Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: What do you call your book of spells?

Book of Shadows may be a fluffy name but i prefer it ^_^ Grimoire is always a name i keep for my info-book, the Book of Shadows being my records and spells, kinda my magical journal. Honestly I don't see how "grimoire" any less fluffy than BoS. Just shoot me if i start spelling magic with a k.

Of course, these days I just call it "my laptop" as that tends to be where all my info is. I reckon if i do make a new BoS soon i'm going to give it a completely different name - something to the effect of "Kitty's Unholy Word"
    Last edited by DiscordianKitten; October 1st, 2010 at 03:47 AM.

~ Blog: Kitten of Discord ~ Twitter: @DiscordianKitty ~

"Demons have existed [...] for at least as long as the gods, who in many ways they closely resemble.
    The difference is basically the same as that between terrorists and freedom fighters." Terry Pratchett, Eric

Respect is earned. So is disrespect.

Honestly I tend to call mine either a Grimoire, BoS (pronounced "Boss"), or "My Woo-Woo book".

Though it's affectionately known as, BFBoA - "Big F***ing Book of Art", "The big F-er", "Hurley", "Effercio", Grammar, Grammarie, and occasionally some very humorous names like "Wilbur Whatley's Guide To Summoning Things Larger Than Your Head."

Other than calling it a "Spellbook" or "Journal", BoS or Grimoire/Grammar is just about the best term for ensuring others know what you mean when you're communicating about it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Under the Moon Dancing along the Hedgerow
    Quote Originally Posted by EntwinedScylla View Post
    Honestly I tend to call mine either a Grimoire, BoS (pronounced "Boss"), or "My Woo-Woo book".

Though it's affectionately known as, BFBoA - "Big F***ing Book of Art", "The big F-er", "Hurley", "Effercio", Grammar, Grammarie, and occasionally some very humorous names like "Wilbur Whatley's Guide To Summoning Things Larger Than Your Head."

Other than calling it a "Spellbook" or "Journal", BoS or Grimoire/Grammar is just about the best term for ensuring others know what you mean when you're communicating about it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got a grimoire and a digital grimoire. What's great about the digital is that I can add things to it from the web that I like, like poems that I found, artwork that's super cool, and remove things that I don't like. I'm thinking about printing it out and binding it so that I have a version that I didn't have to hand write, thus getting a hand cramp.

I call mine my "book of sunshine"... It's sort of the hippie take on "book of shadows" :P
    i am not a pretty girl. that's not what i do. i ain't no damsel in distress and i don't need to be rescued. so put me down, punk. perhaps you'd prefer a maiden fair... isn't there a kitten stuck up a tree somewhere? --ani difranco
    The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice Kingsley: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are..."

Pretty cool name, Book of Sunshine. I don't think that Book of Shadows is relevant today because witches don't need to hide their book anymore since you can practice whatever you want without being killed for it.

I don't think that Book of Shadows is relevant today because witches don't need to hide their book anymore
    "Need"? Too personal to define as a blanket statement, honestly. I would no more want others pawing through my book than I'd want them pawing through my underwear or medicine cabinet. Unfortunately, it's fellow witches more than anyone else who seem to -want- to paw through it, moreover to draw things from it, which is quite gauche given that one would expect more understanding from one's fellows. The best explaination I heard for "BoS" as a name, is that it is as personal as one's shadow, and as intimately connected.

There's something to be said for keeping a secret. In this day and age, where Google and Facebook know more about us than our closest family, it's not a bad idea to have a few things that -are- private.

since you can practice whatever you want without being killed for it.
    Not exactly true. There are still innocent people being killed as witches all over the world, and a rising tide of "witch hunts" against children in Africa. Even in the US there is still a very real risk of being fired, being assaulted, having your kids taken away, having your home raided, and in some places (wrong place, wrong time, wrong people kinda situations) there IS a real risk of getting yourself dead if people know you're a witch.

To paraphrase Tolkien "Soft and swift as shadows we must be, for the great eye ever watches."
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I call it my "handy-dandy-notebook" because I write everything from spells to relevant phone numbers etc in there. The phone numbers and email adresses get sent to the back but mostly I do my spells on the fly and never the same one or same way twice.

Greenwolf

is offline Forest-dwelling witchy person
    I call mine my blue book...it's a blue coil bound notebook. The one before that was my red book.

It was...you guessed it...red.

It mostly contains useful information, correspondences, substitutions, etc. I don't write spells down.
    I'm a Christian Witch, and I wouldn't have it any other way!

Proudly German-Canadian.

I find it overly pretentious when people call themselves "Lady _________." My username would just have been "Dryad," had that not been taken and were I not unoriginal in picking names for things.
    By no means do I consider myself "Lady" anything.

Grimoire.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast