Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: CoT Discussion Thread: Weigh in with YOUR opinion!

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy Artemisia View Post
    But I don't understand what you mean.
    I can't speak for her but I think she means that even a pay-for-teaching model teachers will bail.

I want CoT to be awesome. But we need to have committed people on both sides to make that happen.
    at current rate the option you don't really want is the best option.

However If you want the CoT teaching to be awesome. then reviewing them would have to be stricter. also they would have to provide at least one substitute teacher if they can not continue with the course. I'm not sure if that was discussed.
    MYSTIC WICKS Needs your help!Please donate or subscribe!

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

I can give teachers my phone number. I'm good with that and probably will do that in the future. Teachers commit to a class, and should do everything they can to actually be able to teach it. Sure, life gets in the way, but if someone's life is prone to getting in the way, said person shouldn't sign up to teach. Their energy is better focused toward whatever tends to get in the way. Perhaps I'm expecting too much, but I've had to trek it down to internet cafe's to be able to get my students papers graded when I said I'd do it.
    I would appreciate it if you could do that with the phone number because I know for myself sometimes I have been offline a lot longer then I said I would be and had no way of contacting you.

And ya I think in some cases you do expect to much because not everyone has the money or the access of a library or internet cafe. I know that has been a problem for me in the past. If I had such access I would not have cancelled some of my classes.

Originally Posted by Ivy
    This doesn't happen in a pay-for-teaching model, but that's not something we are looking at. We want this to be a community-driven service. Teaching by us, for us.
    and said this:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SilverClaw
    Ya actually it does happen Ivy both online and in real life.
    But I don't understand what you mean.
    I was just making the point that having a paid service does not always guarantee the teacher or students would not bail out that is all.

In regards to the "have your whole class (1/2-whole, depending on teaching history) done before you post it rule," this was a new rule, and was meant to keep people from flaking out. It worked. I can think of at the very least, one person who told me they'd teach several times, but never posted their class, due to issues. I'm glad. If they had posted their class and flaked out twice during the duration, it would just leave more students without a class.
    As I said I understood the reason for the rule I just found it hard to be able to do one whole class at once and I know others did too.

This rule may be removed, depending upon many reasons. I'm working a new idea, now, actually.
    Look forward to hearing what your new ideas are.

I want CoT to be awesome. But we need to have committed people on both sides to make that happen.
    I agree and now that I am somewhat stable and kids are all back in public school I can definitely focus on my classes again. So when things are running let me know what I can do ok ?

However If you want the CoT teaching to be awesome. then reviewing them would have to be stricter. also they would have to provide at least one substitute teacher if they can not continue with the course. I'm not sure if that was discussed.
    We have tried the substitute teacher option before and it did not work out very well.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLadyIre View Post
    < Has already expressed willingness to teach a course here to another admin.
    Haven't heard back yet, however.

CoT is a fantastic tool, for people, a great way to build confidence for people, with a passion for learning and teaching.

People are always going to "flake-out" but I think this does not need to be an issue particularly.

The teacher can still post his or her course, still offering that information to the members, and if any student needs one to one time, then the teacher should be commited enough to ensure each student can receive the support they need.

This is the teacher-student mutal respect. That 1) The teacher will agree to turn up and teach the subject they have stated, and provide support to the students, and 2) That the student agrees to turn up to participate and allow the teacher to guide them.

I think ridding the CoT would be a really sad thing, for all.
    This was pretty much what I was going to say and suggest

Also, I am willing to teach a class. I did apply on the website some time back ago but never heard back. I guessed it was because it was no longer active.

I am a qualified teacher that is currently on temporary retirement to be a SAHM, so have no qualms about dedicating my time at this stage in my life or being serious about it.
    Last edited by Annyka; September 16th, 2010 at 08:20 AM.
    "I'm a foodaholic and I'm on the road to recovery."
    "You can't really love anyone who never makes you laugh."

Daughter of Yinepu-Wepwawet. Beloved of Satet and Amun-Ra

I offer reasonable priced readings, please take a look here AND on Facebook

I am so excited that we are getting somewhere w/ the CoT topic!!! Self-guided is something that works for me, as is a structured class - just as long as it doesn't die out!

I'd really like COT to continue and be a student, but nursing school comes first, so I need a class that will allow me some leeway with getting assignments in on time. I also miss the regular ol' forum template. I could never figure out the newer COT site. I learned a lot from COT over the years in both the ongoing and archived classes.

Quote Originally Posted by Caitlin.ann View Post
    I'd really like COT to continue and be a student, but nursing school comes first, so I need a class that will allow me some leeway with getting assignments in on time. I also miss the regular ol' forum template. I could never figure out the newer COT site. I learned a lot from COT over the years in both the ongoing and archived classes.
    100% ditto

is offline To Far Blue Mountains and Shores I Go
    I think there are to many issues here to really give a reasonable answer.

I know the change of serves resulted in a lot of issues in the COT. Made it difficult to hold a connection to a course in progress when all the material vanished. Made it equally difficult to have an attachment when one did not know if it would happen again. I saw people active in a course before it occured that were no longer active after it.

I know for me personally I prefer a schedule that moves in a standard time frame. To draw it out over months simply makes me loose interest. It also seems to imply that my time is not of such worth that it becomes hit or miss.

That hit or miss becoming even more of an issue when I try to go online to access the material only to discover the site once again is down. I realize the teachers have no control over that facet but when time is a factor and you give your time and attention to schedle such and the site is gone doesn't do much to motivate you to keep trying to come back.

I think the other discouraging thing is when you expect or anticipate the course to be dynamic and it turns out to be one or two people contributing it tends to loose its appeal. Again my perspective only but I prefer to read and hear other's thoughs and opinions on the material. Makes more room for growth and potential for said growth.

If it is to be self paced and somewhat closed then why do I need the course really? I can find a book or video for that.

Quote Originally Posted by MonSno_LeeDra View Post
    I think there are to many issues here to really give a reasonable answer.

I know the change of serves resulted in a lot of issues in the COT. Made it difficult to hold a connection to a course in progress when all the material vanished. Made it equally difficult to have an attachment when one did not know if it would happen again. I saw people active in a course before it occured that were no longer active after it.
    IMO i think that was only part of the reason for the present condition.

I think the other discouraging thing is when you expect or anticipate the course to be dynamic and it turns out to be one or two people contributing it tends to loose its appeal. Again my perspective only but I prefer to read and hear other's thoughs and opinions on the material. Makes more room for growth and potential for said growth.
    again maybe one or two aspects of the course. I took one course in there. The system was never down and more than one or two people were contributing. both the teacher and students had no problems working with the software. The teacher just never came back. I have to check if she came back recently. And she was damned determined to have that course set up. asking multiple times to have it done.

If it is to be self paced and somewhat closed then why do I need the course really? I can find a book or video for that.
    because it's free and a lot of people can't buy a lot of books or know where to look. If the self paced courses were pay to see then I would agree with you.

ETA: just checked on the teacher. She just created an account at the time and posted less than 150 posts. and left three months later and so far never came back and this is over a year ago. to me it looks like some of the teachers do not take position seriously nor this place.
    Last edited by lightdragon; September 16th, 2010 at 02:46 PM. Reason: had to add something.
    MYSTIC WICKS Needs your help!Please donate or subscribe!

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

I had a couple of courses I wanted to take completely flake out before they started or we got a week into it and the teacher disappeared. I had a great experience with Ivy's course, but, the others left me with a bad taste in my mouth. I stopped trying to sign up when I saw that no activity was happening over there.

Personally, I like self-driven classes because I can go at my own pace, but, I also like the idea of a teacher who can guide me.

Thanks for discussing this and trying to come up with a feasible solution for everyone.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast