Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Meditation Help

is offline Only when it's dark can you see stars

Meditation Help

I've been into the pagan ways for awhile and I'd love to be more engulfed in it. Meditating, sitting in the dark with candles lit is something I love to do, but I just don't do it a lot. My family would never understand me, so I do it in privacy when I'm not at risk of someone walking in.
    can anyone offer any advice on meditating more and trying to get around the whole "family is christian" thing???
    -Amethyst

is offline Forest-dwelling witchy person
    Meditation is not just a Pagan thing...I know lots of Christians that meditate.

Personally I meditate a lot while I'm on the move...walking somewhere, doing dishes, things like that. I find it easier to get deeper into it if I'm doing something. It doesn't have to be blatantly obvious that you're meditating if you think it will put off your family.
    I'm a Christian Witch, and I wouldn't have it any other way!

Proudly German-Canadian.

I find it overly pretentious when people call themselves "Lady _________." My username would just have been "Dryad," had that not been taken and were I not unoriginal in picking names for things.
    By no means do I consider myself "Lady" anything.

Buddhists have been meditating for 2500 years and it's a big part of Buddhism. Though the methods employed in Buddhism differ considerably from the ones found in Buddhism. The neo-pagan methods seem focused on visualization, mental journeys and relaxation. The Buddhist methods focus on developing meditative "staying power" (the ability to stay in meditative states for prolonged periods of time) and concentration (developing a "laser-like" focus of the mind).

Technically, you can meditate any time, anywhere. Actually it's preferable to do so, as the ultimate goal is a better focused and quieted mind ALL the time, not just when you make the time for it. Even doing mundane things like waiting for a traffic light or washing dishes... they are good times to practice. That way, when you are able to get good quality alone time, you'll be able to make better use of it and not feel like you have to cram it in real quick.
    I always practice clearing my mind, making it perfectly quiet... and that's something you can easily do while doing just about anything. If you can master that, the rest of your meditation experiences will be 100x better.

Quote Originally Posted by Octavia Agiel View Post
    Technically, you can meditate any time, anywhere. Actually it's preferable to do so, as the ultimate goal is a better focused and quieted mind ALL the time, not just when you make the time for it. Even doing mundane things like waiting for a traffic light or washing dishes... they are good times to practice. That way, when you are able to get good quality alone time, you'll be able to make better use of it and not feel like you have to cram it in real quick.
    I always practice clearing my mind, making it perfectly quiet... and that's something you can easily do while doing just about anything. If you can master that, the rest of your meditation experiences will be 100x better.
    I agree. You can get into that state while you're sitting on the bus or jogging. If your family is suspicious of meditation because you're sitting in a lotus position etc then you can assume a more discrete position such as lying down.

Explain to your family that meditation is a form of mental exercise that helps you release your stress and helps you focus. It's not a way to commune with the devil and cast spells.

is offline She who dances to the pulse of the Earth
    When I lived at home there was a ton of people and not much privacy. They didn't care if I was a witch but still it can be so annoying having people walk in on you and such when you just want some alone time lol

Take walks- walk down to a park and sit under a tree. Or just walk. It can be so peaceful and relaxing.

Meditate right before bed. Everyone was usually going to bed so it was nice and quiet around the house I could just sit in bed and meditate.

Taking a nice long hot bath late at night can be great too for some personal time. Which no one ever minds if you have candles lit during a bath!!
    Listen to my sound. I am the wind, which echos through the trees. The gentle breeze which tickles your flesh. Touch that which you walk upon. I am the green fields filled with fresh flowers. My breast the mountain peaks which reach toward the heavens. My curves the endless canyons. The waters that run through my womb, nourish the sacred river of life. I am the song within the storm. The whisper on the edge of the forest. The silence. The rush of raging waterfalls. Open your eyes my child, for I am everywhere. I have never left you and never will.

is offline Only when it's dark can you see stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Caelestis ♥ Raven View Post
    When I lived at home there was a ton of people and not much privacy. They didn't care if I was a witch but still it can be so annoying having people walk in on you and such when you just want some alone time lol

Take walks- walk down to a park and sit under a tree. Or just walk. It can be so peaceful and relaxing.

Meditate right before bed. Everyone was usually going to bed so it was nice and quiet around the house I could just sit in bed and meditate.

Taking a nice long hot bath late at night can be great too for some personal time. Which no one ever minds if you have candles lit during a bath!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Avanti View Post
    I agree. You can get into that state while you're sitting on the bus or jogging. If your family is suspicious of meditation because you're sitting in a lotus position etc then you can assume a more discrete position such as lying down.

Explain to your family that meditation is a form of mental exercise that helps you release your stress and helps you focus. It's not a way to commune with the devil and cast spells.
    Quote Originally Posted by Octavia Agiel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Death the Kid View Post
    Buddhists have been meditating for 2500 years and it's a big part of Buddhism. Though the methods employed in Buddhism differ considerably from the ones found in Buddhism. The neo-pagan methods seem focused on visualization, mental journeys and relaxation. The Buddhist methods focus on developing meditative "staying power" (the ability to stay in meditative states for prolonged periods of time) and concentration (developing a "laser-like" focus of the mind).
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyDryad View Post
    Meditation is not just a Pagan thing...I know lots of Christians that meditate.

Personally I meditate a lot while I'm on the move...walking somewhere, doing dishes, things like that. I find it easier to get deeper into it if I'm doing something. It doesn't have to be blatantly obvious that you're meditating if you think it will put off your family.

Thank you That really helps a lot. I'm still learning about things as I go about the path I want to take and things that can help me. I never really knew you could meditate so easily. Thank you all again.

I know how you feel. My whole family is Christian and if I told them I switched paths, they would go psycho, as if the world was going to end. At least there's someone who's going through the same thing. (:

I also read the tips. They are very good and I'll put them to thought from now on.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by MidnightSong View Post
    I know how you feel. My whole family is Christian and if I told them I switched paths, they would go psycho, as if the world was going to end. At least there's someone who's going through the same thing. (:

I also read the tips. They are very good and I'll put them to thought from now on.
    I also have a very Christian family, and thought that coming out to my mother that I was bisexual and pagan would send her over the edge. I was right to a certain degree. I did get the sermons on the evils of homosexuality (though I am only bisexual). As to the Pagan thing I got told "I don't care who you pray to as long as it's the god of the bible."
    I use yoga to meditate. It is less threatening poses (especially the indian sit), and you can say you are just exercising. I also put in Vivaldi's Four Seasons to help me to relax, and let go. If I'm especially agitated, I will Judas Priest. These help me, I suggest you find some music that will put you in the right state of mind, that you can later tune out as you get deeper into your meditation.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast