Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: What do you call your book of spells?

BoS: Book of Stars. Because first time I saw "BoS", even though I had heard of the "correct" name, I just slipped out the stars part. It fits, I think because I've always wished/reflected by starlight, and I've always felt more drawn to stars, and they are a major part of my life, and the BoS is the major part of where I chronicle my journey and ideas.

I have Tarot Journal/Notebook, Rune Journal/Notebook, etc as well, which I use as a more indepth study, a focused notebook. I use them to keep track of certain readings and reflections and meditations before or as an alternative to putting it in my BoS.
    Even when your hope is gone, move along just to make it through the night.
    my blog

Accepting Tarot Requests

My Umm...This One'll Do...*grabs notebook at random and scribbles down notes*

All joking aside, I do call it a Book of Shadows. I started off Wiccan and old habits die hard. Plus it sounds mysterious and appeals to all five of my scorpios.

I sometimes call it a 'grimoire' in the same voice I say 'boudoir' when I mean my bedroom.
    "It's like a dream to try to remember but it's gone
    Then you try to scream but it only comes out as a yawn
    When you try to see the world beyond your front door"

*Banner and sig by Geministar*
    AM currently accepting reading requests (because why not?)

Ghosted by Eternal Night!
    :irish: Shamrocked by Annorah!

I don't really do spells, but i do use diction... it depends on what you mean though it isn't characteristic of how spells tend to be presented.

I call mine a nvwoti digohwedi, however nobody can ever pronounce that so in relation to others i call it a grimoire of shadows.
    it is a 5" think black binder at the moment.
    I also have a white binder that has family recipes and traditions of a less hidden nature, of get-togethers and such.
    Whereas the black book is that of medicine adept, its recipes are for healing the four bodies, not cuisine.
    in truth the white book is more of a cookbook, we like to eat.
    in the black book of course i do have seasonal recipes for the ceremonies.

Sometimes i refer to my black book as a Grimoire of Shades, referring to the communication with certain entities, ancestors and embodying certain concepts and experiences passed down.
    what we do there affects ourselves and the next generation. Though "shadows" is more common a description, traditional witches will often talk of shades however I'm not sure how may who read Cunningham, Buckland or Starhawk would understand what I mean by that.
    Last edited by Humming Bird; October 5th, 2015 at 11:34 PM.
    Tsalagi Nvwoti Didahnvwesgi Ale Didahnesesgi
    (Cherokee medicine practitioner of left and right hand paths)
    anikutani.stfu-kthx.net - The Anikutani Tradition

This is one of my favorite things to talk about and read about and watch youtube videos on! I call mine a Grimoire because I love the archaic sound of the word. It just sounds old and knowledgeful to me. I will at times call it a Book of Shadows also but since I'm not wiccan any longer I try to go with Grimoire. I just tend to thing Book of Shadows is easier to say than Grimoire for some reason - LOL!

So to build on the original question do you show your finished pages to people or do you keep them all private? I know some like to show their pages and some feel that they shouldn't be shared.

I only have one book but it is four composition books hot glued together. I am still working on the cover and the spine. I put anything I want to in it including spells, herbs, crystals, dreams, feelings, pictures, etc. In the next couple of weeks I hope to get the cover finished.

If anyone feels comfortable enough sharing what theirs looks like and/or some pages inside, I would love to see them! I don't have pictures of mine, but will share if I ever remember to take pictures!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5