

I would really rather not do this, considering instead simply pricking my arm, allowing a drop of blood to fall into a bowl of red ochre, and then using that to symbolically BLOOD them.
    Oh that is tough! I'm not scared of certain MORTAL people who drink blood and get upset about what runes someone else has LOL. I prefer to do what I've been guided to do. Blood is always a choice here, not always necessary to use for writing. Certain qualities exist in blood though. Ochre is considered a type of blood ink, that was its original meaning.
    The only thing that sucks around here is a straw.

My runes are made from tumbled obsidian. I got the stones from a merchant who used to be on this site. He hand picked the stones based on my specification of flat and being all the same size and shape (within a very narrow tolerance). The reason for obsidian is that my finger tips are sensitive to color and I didn't want that to throw off my readings. The reason for the merchant is that we were online buddies and he gifted the stones to me. Then I used plastic stencils that I made of the runic symbols and etched the stones using the same acid that you use to etch glass. The symbols will never wear off and are not pronounced, so I don't feel them and subconsciously skew the results. I also identify with obsidian as a medium of divination and have a scrying mirror that I made of it.
    That which is not impossible is inevitable.

I've made numerous sets. A few that stand out: my first set carved in mudstone- this one has only the carvings, no other mark or stain. Mudstone (which turns into shale) it isn't optimal for casting runes, as it is soft and tends to split or flake. Nevertheless, I have made many of my sets from it because it's almost always flat, I can carve it easily, and there is a huge supply of it on the shores of the lake I live by. The second set of note is also made of mudstone. They are small, marked in the younger Futhark (I sometimes prefer that script because there are actual poems and meanings for them, not hypothetical translations and guesses) and they have the runes etched into them, then rubbed with chalk I collected near the lake, bound by my saliva. The third major set I have is Younger as well, made of ash taken from a left-over sliver of a fallen tree, collected before a storm and stained with my blood (for the record, I didn't bleed specifically for that. I knelt on a shard of glass, which produced blood aplenty, and I put it to use.)

I don't believe I have the first set anymore. I keep the other two in a leather pouch.

I made a set of Anglo-Saxon futhorc runes from an Ash tree in my back yard (the branch was already down.) I did an offering out of respect to the land vaetir, and during the making, I utilized galdr and smudged them in mugwort. It's one of the herbs from the nine herbs charm, which mentions Woden and his glory twigs. I tend to use mugwort in a similar way native North Americans use sage. However, I was once told that sage should be used like a shotgun, to cleanse a large area, where mugwort should be used like a scalpel, for small, detailed work.

I'm pretty sure there's a good deal of unintended blood, as well as sweat and tears in those runes.
    "I put a capital N on nature and call it my church."

-Frank Lloyd Wright

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3