Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What do people think about the Pennsylvania Dutch Powwow Practitioners?

Under the Moon Dancing along the Hedgerow
    It has been my understanding that the German immigrants observed and watched the Native American ceremony and seeing similarities in regards to the use of herbs for healing adopted and converted the term to Pow-Wowing.. In my families traditions of Appalachian Folk practice, there is little available and what I have found has proven to be modernized and contorted. With a minimal understanding of the culture, it has been transmuted into a neo-pagan falsification.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The basic and essential "grimoire" of Pennsylvania German "Pow Wow" is called "Der Lange Verborgene Freund," or "The Long Lost Friend." The English translation of it is widely available on the Net. Like, HERE.

You will notice while reading it, however...that it is thoroughly Christianized. While there are modern attempts to remove such nonsense, there's very little left once you do. It's very interesting, but not really applicable to people who aren't from that particular ethno-religious group. (Kinda like trying to separate Catholicism from American Voodoo...only more difficult...)

However, there are some interesting historical stories attached to Hexenmeisters (which loosely translates to "Witch-Masters" BTW...) such as the infamous story of Nelson Rehmeyer. Enjoy!

Buy my latest book, ACHERON, as an exclusive audiobook from Audible.com now!
    (Or sign up for a 30-day trial of Audible.com, and get it for free!)

Difference between Pow-wowing and Hexenmeisters

Is there a difference between Pow-wowing and Hexenmeisters? I read some where that some of the Hexenmeisters were involved in Satanic rituals or that they knew more about the Occult then others. Personally this dispels a lot of Christian views that Wicca was what brought the Occult to America since Hexenmeisters came long before the Wiccans came. Let me know what you know, I'll be grateful.

I'm asking this question because I don't want to rely souly on the internet, which can be misleading.

Quote Originally Posted by Sekhmet Soul30 View Post
    Personally this dispels a lot of Christian views that Wicca was what brought the Occult to America since Hexenmeisters came long before the Wiccans came.
    Oh the occult existed in the States ages before Raymond Buckland founded his Gardnerian Long Island Coven in 1963. The occult is a vague term that can be describe many philosophies&practices. In a sense it can describe certain elements of Native American religious practices. America was founded by forefathers that were a part of esoteric fraternities&societies like the Freemasons. In the occult sense of Western esotericism&magick, when all of the occult societies were driven underground in Europe due to WWII, they flourished in the States. The OTO almost became non existent, and was held up by a couple of working lodges in North America. Its passed former OHO, who was imprisoned in a Nazi camp due to his association with Freemasonry&Aleister Crowley retired to the States after he was released where he took over the OTO's responsibilities after Crowley's death. Germer even died in the States before Wicca came to the shores, and met with Gardner in New York, who spent a few years in America himself, at the end of Crowley's life.
    Last edited by Micheal; April 11th, 2011 at 03:29 AM.
    Semper Fidelis

Forgive my 2 cents

Hi everyone,

Speaking about the Pennsylvania Dutch:

Why are they called dutch when the people of the Netherlands are called the Dutch and they speak Dutch Language although here in the Kingdom of the Netherlands where I live *although I am an American* They call their language Nederlands and the people are called Nederlanders. Its just something Ive found odd thought Id share. Also German Language is Deutsch or something like that and the country Deutschland. Anyone have an explanation for me?

Quote Originally Posted by Symandinome View Post
    Hi everyone,

Why are they called dutch when the people of the Netherlands are called the Dutch and they speak Dutch Language although here in the Kingdom of the Netherlands where I live *although I am an American* They call their language Nederlands and the people are called Nederlanders. Its just something Ive found odd thought Id share. Also German Language is Deutsch or something like that and the country Deutschland. Anyone have an explanation for me?
    English-speakers like to confuse people and give funny names to things.

Quote Originally Posted by Aruinn View Post
    English-speakers like to confuse people and give funny names to things.
    Oh I agree totally.

Quote Originally Posted by Symandinome View Post
    Hi everyone,

Probability wise its from the way Deutsch was pronounced then repeated by the locale populations. Over time simply becoming Dutch. Not really that uncommon in affect / effect upon how words were spoken or even written. An affect / effect that is seen quite often in the way family names are changed in spelling and enuciation.

Tioga county in both Pa and NY used to have many 'Pow-Wows' or HexCrafters not all were Christianized though the majority of the Pa Dutch practices were heavily influenced by Christianity. Hex Craft is a 'carry over' from ancient Germanic magick systems and includes the use of runes. I also believe that the HexCraft of the Americas has been heavily inlfuenced by the Haudenshonee whom are indeginous to the areas that many HexCrafters orgionally settled.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Illumae
    To give spiritual light to, inform, uplift, reveal, guide.

An informal circle of independent Psychic and Spiritual Advisors.

Things have been covered, mostly...
    The most important book of Penn Dutch hexerei, "The Long-Lost Friend" had the subtitle "Pow Wows" reflecting that by the early 1800s the terms were being used together. There will be a critical edition of LLF coming out soonish - see backalong this thread: http://danharms.wordpress.com/2011/0...iend-indexing/

That book itself is one of the books that folklore made into a 'devils book' (despite being filled with Christian magic). Some Penn Dutch wouldn't have it in their homes because of its 'satanic' reputation.

One well-respected book on hexerei by a modern author is here (with lots of other links): http://www.amazon.com/Red-Church-Pen.../dp/0982031858

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2