Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What do people think about the Pennsylvania Dutch Powwow Practitioners?

What do people think about the Pennsylvania Dutch Powwow Practitioners?

I didn't know if this was the right place to put it. If the powers that control this site knows where it really belongs then please place it there. What I want to know is what do people think about the Pennsylvania Dutch Powwow Practitioners. There are still tons of Penn Dutch around, I can claim fully that I'm one of them even though I'm only part Penn Dutch, and they practice folk magic along with being Christian.

My family came from Germany a long time ago and my grandfather told my mother that she was Pennsylvania Dutch. I'm very proud of what I am, by blood, and if any of you have a comment please let me know. I would really love to hear from you.

Dutch...powwows!!?

My Native American mate had one helluva laugh at THAT!!!
    Its Edna the Stunt Double. "Help, I've fallen and I have no legs!"[/FONT]
    Yesterday is but a memory.
    Tomorrow? But a dream.
    You can only live for Today.
    So make today a yesterday worth remembering fondly tomorrow! (c)

Click HERE to enter Paxglade Valley!!!
    YahooIM...twigjatmetacrawler
    Official Crazy Old Man of MW!

AKA Mad Jack Cash - Bard on the Loose

No, it has nothing to do with Native American. It was brought over from Germany when the Germans arrived to the new world. They settled around the 1600's due to William Penn and his belief in freedom of religion. At least that's how my mother told me that her father told her.

Quote Originally Posted by Twig View Post
    Dutch...powwows!!?

My Native American mate had one helluva laugh at THAT!!!
    I'm Native as well and that never made sense to me. The first time I heard that, I lol'd and then I went "really, that's what they call it?"

Generally, when speaking about the Penn Dutch, it's spelt pow-wow even though the origins of the word are the same (a Narragansett word meaning "spiritual leader" or "medicine person" although wiki incorrectly states it as meaning "a gathering of medicine men"...but it's wiki, whaddya expect?)

There's a wiki entry on pow-wow as Penn Dutch folk magic here, but I don't know how accurate it is as I know next to nothing about it.
    Sat Wepwawet-Yinepu meryt Sekhmet-Hethert
    "Ki'sommkiistomisam waamisookiiksisapoo, noohkohka'pssi kiistinoonnitsitapii"
    "Ba ar pet sat ar ta"
    Spiritual blog:
    Dividing by Zero: Hanging out with God(desse)s

I posted the topic title when I was half asleep. However I was wide awake when I posted what I was asking. Thanks Phoenix_Falls for not giving the kind of answer the other one gave. I tried to find a section on the site that I could post this question but I fell short. Another thing that I do know about the Pow-Wow practitioners is that their a dying breed.

The Dutch Pow-Wow was practicing folk magic long before Wicca came on the scene and thus I believe they are the ones that should get the honor of being the first people that practiced Witchcraft in North America. Naturally since it's a blend of Christianity and witchcraft, like those Romanian gypsies, it's not the kind of witchcraft that's practiced today.

Unlike witches they don't believe in a goddess but the Lord G-d. They go to church but their magical. They fight against black magic and heal. I think it's pretty cool, for me, coming from that kind of heritage. Add my Native American, Italian, and Druid Heritage and I think I"m one magical person.
    Last edited by Sekhmet Soul30; September 26th, 2010 at 06:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sekhmet Soul30 View Post
    I didn't know if this was the right place to put it. If the powers that control this site knows where it really belongs then please place it there. What I want to know is what do people think about the Pennsylvania Dutch Powwow Practitioners. There are still tons of Penn Dutch around, I can claim fully that I'm one of them even though I'm only part Penn Dutch, and they practice folk magic along with being Christian.

My family came from Germany a long time ago and my grandfather told my mother that she was Pennsylvania Dutch. I'm very proud of what I am, by blood, and if any of you have a comment please let me know. I would really love to hear from you.
    I've got a bit of penn.dutch in me too. Unfortunately i don't know anything about pow-wow's or anything. I have been meaning to order this book https://www.createspace.com/3348023 might be of interest to you too.
    ~*~ )o( Blessings in Shadow & Light! )o( ~*~

~ Semper Fi ~

Thanks, it sucks not be able to get your hands on information about your own people and their practices. There's so much about Wicca, Witchcraft, and such but hardly nothing on Pow-wow. I've found a couple of books but nothing like the stuff on Wicca and Witchcraft.

I'm proud to be a Pennsylvania Dutch girl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

is offline Forest-dwelling witchy person
    All I know about this is that the title "Pow wow" was something that was adapted by Pen. Dutch settlers after they'd been in North America for a while. Maybe they heard it from the Native Americans, and just liked how it sounded? lol

Germans in Germany definitely never referred to their magic by that title.
    I'm a Christian Witch, and I wouldn't have it any other way!

Proudly German-Canadian.

I find it overly pretentious when people call themselves "Lady _________." My username would just have been "Dryad," had that not been taken and were I not unoriginal in picking names for things.
    By no means do I consider myself "Lady" anything.

True, I don't even know what they called their magic. That's why I'm still seeking out answers.

Thumbs up Book Suggestion

I have read this book and found it pretty informative. It doesn't really delve into many secrets but it might help kick-start your search.

http://www.amazon.com/Hex-Spellwork-...dp/1578631823/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast