Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: What do you call your book of spells?

What do you call your book of spells?

A fun question for this path. What do you call your book of spells? I call mine a Grimoire.

Most non Wiccan Witches I know call it a journal or grimoire with very few calling it a BoS, but some do.

I personally just say journal to most people. Keeps them from peeking in. Besides that most people around here wouldnt know what a grimoire is.

herbal_legends Guest
    I call mine a Grimoire but to other people I just say it's my journal as well lol

I don't. I don't have a book of spells. All spells/rituals I do are usually done on the fly, or with research done before hand...but little if anything written down.

I've tried the whole book of spells things...and it always gets dropped by the wayside. What I do one time often gets changed the next time, and the next time. Especially with spells, situations are often different so the spell will change to reflect this.
    ~*~ )o( Blessings in Shadow & Light! )o( ~*~

~ Semper Fi ~

I decided on calling mine a Grimoire. It's a lot better then calling it BOS, which has another name to which I won't write on this reply.

Under the Moon Dancing along the Hedgerow
    I have a canvas tote that I keep my journals and current interests... When in the kitchen, it hangs on a hook between the wood stove and my herb cabinet... If anyone asks what it is or what's in the bag, I tell them it is "My Bag of Tricks"...

The bag has some hand stitched pieces, beads and assortment of odds and ends attached.. I pretty much take it everywhere I go... Along with my journals, I keep a sketch pad and pencils for plant drawings etc.. I also have a half bushel basket with a burlap liner. It has pockets for my knife, small baggies, rubber bands etc...

I know, this was about what you call your book.. got carried away.. million pardons..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Sekhmet Soul30 View Post
    I decided on calling mine a Grimoire. It's a lot better then calling it BOS, which has another name to which I won't write on this reply.
    I'm curious, why is calling it a Grimoire better than calling it a BoS?

ETA: Personally, I call mine my Book of Shadows. I don't like the word grimoire, personally, though originally my plan was to have a grimoire with my rituals and spells, and a BoS with my notes, thoughts, journaling. It ended up to be one (well, five) giant journals with everything all mixed up. I don't want to reorganize it, as I love looking back at things in my own handwriting. It's like a scrapbook of my magickal past. Thank the Gods for post-its. Even before I was Wiccan, I was calling it a BoS.

My coven book is called our Book of Shadows, though I am Wiccan, and that seems to be a theme. However, most of my witchy friends aren't Wiccan, instead are eclectic Pagan, and most of them call their books BoS's- those that keep them, that is.
    Last edited by Ivy Artemisia; September 30th, 2010 at 12:49 PM. Reason: ...had to close the window.
    Ivy Artemisia
    Twilight Spiral Coven [Site | Facebook]
    Hearth and Hedgerow [Site | Etsy Shop]

When I do peek into it I call it my BoS..not Book of Shadows, but BoS, only because I'm lazy. Grimoire or Book of Shadows or Journal is just too much of a mouthfull for me to say sometimes.

I've got no problem with the word Grimoire. As a Traditional Witch I don't believe in calling my book of spells a BOS, or Book of Shadows, I like using the ancient word.

herbal_legends Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Caitlin.ann View Post
    When I do peek into it I call it my BoS..not Book of Shadows, but BoS, only because I'm lazy. Grimoire or Book of Shadows or Journal is just too much of a mouthfull for me to say sometimes.
    haha!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast