Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: What do you call your book of spells?

Quote Originally Posted by EntwinedScylla View Post
    Not exactly true. There are still innocent people being killed as witches all over the world, and a rising tide of "witch hunts" against children in Africa.
    -Raises hand- South African here, and yes we've had a bit of this in the news. Unfortunately the, well let's face it, black South African's definition and use of the word "witch" is very different to the western definition.

Quote Originally Posted by LadyDryad View Post
    I call mine my blue book...it's a blue coil bound notebook. The one before that was my red book.

It was...you guessed it...red.
    I love this. It makes me think of the blue book of fairy tales, the red book of fairy tales, etc.
    Last edited by DiscordianKitten; October 2nd, 2010 at 04:09 AM.

~ Blog: Kitten of Discord ~ Twitter: @DiscordianKitty ~

"Demons have existed [...] for at least as long as the gods, who in many ways they closely resemble.
    The difference is basically the same as that between terrorists and freedom fighters." Terry Pratchett, Eric

Respect is earned. So is disrespect.

BoS. Maybe it sounds fluffy to some people, but I always liked "Book of Shadows"; it sounds secret and close, and (to me at least) generates an undercurrent of uncertainty - because not everything secret is safe and comfortable to do or to know.

IMO, anyway.
    ~ Cheers! ~

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy & good with ketchup.

Stop your ceaseless, senseless babble! If you will not dig deeper than your shallow perceptions, then I shall put this shovel to better use and open your mind the hard way. *waves shovel threateningly*

The worm in the apple is just extra protein: shut up and eat it.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodkitten View Post
    [COLOR=Magenta]South African's definition and use of the word "witch" is very different to the western definition.
    It's the same as it used to be for Westerners - someone who does harmful magic. Someone who works with evil spirits to do evil things. It's only been in the last 50-ish years that it's changed to "Wicca good and love the earth and woman power"

"witch" is still the word used, and still conjures up scary things. People here still believe some of the same things that some people in your corner of the world do.

Unfortunately, some American Witches tend to lack some of that tact and forethought of "only discuss things like this with people you know aren't going to stone you to death in the woods". Hence my suggestion that in this day and age the "NEED" to hide things may be more about the tact and good sense to keep some things personal and private.

Back to "Books" - There's a section in my "book" which is thoughts and musings on this very topic. Great quotes from pagan elders, great quotes from fellow witches and the admonitions of my mentor who's ideas about secrecy were encapsulated by the fact that his own wife was unaware of his practices (she finally caught on when one of her pagan-ish co-workers described Esbats - she realized her husband was either a werewolf, or a witch... ).

I'm currently helping a friend assemble her own book, she may call it yet another name from what I call mine. Just like my former student called his something entirely different and filled with with evocative drawings rather than evocative text. I believe his was a "Wraithbook".
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Right now I call mine a "Book of Magic". Although it's not so much a book as a file folder on my computer (which I call "compy"). I would love to have a physical book some day but right now convenience is an overriding factor.
    てるてるあした。きょうはないでも、あしたはわらう。(Tomorrow will shine. Today you didn't but tomorrow you will smile)

Quote Originally Posted by Willowbark View Post
    Right now I call mine a "Book of Magic". Although it's not so much a book as a file folder on my computer (which I call "compy"). I would love to have a physical book some day but right now convenience is an overriding factor.
    Hah I love "compy"...I keep a computerized file that I call my Book of Words (just didn't know what else to call it). It is a book of words! Otherwise I have too many little books floating around: a pink book for tarot study, a green book for dream recall, etc. and every week or so I try to combine the most important and method-based stuff into my computer book (the Master book if you will).

"Word Pad" on my PC, I dont have a hand written one. I only write them on paper if I am going to use them...then I burn the written spell. If it works I will use it again, if not I delete it from word pad and try something else. I may decide one day to write certain ones down in a journal of some type to pass down to my daughter.

"But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg."-Thomas Jefferson, Notes on Virginia, 1782

My Beliefs

I just call mine the Grimoire

Well I have used grimoire and Book of Shadows...mostly when I am feeling in a fun pagan mood. I keep a few books mostly notebooks where I randomly jot down ideas from uses of a certain herb, to rituals or how to interpret cards, so I guess journal applies to those but I just say my notebook. My actual "book" which is more digitial than written atm, I give an actual name, Appalachiad, its what it always been called since I began seriously keeping one. The physical book changes from time to time but the spirit always tranfers.

I call mine my Book of Shadows, however, I am thinking of changing things up so that any solar working I do I will record in a Book of Light and keep all the Lunar workings in the Book of Shadows. At the moment *most* of what I have recorded is on my puter ~ time to become more disciplined and take the time to record by hand what I have learned on my path thus far.

I just call my various notebooks Spell Book. They are all Spell Book. Lol. I am really liking Blue Book and Red Book, though. Brown Book may be in my future. I don't really understand keeping my book secret. Then again, I have nothing to hide, but I also don't just keep my spiritual items out and about for all to see. If someone asks based on what is out, I will show them if they are earnest in wanting to learn. Frankly, as far as keeping my religion a secret goes, most people assume that I practice whatever they do. I simply don't correct them if it doesn't seem important at the time. If people ask me, instead of assuming, I tell them the truth. I will answer their questions or explain what my beliefs are. Ignorance is the enemy of my religion. Ignorance and fear breed hate.
    Last edited by CaeruleusLady; December 13th, 2012 at 02:34 PM.
    "Bubble, bubble, toil, and trouble, the sheep in the fields, the cow in the corn."
    "The past is like a fish. You can't change it."

Check out my shop on Etsy:
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/HoodedCrowCrafts?ref=si_shop

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast