Thread: I'm spinning

I'm spinning

Since I was young I knew Christianity was just not right for me. I was enrolled in a private christain school in elementary school and I never fit in. Over the last 5-6 years Ive come to my own beliefs. Turns out recently I discovered others believe this as well.
    Mostly wiccans, I think. But, what I dont like about the wiccan faith is how its a new belief system. Something about that kind of turns me away from it.

I dont no where to go from here.
    Id like to get into witchcraft, but how does one know when they are truely ready?

Honestly I dont have a nice supply of money to go out and buy this book and that book and I come from a pretty small town here in the deep shouth (the bible belt) so my library is going to be very restricted to what it has on the subject.
    I have found I learn best hands on or watching something. Endless reading on the computer screen leaves me feeling confused with sore eyes. Dont get me wrong.. I will read, I just cant read endless pages upon pages upon pages..

What Ive found myself most interested in and my gifts are herbs (I have a nice green thumb when Im not in depression mode) and channeling energy. I like the thought of healing and spells using herbs.

So...
    With this new world opened up to me I feel like Im standing in the middle of a room with endless isles of books and everything is spinning (kind of like something out of the movie 'Pagemaster'

Where do I go?!?

is offline She who dances to the pulse of the Earth
    Hello and welcome to the forums

But, what I dont like about the wiccan faith is how its a new belief system. Something about that kind of turns me away from it
    I am not Wiccan myself but I was curious as to why it being a new faith would turn you away? Like can you explain the reasons it turns you away?

All faiths are relatively new if you think about it lol As well as always changing and adapting to the time I think.

I don't think that is necessarily a bad thing though. I am not saying Wicca is for you. But I would focus more on the faith, the path itself and your own beliefs to decide which path is a good fit.

Green Witchcraft may be an interest for you. Though I wouldn't worry to much about a label. It may come to you later or you might just stick with eclectic you

I dont no where to go from here.
    Id like to get into witchcraft, but how does one know when they are truely ready?
    Not much help but I feel you just know when you are in a way. I don't think there is a firm way to define "ready". It can be very different for each of us. I picture it as you are inching your way closer to the edge of the cliff. Learning as you go and reaching farther and farther. But when you reach that cliff and your toes are hanging over the edge, are you ever going to feel 100% ready to take the jump? You just have to do it!

So IMHO it has to be done with some knowledge beforehand but also just jumping in and practice. Start very small and work your way up. Once you build confidence and faith in yourself and what you are doing it will come along.

Honestly I dont have a nice supply of money to go out and buy this book and that book and I come from a pretty small town here in the deep shouth (the bible belt) so my library is going to be very restricted to what it has on the subject.
    I have found I learn best hands on or watching something. Endless reading on the computer screen leaves me feeling confused with sore eyes. Dont get me wrong.. I will read, I just cant read endless pages upon pages upon pages..
    You might have luck talking to the library staff. Many libraries even smaller onces have connections to share books with others. So you can kindof order books to be dropped off to your library to another one.

Used bookstores or online used books can be really cheap sometimes. I got my mom an excellent book in great shape for like $3 online. Or do alot of research and read reviews, ask opinions and save up for 1-2 books that are really great.

I do agree sometimes endless reading and it all just blurs together and right after you finish reading it you are like wait what? lol

One thing that may help alot is searching online for groups or specific forums. Though this forum may help alot to. To just discuss and read posts. Less reading and talking and open discussions can often help alot more then just a book.

But more importantly just trust yourself and follow what feels right.

You said you like herbs you might wanna check out-
    http://www.susunweed.com/

or the section of the forums here:
    http://www.mysticwicks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=81
    Listen to my sound. I am the wind, which echos through the trees. The gentle breeze which tickles your flesh. Touch that which you walk upon. I am the green fields filled with fresh flowers. My breast the mountain peaks which reach toward the heavens. My curves the endless canyons. The waters that run through my womb, nourish the sacred river of life. I am the song within the storm. The whisper on the edge of the forest. The silence. The rush of raging waterfalls. Open your eyes my child, for I am everywhere. I have never left you and never will.

I guess what I mean is I feel like its (and I dont want to offend anyone) more "made up" (for a lack of better words) than older religions. Then again in its defense I have not studied on it much.

Thanks for the idea with used book stores! I know of a couple and I just completely forgot about them!

All religions are man made, therefore they have to start somewhere. Wicca is a relatively new religion, but many of its beliefs and practices are rooted in much older Witchcraft. The important thing to remember is that this is your spiritual journey. You must settle upon a path, or draw from multiple sources of inspiration, and go the way you feel lead. I started out with Wicca a decade ago, because it was so largely accessible. Most Pagans I knew identified as Wiccan. Most written metaphysical resources were written from a Wiccan slant or explicitly about Wicca. Wicca is more widely known. Basically I didn't know where to go from that starting point, because resources outside the realm of Wicca seemed so scarce.

If you have a natural gift for herbalism and gardening, then perhaps you're innately inclined toward the path of Green Witchcraft. While there are books and websites on the path, it's largely about honing your natural talents in working as one with nature and incorporating natural elements (such as flowers, herbs, rain water, leaves, etc.) into your practice.

Or you may find you'll reach a place where you will be comfortable in not having a particular set path, rather draw from several paths and their tenets and practices and develop your own way. No matter what, be true to who you are. I wish you the best of luck

Thank you LadyDancer

Quote Originally Posted by SarahFair View Post
    I guess what I mean is I feel like its (and I dont want to offend anyone) more "made up" (for a lack of better words) than older religions. Then again in its defense I have not studied on it much.

Thanks for the idea with used book stores! I know of a couple and I just completely forgot about them!
    It wasn't "made up." At least, no more so then every other religion in the world. And, although I'm sure I could guess if I had to, what have you been reading to learn about Wicca?

Quote Originally Posted by DaughterOfInanna View Post
    It wasn't "made up." At least, no more so then every other religion in the world. And, although I'm sure I could guess if I had to, what have you been reading to learn about Wicca?
    I did not mean to offend you.. Sorry if I did.
    Ive been reading all over the internet

is offline My pet Cricket has restless leg syndrome
    Quote Originally Posted by SarahFair View Post
    I did not mean to offend you.. Sorry if I did.
    Ive been reading all over the internet
    That's the thing. You have to take everything you read on the internet with a grain of salt. You have to figure out what rings true to you.

What I've been told over and over is "Just because someone put it down in print, doesn't mean its the gospel."

I'm 3 years running into my studies on Wicca and I'm still figuring stuff out. You're not alone