Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Making Runes

If you make your own runes, they'll work just fine, right?
    Yes I have made a lot of rune sets over the years and I find they work just great. Even if you buy a set that is not created by you can work just as well it all depends on how you charge and cleanse them.

They need to be soft enough to carve (or you need a good chisel) but too hard to break
    There is no law that says you need to carve them I sometimes use paint or permanent marker to make mine.

Wood is the traditional choice, but anything you can do to increase the significance of the rune set to you will increase it's effectiveness.

By studying each rune in depth, one at a time, as you make them, you will increase your association and meaning to them. (As well as the amount of time it takes to finish the project.)

Consider the material you are using as well. If it is wood, what type? Ash? Yew? old mop handle? Obviously the type of material has the potential to make them more "special" to you.

I know a woman who was gifted a set of runes from a former student. They were made of clay, and had some form of self-cleansing stone ground up and added to the clay mixture. She's had them for 15 years, and they are all slightly chipped and banged up. They are her favorite set, and she casts them just as hard as if they were made out of steel. I once heard her tell someone she wasn't worried about them breaking because "They're Norse, they're tough."

Make them your own, and it doesn't really matter what they're made of.
    "I put a capital N on nature and call it my church."

-Frank Lloyd Wright

Quote Originally Posted by SilverClaw View Post
    Yes I have made a lot of rune sets over the years and I find they work just great. Even if you buy a set that is not created by you can work just as well it all depends on how you charge and cleanse them.

There is no law that says you need to carve them I sometimes use paint or permanent marker to make mine.
    I've actually been thinking of making runes for myself just like this. There were these large flat black wood beads that were crying out for a symbol to be painted on them. Which was odd for me because I don't normally use runes in...well, anything.

Now I feel I should have bought them *will head to Michael's tomorrow*!

Of course they will. Make them, cleanse them, consecrate/charge them just like you would any other tool. They may even work better for you than store bought b/c they have YOUR energy in them from the start.

Quote Originally Posted by xxUnderTheFullMoonxx View Post
    If you make your own runes, they'll work just fine, right?
    I have one set that I carved out from ceder. No one has ever touched them except myself, my partner and my daughter. I chose ceder because it is very clean and very strong (which made it amazingly difficult to carve!!) I feel very connected to them and I am very protective of them. When my power is more focused I will carve another set, but I think that I will always carve my own runes.

An old roommate of mine made me a set out of large dried white beans, with the runes inked on using a Sharpie. She found the idea in the book Celebrating the Great Mother, I believe.
    "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."
    Albert Einstein
    Tumblr
    My New Spiritual Journal

Quote Originally Posted by HerbGurl View Post
    An old roommate of mine made me a set out of large dried white beans, with the runes inked on using a Sharpie. She found the idea in the book Celebrating the Great Mother, I believe.
    That was my first set a long time ago.

I still have that set. It's pretty right on and accurate too. You'd be surprised.

is offline Ecentric Pagan Exploring Kemetic
    My first set was mad from small rocks gathered from my grandmother's garden/yard. I believe I used sharpie to write the runes on them

It's finding something the same shape. I found only three of similar stones in my garden, but all the others were not the right shape or size. I have to keep looking.
    The only thing that sucks around here is a straw.

I've made and bought several sets of runes before. I've found that regardless of whether they're made by me or not, the most powerful sets are the ones I have stained ritually with my blood, saliva and orche. Like Odin, Villi and Ve gave form, breath and life to the first humans from wood, I did so with the runes, carving, singing and staining each one.

I have a wooden yew set made by Tara Hill Designs that I blooded and they are by far my favorite set to use for personal purposes.

When reading for other people I use a set that was made for me, carved from a stone mixure of quartz and jasper. I've found it more effort to connect with this set, and they are not blooded.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast