View Poll Results: Remove protected status?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm Non-theistic and I vote yes

6 60.00%
  • I'm Non-theistic and I vote no

1 10.00%
  • I'm theistic and I vote yes

3 30.00%
  • I'm theistic and I vote no

0 0%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Protected status

I'm not a fan of protected status in general. So, yes.

I don't think it needs to be all or nothing. Debate is important to some groups but others don't want to have to defend, debate or be challenged in any way when they come to the Paths section. For example, as someone aligned very closely with Satanism, I don't mind people challenging my views. If it encourages me to evaluate and reevaluate why I think the way I do then I think it is very positive to be challenged.That seems to be a common characteristic among Satanists. On the other hand, I know we have plenty of members that don't want that at all. They want a place safe from criticism or questioning where they can converse with like minded people. Some feel they are challenged enough in day to day life. They don't want it when they come here. I want both groups to be satisfied.

The reason I separate the groups in the poll is because I don't want my decision based on skewed poll results. The poll is public so that I can be certain that the majority of voters are those that participate regularly in the subforum. That is an important part of my decision process, as is the general feeling overall. I don't want to put a blind poll up because that makes it too easy for users to open up (or keep closed) a forum that the actual participants of that forum don't want. Everyone can see who voted which way in a public poll like this one.
    Support MW by subscribing

We don't exist without your help.

is offline SEXY conservative asshole with a heart
    Quote Originally Posted by Caitlin.ann View Post
    Non-theistic and "no" because until someone convinces me otherwise, I feel it should be an all or nothing sort of thing for all paths sections.
    Well, let me try to convince you otherwise. Non theistic covers many forms of atheism, whether it be the hardcore atheist like Iggy or the softer atheist like yourself. I would argue that as people who do not believe in something we can not prove we do not need the protection of being questioned on our beliefs as we can back our beliefs. It is one thing to need protection if you believe in things where your only defense is "faith". I personally do not believe any path should be protected, however I will not participate in the other threads for other paths...with that said, if they choose to remain protective, I think we are rational adults and don't need a nanny state in our subforum.
    Last edited by memnoch; September 19th, 2010 at 10:41 PM.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. H.L. Mencken

I should add while I'm not very active currently it is because it is a protected forum...I tend to avoid protected forums because I can not always control the part of me that needs to question much and debate even more.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by memnoch View Post
    Well, let me try to convince you otherwise. Non theistic covers many forms of atheism, whether it be the hardcore atheist like Iggy or the softer atheist like yourself. I would argue that as people who do not believe in something we can not prove we do not need the protection of being questioned on our beliefs as we can back our beliefs. It is one thing to need protection if you believe in things where your only defense is "faith". I personally do not believe any path should be protected, however I will not participate in the other threads for other paths...with that said, if they choose to remain protective, I think we are rational adults and don't need a nanny state in our subforum.
    Makes sense, thanks for explaining.

Don't think I should vote as I don't come to this section. I do think though that it should be go depending on what the people in the section want.

I don't really care what goes on in this one as I don't post here. However, if all the paths are unprotected then I for see alot of people leaving. I don't come here to debate, I don't believe just because someone puts something out there it becomes open for debate just because some people cannot control themselves.

I would like to say that I would like to see there not be a need for a protected status, but that would require people to control themselves and respect others and back off when its not a debating issue.

just my .02, my very drugged up .02, so some of it might not have made sense haha.

Makes sense, thanks for explaining.
    did I persuade you enough to vote to make this unprotected?

Lol it wouldn't matter anyways, Shaun, I'm already out voted.

Lol it wouldn't matter anyways, Shaun, I'm already out voted.
    hey, it's Memnoch . Besides, every vote counts

Quote Originally Posted by memnoch View Post
    hey, it's Memnoch . Besides, every vote counts
    Want me to fix?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast